Trending UP!

Advertisement
When are people going to realize that we are the mother ****ing Miami Hurricanes and three losses in a season should be the rare exception--not the goal.

No one is hoping for 3 losses every year, we all want to see the canes go undefeated and win championships, what is there not to understand or realize? Do we have some magic formula that no one else has? Do we have a huge or loyal fan base? boosters? Money? recruiting budget that no one else has? Are we the only team that recruits S. Florida? Are we untouchable by the NCAA? These aren't excuses, its reality!

I hear so much about how great S. FL talent is and how we should only recruit South Florida and never lose. Is this reality? Why the **** does Alabama and ND both have more national titles than Miami, FSU or Florida?
We've had 4 seasons with less than 3 losses (2000-2003) and 2 losing seasons since 1995. The 80's and early 90's was good for the U but let's not pretend that we've been dominating college football for the past 20 years. Most of these posters know our history from watching "the U" and listening to Uncle Luke tell his stories about how bad we used to be.

Oh by way, I saw that Howard was 7-4 in his 4th year after going 9-2 the year before. I guess we should have fired him for recruiting all that South Florida talent and regressing. How dare he! Good thing the USFL took him the following year. It took Butch until his 6th and last year to get double digit wins. I can't believe we let that clown hang around while losing 3 or more for the first 5 years in the Big East! How can we not fire him after going 5-7 in his 3rd year? I mean we are Miami right? We should never have a losing season; we've only had 2 losing seasons since 1980!

Another member of the "South Florida talent is overrated" group. lmaoooo

I never said it was over rated, just that it does not equal to automatic championship. All of our great teams had a core of local players which is expected of every championship team anywhere. We add to that core a few studs from out of state like Kaya, Berrios, AQM, Jenkins, Corn, Dobard, Gus, Young, Herdon, Wyche, Hertelou, Kamalu, Njoku, Kirby, and Gadbois, we will have a contender next year. All 15 of the guys that I named should be in the 2 deep next year and 10-11 of them will be starting.

Last edited:
Awful post. Year 3 we returned 20 of 22 starters, one of whom was Mike James who was replaced with Duke Johnson. Get the **** out with that young team bull****. Last year was disgraceful and this year, year 4 is looking like the worst year of this losers tenure yet.

Yes, that was last year. We went from 7-5 to 9-4. We probably go 10-3 or 11-2 if Duke didn't get hurt against FSU. I didn't mention this team being young. I just said that the senior class is small so we have a lot of depth coming back next year.

What does Duke getting hurt have to do with VT, Duke, and UL putting a combined 1,500 yards on us?

Do you still think we would rush for only 14 yards against Louisville and 28 against VT last year if Duke was healthy?

Yes, I think we beat Duke as well.
2012: Duke Johnson had 173 yards rushing and 3 TDs and 1 reception for 12 yards. He also returned 4 kicks for 89 yards. We beat Duke 52-45.
2013: Duke Johnson is injured we lose to Duke 48-30.
2014: Duke Johnson had 155 yards rushing and 1 TD and 2 receptions for 10 yards. We beat Duke 22-10.

Awful post. Year 3 we returned 20 of 22 starters, one of whom was Mike James who was replaced with Duke Johnson. Get the **** out with that young team bull****. Last year was disgraceful and this year, year 4 is looking like the worst year of this losers tenure yet.

Yes, that was last year. We went from 7-5 to 9-4. We probably go 10-3 or 11-2 if Duke didn't get hurt against FSU. I didn't mention this team being young. I just said that the senior class is small so we have a lot of depth coming back next year.

What does Duke getting hurt have to do with VT, Duke, and UL putting a combined 1,500 yards on us?

Do you still think we would rush for only 14 yards against Louisville and 28 against VT last year if Duke was healthy?

2012: Duke Johnson had 173 yards rushing and 3 TDs and 1 reception for 12 yards. He also returned 4 kicks for 89 yards. We beat Duke 52-45.
2014: Duke Johnson had 155 yards rushing and 1 TD and 2 receptions for 10 yards. We beat Duke 22-10.

We had like 550 yards against Duke last year. Duke Johnson is not worth 18 points by himself, and would have marginally, if at all, increased our offensive output. It's a bull**** excuse. We got worked in those games because we suck. Just like we have already gotten worked three times this year with Duke because we suck.

People have already forgotten how bad the NCAA thing ****ed up our depth.

When Duke went down last year, he was replaced by what is currently our backup free safety. We couldn't run on ANYONE once Duke went down.

If you can't run on anyone (and your defense isn't good to begin with) you're gonna lose to every decent team you play. That's football.

Advertisement

When Duke went down last year, he was replaced by what is currently our backup free safety. We couldn't run on ANYONE once Duke went down.

If you can't run on anyone (and your defense isn't good to begin with) you're gonna lose to every decent team you play. That's football.

The depth is so bad because so many kids transferring and being kicked off

The depth is bad because golden cant manage or mold young men. Especially young men who need a little more tough love.

Al also has done too much moving players around to try and fit players into his scheme.

the depth issue is mainly goldens fault. to be honest

The depth is bad because golden cant manage or mold young men. Especially young men who need a little more tough love.

Al also has done too much moving players around to try and fit players into his scheme.

the depth issue is mainly goldens fault. to be honest

Yep.

Fly The F*cking Banner.....

Every school has transfers and dismissals.

You COULD argue that Miami, during this NCAA bull****, tried taking some calculated risks with players that were known goons and/or academic questions marks to try and cut corners. Players like Gabe Terry, Angelo Jean-Louis, Dequan Ivery, Derrick Griffin, Kevin Olsen and even Stacy Coley & AQM had big question marks that any Joe Schmo who frequents the recruiting board knew about. But let's not forget how desperate we were to keep our program afloat all the way back in.... early 2013.

2014 was the first class in forever in which every signee actually made it in by the Fall. Also the first full class of the Golden tenure where there were no NCAA question marks on signing day. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

But even under those circumstances I just mentioned, our depth & talent has gotten BETTER every year since 2012. I don't think anyone could make the argument that it hasn't. But I'd actually like to see them try.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hey OP dude - From one alumn who has literally bled for the U and can't stand today's program, I have to give you props for stating your case.

Instead of trashing your point of view, I will provide you with a counter argument which hopefully helps provide some perspective. When Golden joined us, I was one of the ones who was disappointed thinking "Temple wtf?", but he grew on me given his media presence and his ability to weather the storm during the NCAA crapp.

However, I was missing a big point, which is what I think you're missing as well. First, I agree the guy is not as terrible as some portray him. The guy has had an OK career and probably will continue to have one. Heck, he may win one one day somewhere else.

What's missing, which I was blind to notice the first couple of years, are the intangibles needed to be a Champion at Miami. Look, the guy has the X's and O's to win some tough games and as long as he stays here we'll continue to win 1 or 2 good ones a year, which will keep the majority of the fan base content.

So what's missing? Try this at home. Someone told me to do this, and when I did this it completely changed my mind about him. Watch one of the recent raising canes and hear the current players talk. Now, play a youtube video of the players of the JJ and Butch eras. Hear the difference? The answer is CULTURE. Penn State culture is NOT Miami culture. golden is a stubborn, tie-wearing Penn Stater who basically muffles his players so they can adapt to his system. You can't put this on a stat, you just have to feel it. Again, he'll win a few good ones, but dynasty at Miami.. it doesn't fit! Don't you find it odd that the games we do win they let the players loose, only to go back to a muffled, bend not break scheme the next game? That's their natural state. That's how Golden rolls.

Let's face it. Miami is the U because of the local talent. And, these kids thrive with someone with a Southern, Smashmouth philosophy that runs wild and gets sheet done, like they had in highschool (but better of course). Just listen to all our winning coaches we've had. That's the Southern spice that says to apponents "show us an opening and we own you"..Goldent's culture today says "we are here to play fair and if you hit us in the mouth we will respect you and try again"

try that test and hopefully you'll change your mind about Golden just like I did. And if you don't, that's ok too. I just hope whoever takes over for Shalala does. Go Canes.

Last edited:
Butch Davis was a Superbowl Champion winning defensive coordinator. Comparing Al as a tactician is laughable. The guy's resume is paper thin compared to Butch's, and he's not putting kids in the league the way Butch did after a few seasons at UNC. Terrible talent development.

Well the last time Butch was coaching in the same crappy ACC coastal division he never had a winning record in the ACC in 4 years. Oh yeah with all that NFL talent that his staff cheated to recruit the best they could do was 8-5 even in his 4th year. He ended his 4 year stay with a stellar record of 28-23 and left the team under investigation for academic fraud. I love Butch for helping rebuild the U 15 years ago but lets all move on with our lives and try not to relive the 90s.

In his fourth year the NCAA suspended half his starting lineup for stuff that happens at every SEC school in the country times 10.

Secondly, it's not black an white: winning championships as an assistant or player doesn't guarantee anything. Neither does not winning. But when you are expecting Al Golden to just turn into Butch, it might make sense to compare how vastly different their resumes were when they got hired at UM.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Butch was one **** of a coach, but anytime you hire a young HC with no prior HC experience you are always taking a chance, regardless of who they coached under or played for. We took a chance on Butch and it paid off, not so much with Coker and Shannon. At least Golden had some HC experience before getting this job. He had a reputation for building a program from the bottom and that was why we hired him, to turn the program around.

He has his share of coaching flaws and I'm not expecting him to turn into Butch but he has also done a lot of good for this program since he got here. There have been a lot of let downs in his tenure mainly because he has brought a lot of hope which was desperately needed during the dark period after Shannon left and the NCAA investigation. People are tired of hoping only to be let down and I get that, I'm one of them. But to hate people for trying to be positive about any aspect of the team while ****ing about anything that the coach or media "sources" say is getting a little ridiculous. Fly all the banners you want and complain all you want but stop bashing other fans just because they either are not as negative about the team as you or choose not to bash coaches and players who are more a part of the U family than most of us posting on the board will ever be.

The dark period started when golden got here. He did a nice job getting some players at temple but he didn't do anything with them....he actually underachieved after amassing the most talented team in the league. He never won a championship, he'll he never beat a team in the Mac with a winning record his last 2 years. Mentioning davis and golden in the same sentence makes you look stupid.

The depth is bad cause golden is an overrated recruiter. People give him a pass for his first year....I dont. Other coaches have come in at the same time or later than golden did and still got good players. If they can do it..he should be able to especially at a place like miami. I'm tired of the sissy *** excuses this is big boy ball not little league bs where every kid gets a got dam ribbon even if they suck.

Advertisement
2014: (4-3)
Recruiting:
This class of 26 signees is as solid as they come. 20 of them have already played in games this season, with 8 of them either starting games or fighting for starting positions (Kaya, Berrios, Linder, Jenkins, Heurtelou, Darling, Wyche, Owens).

Season:
Losing 17 players with starting experience at Miami was a challenge that this 2014 team had to face. Projected starting QB Ryan Williams was injured during the spring forcing Brad Kaya to start as a true freshman. This team is 6-3 so far losing 3 tough games on the road. The offense is finally clicking and the defense looks improved from 2013. I’m looking forward to seeing how this team continues to grow and finish the season.

Recruiting:
Currently ranking #14 in the nation according to Rivals and #16 according to scout with 19 oral commitments.

Outlook:
The 2014 graduating class has only 21 seniors on the entire roster. 8 of the 21 are walk-ons, 1 might be back with a medical redshirt (Scott), and 2 (Williams, Heaps) are back-up QBs. The remaining 10 are all starters, 4 (Dorsett, Walford, Feliciano, McDermont ) on offense and 6 on Defense (Chickillo, Perryman, Gunter, Armbrister, Pierre, Fentress). Although 4 year starters like Perryman, Chickillo, Feliciano, and McDermont are hard to replace, there is enough depth and talent behind them to win. With the depth finally building up at most positions and talent level rising, this team is definitely headed in the right direction.

Updated.

2014: (6-4)
Recruiting:
This class of 26 signees is as solid as they come. 20 of them have already played in games this season, with 8 of them either starting games or fighting for starting positions (Kaya, Berrios, Linder, Darling, Jenkins, Heurtelou, Wyche, Owens).

Season:
Losing 17 players with starting experience at Miami was a challenge that this 2014 team had to face. Projected starting QB Ryan Williams was injured during the spring forcing Brad Kaya to start as a true freshman. This team is 6-4 so far losing 3 tough games on the road and 1 to defending champs FSU. The offense is finally clicking and the defense looks much improved from 2013. I’m looking forward to seeing how this team continues to grow and finish the season.

Updated

#BeatVirginia

Advertisement

do you think Golden is a good/ great recruiter?

I know people don’t see this team as young and it’s Golden’s 4th year at Miami but when lack of depth is mentioned, this is what they mean.

Although there are 21 seniors on the roster, 8 of the 21 are walk-ons, 1 will be back with a medical redshirt (Scott), and 2 (Williams, Heaps) are transfer back-up QBs. The remaining 10 are all starters, 4 (Dorsett, Walford, Feliciano, McDermontt) on offense and 6 on Defense (Chickillo, Perryman, Gunter, Armbrister, Pierre, Fentress).

The problem with this graduating class is not a lack of talent as evidenced by the 10 starters out of the 12 graduating seniors but lack of depth. There are only 2 scholarship backups and they are both backup transfer QBs who saw no significant action this year.

Lack of 5th year seniors: (5)
Only 3 (Walford, McDermontt, Feliciano) of the 31 players from the class of 2010 are here as 5th years seniors. Williams and Heaps are the other 5th year seniors who transferred here.

2011 class was a quick fix: (10)
Golden’s first class in 2011 was a little smaller at 21, 2 were JC transfers (Botts, Plug) and graduated, 3 did not qualify (Gadbios, Kinard, Grooms), that left our class with only 16 players to develop. 6 of the 16 were kicked off (Paul, Finnie, Johnson) or transferred (Grimble, Williams, Alexis). Of the 10 that are on the roster this year, only 5 got the chance to be redshirted (Crawford, Scott, Goudis, Wells, King) and will return next year. Golden also added 3 JC transfers who will be 5th year seniors next year (Kamalu, Wyche, Heurtlou). So we should have more experienced depth on the team next year.

2012 class (9)
This was a large class with 33 signees and only 1 did not qualify (Jean-Louis). We lost 3 to injury (Witt, Thompson, Dewey), 7 Transfers (Davis, Briscoe, Lockhart, Dillard, Hope, Dortch, Hoilett), 4 kicked off (Terry, Ivery, Carter, Blue). That left us with only 18 players on the current roster. 9 of those guys were able to redshirt and will have at least 2 more years of eligibility (Crow, O’Donnell, Jones, Hamilton, Moore, Gadbois, Jenkins, Lewis, Isadora). They are actually considered underclassmen on this year's roster. Although this is not a large number, it will be nice to have starters like Gadbois, Jenkins, and Isadora back for another 2 years. Also guys like Moore, Hamilton, Lewis should provide depth as they had 3 years to develop or recover from injuries.

These 3 recruiting classes make up our current upperclassmen and as you can see there is really not that much depth.

Last edited:
SO yeah. Al has failed at recruiting almost as much as he has failed to keep the guys he does sign on the roster and even that is light years ahead of his failures at actually teaching the kids how to play FOOTBALL!

Final grade: F-

Advertisement
Back