Tremendous year over year improvement

Advertisement
Hire competent guys and let them run their offense / defense. Not adding to their running games things you and your Ol coach like. Let them have control over that and you do what you do well. Over see the program , create the culture and recruit like a dog. Being a control freak doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good coach. Hire smarter guys than yourself and let them coach.
Agreed this is the only way but is there any chance this even happens. This year following last years abortion doesn’t give much hope that Mario can keep himself out of the offense. And after the past two years what are the odds MC can get anyone good to work with him?

Or Is there any hope Zo or someone else higher up has a talk with MC to tell him what everyone else sees and he needs to change or he will 100% fail here?

Advertisement
Wow.

What’s her @?
sophie mudd

98264141_717415779011568_2395004028093089198_n-3413546838.jpg

I am posting in this thread because it's one of the only ones that looks at our improvements since last year as well as looks to the future. And I believe the vector is still in the right direction. There is reason to be optimistic, and all the doom and gloom posts need context.

1. This team doesn't give up.
2. New staff > old staff. Yes, jury is still out on a couple of coaches, especially Dawson. But Guidry, Nicholson, JT are great upgrades.
3. Team depth is dramatically improved. People forget how many holes we had going into January. Our two deep was the worst it had been since Howard took over. Not having Taylor and Porter was a major reason we lost to UL. So depth is still not there. But it's no longer swiss cheese.
4. The younger players are better than the older players, Kam and Francisco excepted. The OL has some dogs, too, but the pups behind them look to be ready to step in.
5. Mario recruits his **** off, and this class should be the third Top 20 class in a row. Jimbo and a few exceptions aside, coaches who recruit well and develop well (see bullet #2) typically win a lot of games.

IMHO, it all comes down to Bro Ball. If Mario can somehow accept he needs to step back from micromanaging the offensive scheme and play-calling (I'm looking at you, Rad), and if he can find a QB and a backup QB that are reliable, this team will see another major leap next season. I personally think that happens, and am looking forward to closing out the season 8-5 then getting to double digit wins next year.

I am posting in this thread because it's one of the only ones that looks at our improvements since last year as well as looks to the future. And I believe the vector is still in the right direction. There is reason to be optimistic, and all the doom and gloom posts need context.

1. This team doesn't give up.
2. New staff > old staff. Yes, jury is still out on a couple of coaches, especially Dawson. But Guidry, Nicholson, JT are great upgrades.
3. Team depth is dramatically improved. People forget how many holes we had going into January. Our two deep was the worst it had been since Howard took over. Not having Taylor and Porter was a major reason we lost to UL. So depth is still not there. But it's no longer swiss cheese.
4. The younger players are better than the older players, Kam and Francisco excepted. The OL has some dogs, too, but the pups behind them look to be ready to step in.
5. Mario recruits his **** off, and this class should be the third Top 20 class in a row. Jimbo and a few exceptions aside, coaches who recruit well and develop well (see bullet #2) typically win a lot of games.

IMHO, it all comes down to Bro Ball. If Mario can somehow accept he needs to step back from micromanaging the offensive scheme and play-calling (I'm looking at you, Rad), and if he can find a QB and a backup QB that are reliable, this team will see another major leap next season. I personally think that happens, and am looking forward to closing out the season 8-5 then getting to double digit wins next year.
Dead at writing “recruits his **** off” and “top 20 recruiting class” in the same sentence.

Advertisement
My original post was about the dramatic year over year improvement. If you don’t agree with it that’s fine. But the team has basically been competitive in every game, they’ve fought hard and the talent level has improved dramatically. People forget the complete lack of talent we’ve had- less draft picks than Syracuse and Wake Forrest the past few years. Fortunately that looks likely to change.

In many ways this looks somewhat similar to what Georgia and FSU recently went through. Georgias situation was a lot better because Kirby inherited a team that was coming off back to back 10 win teams and had Nick Chubb, Rouquan Smith, Isaiah Wynn, Lorenzo Carter and Sony Michel among others but he had a rough first year 7-5 regular season but by and large they were in most games with only a few blowouts. Year 2 his system and recruiting kicked in and they started winning the close games.

We all saw Norvells first few years 3-6 and 5-7. Year 3 they won a lot of close games.

I’m expecting with our young talent getting a year older, the tremendous influx of skill talent we’re bringing in- Jojo, Carr, Riley and Lofton, plus some key portal additions at QB and DT that we start winning the close games.

Also I’d like a little help spacing the schedule out better and not having 8 straight conference games.
We're also losing Leonard Taylor, two starting safeties, and three nfl-level OLs (Lee, Rivers, Cohen).

Other than WR ( probably LB, wildcard RB), which position group is clearly better in '24?

Hire competent guys and let them run their offense / defense. Not adding to their running games things you and your Ol coach like. Let them have control over that and you do what you do well. Over see the program , create the culture and recruit like a dog. Being a control freak doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good coach. Hire smarter guys than yourself and let them coach.

$8mm per year yet we have to hire coordinators and tell him to butt out. And we have to hire someone to help him gane manage.

Advertisement
We're also losing Leonard Taylor, two starting safeties, and three nfl-level OLs (Lee, Rivers, Cohen).

Other than WR ( probably LB, wildcard RB), which position group is clearly better in '24?
Let's see who leaves but you could see significant improvement across the board with the exception of safety. There's a lot to work with there with Francis, Cooper, Kinsler, and Samson at oline. The dline should also be improved with Bain, Wayne, Kelly getting older. Bain has definitely hit the freshman wall. Plus I'd expect some serious transfer talent. WR, RB and TE you're adding some serious talent.

Quarterback is the big wild card. Unless we get a good portal QB we're going to in a world of hurt with what we currently have.

Advertisement
When is the last time we've had 3 Top 20 recruiting classes in a row? I'll wait.
Irrelevant. "Top 20" isn’t enough. Mario can’t coach, recruiting is his only skill. He MUST be better than "top 20” or we are a 7-5 team. Anything outside the top 5 is a setback when this portion of the coaching budget is consumed by a recruiting coordinator

While the record leaves a lot to be desired this is easily a team that could be anywhere from 9-2, 10-1 to 4-7. The only game where we really didn’t have a shot was NC State and possibly Carolina. Otherwise we have been in every game and a few plays either way would have changed the outcome for better or worse.

That’s a dramatic improvement from a year ago when we weren’t even competitive. We’ve dramatically in a number of areas most noticeably along the lines. The good thing is we’re loaded along the oline and have some difference makers on the dline. With the playmakers we have coming in and a transfer quarterback we can be dangerous next year.

I look at this compared to Marios Oregon teams and we obviously don’t have a Herbert but it won’t be that hard to find an Anthony Brown. The main difference is we don’t have a Joe Moorhead and are a little less developed at a few spots.

One of my main gripes though is the schedule. I don’t know how it gets made- if it’s us or the con but it’s ridiculous to play 8 straight conference games with the bye before it. You need a break in conference play. Bama and LSU always have a bye before their game which is usually after game 5 of conference play, then they play a cream puff the 2nd to last week. Our schedule is nuts.
We could of easily lost 2 games we won (Clemson, Virgina) so was there improvment, based on win lost record I say no

Advertisement
Back