Travis Williams Officially Gone!

Advertisement
If it happens, it happens. Cant be mad. ****, our head coach did the same to Temple. Money & prestige talks. Just as long as a contingency plan is in place, jic. That’s all that matters. I like that Manny thought outside of the box & went away from a comfort zone. Hope this doesn’t snake bite him & he’s willing to go outside that box again.

More importantly, I hope it doesn’t happen b/c I like T-Will & he should help our core & replenish our LBs via recruiting. But from a business standpoint, not mad at the guy.

Manny should know enough to ask for a first year commitment from someone before he hires them. At least a look me in the eye moral commitment. If they won't give you that, you should know this ain't where they want to be. The coaching profession is a network business so people wouldn't take that sort of commitment lightly.

The quit before you start thing is a real detriment to our continuity in recruiting and planning. I don't fault T Will for doing what's in his interest. I do wonder whether we were clear enough about what he wants to do.
When the man accepts the job it’s at least a one year commitment.

Advertisement
Would have been nice for us to get even one season out of TWill. And not just for the recruiting and potential player development.
If TWill leaves for a DC position after a complete season, at least Manny can try to use TWill's promotion to sell the job to the next guy.

Manny should know enough to ask for a first year commitment from someone before he hires them. At least a look me in the eye moral commitment. If they won't give you that, you should know this ain't where they want to be. The coaching profession is a network business so people wouldn't take that sort of commitment lightly.

The quit before you start thing is a real detriment to our continuity in recruiting and planning. I don't fault T Will for doing what's in his interest. I do wonder whether we were clear enough about what he wants to do.
I am 1000% confident that Manny asked for at least a 1 year commitment-as does every head coach. Just like Temple asked for a commitment from Manny. This is just the nature of business and it happens at Google and Tesla and Amazon. Even with a contract it is almost impossible to stop someone from leaving job A for job B. The only exception is a Non-compete clause, but even a Non-compete has to be limited in duration and scope; meaning it can't be forever and it can't be everywhere for any period of time. We are a country that believes in an individual's right to work and our courts enforce that.
All that to say there is no commitment that will stop someone from leaving for a "better" job as that person defines "better". And in sports, no school or program or team will ever try to stop a coach from moving because these coaches all hire each other.
5 years from now Manny may be fired and want a job s a DC and Williams may be a head coach looking for a DC.

Advertisement
I am 1000% confident that Manny asked for at least a 1 year commitment-as does every head coach. Just like Temple asked for a commitment from Manny. This is just the nature of business and it happens at Google and Tesla and Amazon. Even with a contract it is almost impossible to stop someone from leaving job A for job B. The only exception is a Non-compete clause, but even a Non-compete has to be limited in duration and scope; meaning it can't be forever and it can't be everywhere for any period of time. We are a country that believes in an individual's right to work and our courts enforce that.
All that to say there is no commitment that will stop someone from leaving for a "better" job as that person defines "better". And in sports, no school or program or team will ever try to stop a coach from moving because these coaches all hire each other.
5 years from now Manny may be fired and want a job s a DC and Williams may be a head coach looking for a DC.
You sound like a lawyer, not a business person.

I am 1000% sure that not every manager making a hiring decision (or company involved in them) ask for a 1 year commitment, despite your being convinced to the contrary.

So, we're at an impasse. You think every head coach and hirer asks for this. I say 'not true.'

Taking about remedies is irrelevant because no one suggested there was a contractual remedy to debate here. There are ways to handle that, but that's not what is at issue here.

Here’s a good test to see how much Miami really wants to compete in football. Will they come up with the money, and possibly job title, to keep someone like T-will? Or will they let him walk to a lower tier school?

Advertisement
Advertisement
You sound like a lawyer, not a business person.

I am 1000% sure that not every manager making a hiring decision (or company involved in them) ask for a 1 year commitment, despite your being convinced to the contrary.

So, we're at an impasse. You think every head coach and hirer asks for this. I say 'not true.'

Taking about remedies is irrelevant because no one suggested there was a contractual remedy to debate here. There are ways to handle that, but that's not what is at issue here.
It’s called a buyout and they all have em. I think? No? I really don’t know... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
Back