Transfer rules?

Miamistan96

Recruit
What exactly is the purpose of making student athletes sit out a year for deciding to transfer? Who does it harm to let athletes play right away?

Advertisement
If your coach leaves or fired you should be eligible immediately if you leave. Also same with bowl bans / probation. Instant eligibility.

Advertisement
If your coach leaves or fired you should be eligible immediately if you leave. Also same with bowl bans / probation. Instant eligibility.
Agreed but if those things don't happen ,kids just transferring with no consequence every time they get screamed at in practice or don't like their spot on the depth chart would end up costing coaches not just their jobs (in some cases) but their ability to coach freely i.e. lose motivation tools. For all intents and purposes the inmates would run the asylum.

Picture it this way: Miami spends all offseason training, teaching, housing, and feeding Derrick Smith. Then he’s allowed to transfer, immediately play against us in game 1, and give them intel on our meetings.

Now picture that with bigger stars because the NCAA would have no way to block tampering/bag drops for big players. Right now most prospect don’t want to lose a year so it discourages that

Agreed but if those things don't happen ,kids just transferring with no consequence every time they get screamed at in practice or don't like their spot on the depth chart would end up costing coaches not just their jobs (in some cases) but their ability to coach freely i.e. lose motivation tools. For all intents and purposes the inmates would run the asylum.

Agree.

Picture it this way: Miami spends all offseason training, teaching, housing, and feeding Derrick Smith. Then he’s allowed to transfer, immediately play against us in game 1, and give them intel on our meetings.

Now picture that with bigger stars because the NCAA would have no way to block tampering/bag drops for big players. Right now most prospect don’t want to lose a year so it discourages that
My opinion if I was the person who would be in charge of eligibility would be you are eligible to play unless you transfer 3 months prior to the season starts and you can't transfer and play for the new school in the middle of the season

Advertisement
What exactly is the purpose of making student athletes sit out a year for deciding to transfer? Who does it harm to let athletes play right away?
It rewards those that are graduates transfers. But underclassmen should sit out a year & I'm not for them losing a whole year of eligibility though.

My opinion if I was the person who would be in charge of eligibility would be you are eligible to play unless you transfer 3 months prior to the season starts and you can't transfer and play for the new school in the middle of the season

Even with that signing day is in february. So players that leave after that leave the team at a disadvantage. I know it’s popular to say the team makes money and the athletes don’t but that team is investing millions of dollars worth of coaches, housing, school, teaching, practice, liability, food, and apparel so it’s not fair to leave the team that invested in you at a disadvantage either.

Advertisement
It rewards those that are graduates transfers. But underclassmen should sit out a year & I'm not for them losing a whole year of eligibility though.

If you want to call it "rewards" grad transfers, then why not? They did what they were supposed to do, earned an undergraduate degree.

Can you imagine the "roster" Bama, UGA & Cemson would put together if players were allowed to transfer w/o sitting out. The recruiting of players would be unimaginable. If you have/had rumors of six figures flying around for unproven high-school guys what would a player like Trevor Lawrence fetch?
On second though maybe it would be a good thing because they'd eventually run out of money.

I think if both schools agree to it then why not?
I would put restrictions like it has to be to a team out of conference and/or not on the schedule during the duration of the student attendance.

I also would put a game restriction similar to the redshirt rule. Also a mandatory year rule.
Something like if in two years you have played in 8 or less games you can transfer and play immediately.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back