Transfer prospect Rhett interview

Advertisement
Also, Rhett committed to Ole Miss before visiting us OR UConn. Think everyone is stunned about that.

Ole Miss signs number 1 recruiting class in football, now lands coveted basketball prospect...seems legit. And to think I was pulling for them in the Blindside movie. SMH.

Dammit....we really need another big man. Next year we can be really, really good, but we're going to be really, really deficient on the boards and in the frontcourt if we go into the season as it stands (unless Tonye makes a leap and unless Uceda is the real deal).

Here are some names, I have no idea if we are after them. I like the first kid.

Justin Martin Rd-Jr from Xavier Forward (12 PPG and 5 RPG)

Desmond Simmons Rd-Jr from Washington Forward (5 PPG and 5 RPG)

Malik Thomas Jr (Graduating Early) from BU Forward (6 PPG and 4 RPG)

Jeylani Dublin Jr (Graduating Early) from Longwood Forward (10 PPG and 4 RPG)

Here are some names, I have no idea if we are after them. I like the first kid.

Justin Martin Rd-Jr from Xavier Forward (12 PPG and 5 RPG)

Desmond Simmons Rd-Jr from Washington Forward (5 PPG and 5 RPG)

Malik Thomas Jr (Graduating Early) from BU Forward (6 PPG and 4 RPG)

Jeylani Dublin Jr (Graduating Early) from Longwood Forward (10 PPG and 4 RPG)

Everyone on that list is a swingman with the exception of Simmons - Thomas is 6'6" 205, Thomas is 6'7" 190 and Dublin is 6'6" 225. Simmons is 6'7" 225 but from California. None are likely.

Advertisement
Also, Rhett committed to Ole Miss before visiting us OR UConn. Think everyone is stunned about that.

Ole Miss signs number 1 recruiting class in football, now lands coveted basketball prospect...seems legit. And to think I was pulling for them in the Blindside movie. SMH.

If he was at Middle Tennessee State, he probably just feels most comfortable in that region.

Everyone on that list is a swingman with the exception of Simmons - Thomas is 6'6" 205, Thomas is 6'7" 190 and Dublin is 6'6" 225. Simmons is 6'7" 225 but from California. None are likely.

I understand but just hear me out.

It's just that we have no one PROVEN at power forward and are in desperate need for production at the position. If we can't get a legit PF, than I would go Martin over some crap transfer.

While Martin is 6'6 and not a PF, I would gladly take him at this point and run

PG: Angel
SG: Sheldon/Burnett
F: Reed
F: Martin
C: Jekri

I would rather play Martin at PF and give up some size than play some crap transfer. Let's not forget that we had Swoope playing PF for us and he was 6'5 (I know he had more athleticism but....this kid Martin can play).

We need some quality players to come in. This is a very good player who can play some forward for us. He is a starter at Xavier, he rebounds pretty well (look at that Creighton game) too. We need 40 minutes at PF, 20 minutes at Small Forward (unless Reed can play more) and 10-15 minutes at Center (Jekri averages 21) next season.

We need someone in there and we have NO ONE PROVEN. Omar Sherman or Ivan Cruz Uceda could be ready to go, but there are no guarantees. If Omar, Ivan and Jekiri can handle 40 minutes of PF and/or 40 minutes of Center, than we can keep Martin at Small Forward.

So in summation, I would try to bring in Martin and some other big man. If Omar, Ivan, Tonye and ________ (other transfer/JUCO/2014 Kid) can handle PF and C, than rotate Martin and Reed at Small Forward.

If Omar, Ivan and ________ (other transfer/JUCO/2014 Kid) are unready for serious burn, leave Martin at PF. At least you will have a better player giving up some size than a scrub.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Omar, Ivan and ________ (other transfer/JUCO/2014 Kid) are unready for serious burn, leave Martin at PF. At least you will have a better player giving up some size than a scrub.

I don't entirely disagree (and I know you do your research). I just wanted to point it out for folks who think there is a plethora of big men - there aren't. A name you might have missed (unless he committed elsewhere, in which case, I missed) is Campbell's Darius Leonard, who started at Kent State, and averaged 10.2 PPG and 4.9 RPG at 6'9".

I don't doubt we will bring in someone at 6'8" or taller, and that they won't necessarily be a scrub. What I'm curious about is the scholarship balance - anyone we get who is NOT a 5th year transfer takes away from our 2015 class, which already only has two scholarships. So Keith Thomas (JUCO) or any of the high schoolers kicking around means we only have the one ship, which is already spoken for (Anthony Lawrence). I'd be curious to see what happens there.

I don't entirely disagree (and I know you do your research). I just wanted to point it out for folks who think there is a plethora of big men - there aren't. A name you might have missed (unless he committed elsewhere, in which case, I missed) is Campbell's Darius Leonard, who started at Kent State, and averaged 10.2 PPG and 4.9 RPG at 6'9".

I don't doubt we will bring in someone at 6'8" or taller, and that they won't necessarily be a scrub. What I'm curious about is the scholarship balance - anyone we get who is NOT a 5th year transfer takes away from our 2015 class, which already only has two scholarships. So Keith Thomas (JUCO) or any of the high schoolers kicking around means we only have the one ship, which is already spoken for (Anthony Lawrence). I'd be curious to see what happens there.

I would take Darius Leonard, I had to google him and Soup U.

Do you know if TaShawn Thomas has to sit out a year? I believe he is just a junior (so he does). He is a PF from Houston who is transferring.

I would prefer to bring in, at this point, Leonard and Martin. Than at least you have some decent elder statesmen and you keep the scholarships available for 2015 (one can be for Lawrence and the other ________ ).

I would prefer to bring in, at this point, Leonard and Martin. Than at least you have some decent elder statesmen and you keep the scholarships available for 2015 (one can be for Lawrence and the other ________ ).

Don't disagree - two 5th year guys would be ideal, they're just so heavily in demand it seems like a bit of a pipe dream. I'd take one and an appropriate freshman or JUCO, if those exist too - not that I want to "punt" the 2015 class, but we have so much potential the next two years that I'm willing to let it go complete to give us the chance to win, and to put us in position to do well with the 2016 class and beyond.

Don't disagree - two 5th year guys would be ideal, they're just so heavily in demand it seems like a bit of a pipe dream. I'd take one and an appropriate freshman or JUCO, if those exist too - not that I want to "punt" the 2015 class, but we have so much potential the next two years that I'm willing to let it go complete to give us the chance to win, and to put us in position to do well with the 2016 class and beyond.

Agreed.

All our CURRENT talent is sticking around next season (2015-16) and by 2016-17, we could develop the 2014/15 kids.

We're built for the next 2 years, we just need some help to make us special.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back