Transfer prospect Rhett interview

Advertisement
Advertisement
We need this kid

I would love this kid here but it seems like there are/will be many talented 5th year guys up for grabs. Last year we missed out on Tyrik Black to Memphis and a couple other kids but we still got Kirk which helped us a lot.

Advertisement
We need this kid

I would love this kid here but it seems like there are/will be many talented 5th year guys up for grabs. Last year we missed out on Tyrik Black to Memphis and a couple other kids but we still got Kirk which helped us a lot.

I would take Kirk again.

I think the issue is that many of them aren't bigs - I think Lee and Rhett may have been the only ones to average double-digit scoring, that I've seen. A kid who averaged 2 points at Cal State Fullerton likely won't be able to contribute at this level. If Rhett doesn't pan out, the obvious other name to watch out for is Jon Horford, Tito's son, who is graduating from Michigan. Though he has never played big minutes, he has been efficient - averaging 3.8 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in just under 14 minutes last year - and obviously has experience in a major program and going deep into the NCAA tournament. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he's a difference maker, but he would be a definite contributor in the rotation and has the leadership experience (was a captain this year) that would hopefully help the team gel in the short term.

I think the issue is that many of them aren't bigs - I think Lee and Rhett may have been the only ones to average double-digit scoring, that I've seen. A kid who averaged 2 points at Cal State Fullerton likely won't be able to contribute at this level. If Rhett doesn't pan out, the obvious other name to watch out for is Jon Horford, Tito's son, who is graduating from Michigan. Though he has never played big minutes, he has been efficient - averaging 3.8 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in just under 14 minutes last year - and obviously has experience in a major program and going deep into the NCAA tournament. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he's a difference maker, but he would be a definite contributor in the rotation and has the leadership experience (was a captain this year) that would hopefully help the team gel in the short term.

Honestly, what is the deal with Kelly? Is he going to be apart of this team or not?

As for the transfer, we need production. I don't care about his consanguinity as long as he can produce for 20MPG.

Honestly, what is the deal with Kelly? Is he going to be apart of this team or not?

As for the transfer, we need production. I don't care about his consanguinity as long as he can produce for 20MPG.

I'm not sure why you think he isn't going to be a part of this team. He was suspended for an "undisclosed violation" (my guess is something academic, but it could have been other rules issues) and then didn't play much because we had a relatively productive rotation without him. Even with his shooting ability, I believe the coaches decided he was a bit of a liability defensively and with rebounding, and elected to play Swoope over him as he was the better fit with what we were doing at that point in the year. I have absolutely no reason to believe that Kelly won't be welcomed back with open arms, and if he shows the proper dedication to his entire floor game, he will get significant minutes and potentially even start.

And I agree that I don't favor a kid based on blood lines (great SAT word you used there, by the way), but I brought him up for two reasons - one, he makes sense due to his relatively efficient production and experience at the highest of levels (he may honestly be the most productive fifth year transfer big out there besides Rhett) and two, his "consanguinity" might help us land him because we have a direct line to his father and I've heard rumors that his father would like him to go here.

I'm not sure why you think he isn't going to be a part of this team. He was suspended for an "undisclosed violation" (my guess is something academic, but it could have been other rules issues) and then didn't play much because we had a relatively productive rotation without him. Even with his shooting ability, I believe the coaches decided he was a bit of a liability defensively and with rebounding, and elected to play Swoope over him as he was the better fit with what we were doing at that point in the year. I have absolutely no reason to believe that Kelly won't be welcomed back with open arms, and if he shows the proper dedication to his entire floor game, he will get significant minutes and potentially even start.

And I agree that I don't favor a kid based on blood lines (great SAT word you used there, by the way), but I brought him up for two reasons - one, he makes sense due to his relatively efficient production and experience at the highest of levels (he may honestly be the most productive fifth year transfer big out there besides Rhett) and two, his "consanguinity" might help us land him because we have a direct line to his father and I've heard rumors that his father would like him to go here.

Kelly, seemed liked a liability behavior wise. Anytime someone has this taint, I consider them a "risk" and one that should not be relied upon until proven otherwise. That is all. I have no information, he just seems risky too me.

Advertisement
Kelly, seemed liked a liability behavior wise. Anytime someone has this taint, I consider them a "risk" and one that should not be relied upon until proven otherwise. That is all. I have no information, he just seems risky too me.

Without knowing what he was suspended for, I won't write him off - but I agree that he (obviously) has not been a perfect citizen, and hopefully he has learned from whatever mistake he made.

consanguinity??? Well played there AK. Tito would be thrilled to have Jon back in Miami, he's told a friend he misses it and regrets ever leaving.
That said i want Rhett

Advertisement
Well that's not good. We're kind of in a bad place in the frontcourt next year as of now.

From the Herald:

### James Kelly's announcement that he's transferring is no big loss for the UM basketball program. Kelly was immature and not necessarily an ACC rotation player, according to one UM source.... UM hoped to lure Tennessee State fifth-year senior power forward MJ Rhett, but he told ESPN he will sign with Mississippi. Rhett had planned to visit UM on Monday.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2014/04/other-players-see-opportunity-against-heat-dolphins-draft-marlins-canes-buzz.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back