Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Getting a WR is not critical, getting rid of Gattis is. I feel a competent OC can be successful with who we have already if the OL makes the improvements i think are likely. I dont see the point in just getting a body.
At this point we have to assume Mario is keeping him. Idk how we can think he’s going anywhere been too long and good OCs are starting to get hired around CFB

Advertisement
I'm really asking. What is the plus side of keeping him on staff for so long if he's not keeping him? I trying to see the strategy behind it.
All that seems clear is he’s doing what a mentor Saban does and preferring to facilitate staff changes encouraging they look elsewhere vs outright firing them. I imagine optics of quickly firing a lot of guys is in MC’s eyes an admission of failure and he prefers to avoid it. Gattis obviously hurts the WR recruiting but even if he was already fired I doubt it would be dramatically different considering we haven’t gotten a WR drafted highly into the league since Dre & Santana. Other programs with a vacant OC spot right now are still grabbing portal guys I believe based on recent track record at the position while we have practically nothing to compare.

Advertisement
Nobody said he’s an offensive genus. Go reread the post. He’s a former OC and wr coach . A well respected one.

I read the post - and not taking a shot at you. Simply saying that while he was an offensive coach, i don’t feel he’s held in high regard for offense from a fan/recruit standpoint the way Riley, Day, Urban and others have been, or the way Saban and Smart are on D. At Penn State, he’s been more high level recruiter than high level scheme or game day coach. His offenses have been a mess at times and he's bounced through various types of systems and OCs (Donovan, Moorhead, Rahne, and Ciarrocca before they settled on Yurcich. And honestly, many fans were ready to run Yurcich out of town after year 1. His development of QBs has been questioned as well. IMO, he is respected more as a head coach, program builder and recruiter than he is offensive mind and/or gameday coach, at least within his own fanbase. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach. He’s not….and at times I do think fans up there are still living in the past. I’m just saying I don’t see WRs flocking to penn state over Miami bc of their elite passing game. They’ve only had a 1,000 WR once since 2016 and their leading WR this year had 600 yards.

Advertisement
I asked in the other thread but didnt see any responses. Where is Singletary looking hardest? UF...wasnt he thinking there last year to be closer to home.

I think if he was living up to his 5 star label UGA would find a way to keep him.

Advertisement
  • Harrell = Not likely, likely A&M.
  • Singletary = Not likely
  • Johnson + Igbinosum (Ole Miss) = Interested
  • UM wants another DT
got to go poop GIF by VALERIS

Advertisement
Back