Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Is it just me, or is safety depth the most glaring issue on this team? We have Kamren Kinchens and James Williams starting, and then it's a huge dropoff imo at least when it comes to experience on the field. Markeith Williams, Brian Balom (Withdrew from portal, but might still be leaving), Kaleb Spencer, and maybe Damari Brown or Antione Jackson (listed as a S, but expected to be a CB in college I've heard) are the guys we have behind them. This is a HUGE potential issue in my eyes, and even if they do something similar to what they did with Al Blades last year with someone like Jaden Harris, that CB will have no experience under their belt as a safety. We lost 5 safeties to the portal, and brought in 1 or 2 through recruiting although KS might be a LB when all is said and done, and DB/AJ are going to be playing CB if I'm not mistaken even though AJ was listed as a safety. So, I see it like this, we had 9 guys in the safety room last year, and this year we have 5 or 6 guys, and only our starters have any significant game experience. We really need a 3rd safety (preferably a SS to back up JW) who is battle tested so that we're not ****ed if we (knock on wood) lose our two starters. MW looks promising, but is he ready to start if (knock on wood) KK or JW goes out for the season? Is he ready to take on the 3rd safety spot as a true sophomore as well? He may well be, but that's something we'll find out this year.
Safety and DT is probably worse off than wr……yeah I said it. I’ve only heard one name at safety and he went elsewhere . I’m actually shocked we haven’t taken one minimum.

Another kid that Coach Cristobal was after at Oregon and he OV’d there. USC fans are upset to see him go but understand. Claimed he would be #4 WR next year at best and was different than all of their other WR’s being more physical and more of a possession guy who didn’t drop a single pass this year while the rest of the WR group struggled with drops all season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a call due to the familiarity with the kid.

USC's 247
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 5.12.16 PM.png

Is it just me, or is safety depth the most glaring issue on this team? We have Kamren Kinchens and James Williams starting, and then it's a huge dropoff imo at least when it comes to experience on the field. Markeith Williams, Brian Balom (Withdrew from portal, but might still be leaving), Kaleb Spencer, and maybe Damari Brown or Antione Jackson (listed as a S, but expected to be a CB in college I've heard) are the guys we have behind them. This is a HUGE potential issue in my eyes, and even if they do something similar to what they did with Al Blades last year with someone like Jaden Harris, that CB will have no experience under their belt as a safety. We lost 5 safeties to the portal, and brought in 1 or 2 through recruiting although KS might be a LB when all is said and done, and DB/AJ are going to be playing CB if I'm not mistaken even though AJ was listed as a safety. So, I see it like this, we had 9 guys in the safety room last year, and this year we have 5 or 6 guys, and only our starters have any significant game experience. We really need a 3rd safety (preferably a SS to back up JW) who is battle tested so that we're not ****ed if we (knock on wood) lose our two starters. MW looks promising, but is he ready to start if (knock on wood) KK or JW goes out for the season? Is he ready to take on the 3rd safety spot as a true sophomore as well? He may well be, but that's something we'll find out this year.
I REALLY like Antoine Jackson as as Safety.

Advertisement
Safety and DT is probably worse off than wr……yeah I said it. I’ve only heard one name at safety and he went elsewhere . I’m actually shocked we haven’t taken one minimum.
Me too. I thought Jalen Catalon would have been a good fit. Also, KK and JW could get drafted next year. There's a good chance that could be the case, and then we are really starting from square one at safety if we can't get someone from the portal to help ease that transition. What about Isaiah Johnson from Arizona State? I know there might be some concerns around him, but he's honestly the kind of safety they need right now. A FR or SO S that has been playing at a P5 school who still has room to grow.

So, we're a targeting call or two way from worst case scenario.

Advertisement
I REALLY like Antoine Jackson as as Safety.
Well, it's looking like he might be in the 2-deep at 17 years old, lol. He also reclassified from 2024, so if we're counting on him to just hit the ground running, I'd say that's a bold strategy. The coaches must have some plan because this is a big issue, and there's no doubt that other teams know how vulnerable the D will be if something were to happen to 24/0. Teams would be having a field day with us like MTSU did this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back