Transfer Portal watch

Amy Hoggart Idk GIF by truTV

person of interest stop GIF
Shocked Family Matters GIF

Advertisement
First, use paragraph breaks. They are lifesavers (and eye savers).

Second, I'm not putting up with this myth about 8 guys being "non-factors". Yes, two guys were injured and didn't play (the 2 OLs), and they should play this year. And two DLs didn't contribute much (Moultrie and Lichtenstein), while Porter (CB) started getting more playing time in the second half of the season.

The other six guys contributed quite a bit, and I'm not getting into a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" discussion when it comes to players who contribute a lot on a poor team. You want to say "three", I want to say "six", and I would simply ask you if THREE better Portal players would have transformed a Miami 5-7 team into a 9-3 team. If not, then let's move along.

The fact remains, the roster has been flipped. You seem to be fixated on approximately 3 Portal transfers from 2022. But, again, we will have 20 players MAX who were around when Mario was hired. Maybe we could have done better with the 2022 Portal class, and the 2023 Portal class is still in progress. But we have over 40 kids from HS/JuCo who will have joined the team over the past 18 months, which is nearly half the roster.

You can't take more Portal kids than the number of counters (85) that you have. I've already said, I would have loved to have taken 20 from the Portal last year (we couldn't). I would love to take 20 from the Portal this year (unlikely). You can ALWAYS strive to hit a home run on every at-bat, but that is also highly unlikely.

I would imagine that seeing what kind of production we get from the Portal in 2023 will be a pretty big indicator of what Alonzo can bring to the table (that he was unable to bring last year before he was hired).

So as for the 85, can't we over-sign as long as we're down to 85 by summer/fall? BJ's (Herald) writing that we're 3 under 85 and 'needing to create more space' for many holes on the roster. Assuming we can over-sign (for now), wouldn't it then be a matter of the coach's preference? I understand from the board for example that FSU stands currently at about 91. I've inquired previously regarding Mario's inclination to exceed the 85, without answer.
I've heard comments that "the numbers will work themselves out", but if restricted to 85, the numbers factor is in play right now. For example, sans departure(s), Cormani would take one of three open spots come February. Rumor is that the Iowa cb is in too. And you have to think the Kentucky DT has a spot if he wants in. However, there are many other options, viable ones to pursue if not restricted by numbers (by choice?). Of course, portalers in for spring practice would be ideal.

So as for the 85, can't we over-sign as long as we're down to 85 by summer/fall? BJ's (Herald) writing that we're 3 under 85 and 'needing to create more space' for many holes on the roster. Assuming we can over-sign (for now), wouldn't it then be a matter of the coach's preference? I understand from the board for example that FSU stands currently at about 91. I've inquired previously regarding Mario's inclination to exceed the 85, without answer.
I've heard comments that "the numbers will work themselves out", but if restricted to 85, the numbers factor is in play right now. For example, sans departure(s), Cormani would take one of three open spots come February. Rumor is that the Iowa cb is in too. And you have to think the Kentucky DT has a spot if he wants in. However, there are many other options, viable ones to pursue if not restricted by numbers (by choice?). Of course, portalers in for spring practice would be ideal.

Yes, this is true on oversigning. The factor that we don't know about is Mario's knowledge of who will be leaving "later" this year (which probably means we are letting some kids graduate first before hitting the Portal in May).

But as I've said, I've heard "39-40". Which means we have about 10 spots to go, regardless of what the "counters" number is now.

That's all. I'm not against "questions", I just have a problem when people are trying to judge things DEFINITIVELY at this early phase. I am not promising that everything will be perfect, but I believe we will award all 85 scholarships. The question of whether we COULD HAVE gotten a few better guys out of the Portal is really dependent upon how they end up playing. Don't forget, Colbie Young was one of our lowest rated recruits last year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
First, use paragraph breaks. They are lifesavers (and eye savers).

Second, I'm not putting up with this myth about 8 guys being "non-factors". Yes, two guys were injured and didn't play (the 2 OLs), and they should play this year. And two DLs didn't contribute much (Moultrie and Lichtenstein), while Porter (CB) started getting more playing time in the second half of the season.

The other six guys contributed quite a bit, and I'm not getting into a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" discussion when it comes to players who contribute a lot on a poor team. You want to say "three", I want to say "six", and I would simply ask you if THREE better Portal players would have transformed a Miami 5-7 team into a 9-3 team. If not, then let's move along.

The fact remains, the roster has been flipped. You seem to be fixated on approximately 3 Portal transfers from 2022. But, again, we will have 20 players MAX who were around when Mario was hired. Maybe we could have done better with the 2022 Portal class, and the 2023 Portal class is still in progress. But we have over 40 kids from HS/JuCo who will have joined the team over the past 18 months, which is nearly half the roster.

You can't take more Portal kids than the number of counters (85) that you have. I've already said, I would have loved to have taken 20 from the Portal last year (we couldn't). I would love to take 20 from the Portal this year (unlikely). You can ALWAYS strive to hit a home run on every at-bat, but that is also highly unlikely.

I would imagine that seeing what kind of production we get from the Portal in 2023 will be a pretty big indicator of what Alonzo can bring to the table (that he was unable to bring last year before he was hired).
I will take note of the paragraphs and try to use them more often, onto your second point, Im sorry you cant put up with reality. Lets take a step back to the summer of this year where Miami was expected to be a 8-9 win team with a ceiling of 10 and a floor of 7. We were supposed to compete for the Coastal but instead got blown out by Midd Tenn State.

Yes the 8 were non-factors. You touched upon the first 4 and Porter, but lets talk about Porter. Porter or whatever CB we were going to get in the portal was supposed to come in and take the spot opposite of Rique. Hard Stop, that was what he was brought in to do, he didn't do it, and ended up starting just one game. He absolutely was a non factor. You can scream from the mountains that he started getting more playing time in the second half but you are outright misrepresenting what he was being brought in to do.

This then brings us Caleb, like Porter he was brought in to walk in and take the starting job. Instead It was Flagg who started 9 games for us. Try as Flagg might and he is a good kid that can diagnose plays, he just isnt it athletically. Caleb not being able to supplant him made him a non factor.

Then there is Ladson. I strongly believe 27 catches for 298yds and 1YD in 12 games is being a non factor in a WR room that desperately needed help. You seem to think otherwise, okay...

The last guy is Agude, and out of all of them, if I was 10 drinks in and puddled out on acid, I might, just might see some reasoning to your argument but sober, he was meh at best.

Yes, if we add 3 difference makers to our defense, and a WR1 to our offense our team is drastically improved. Part of our problem on offense was our guys could not separate outside of X, you add an Addison or a difference maker, best believe the offense now looks way different.

Now lastly, since we are still on the flipping the roster. It is not a FACT that the roster has been flipped. The roster will not be flipped at earliest summer of this year but most likely when we enter the 2024 season. So far we have flipped about 50% of the roster give or take arguing over some spots.

Advertisement
I will take note of the paragraphs and try to use them more often, onto your second point, Im sorry you cant put up with reality. Lets take a step back to the summer of this year where Miami was expected to be a 8-9 win team with a ceiling of 10 and a floor of 7. We were supposed to compete for the Coastal but instead got blown out by Midd Tenn State.

Yes the 8 were non-factors. You touched upon the first 4 and Porter, but lets talk about Porter. Porter or whatever CB we were going to get in the portal was supposed to come in and take the spot opposite of Rique. Hard Stop, that was what he was brought in to do, he didn't do it, and ended up starting just one game. He absolutely was a non factor. You can scream from the mountains that he started getting more playing time in the second half but you are outright misrepresenting what he was being brought in to do.

This then brings us Caleb, like Porter he was brought in to walk in and take the starting job. Instead It was Flagg who started 9 games for us. Try as Flagg might and he is a good kid that can diagnose plays, he just isnt it athletically. Caleb not being able to supplant him made him a non factor.

Then there is Ladson. I strongly believe 27 catches for 298yds and 1YD in 12 games is being a non factor in a WR room that desperately needed help. You seem to think otherwise, okay...

The last guy is Agude, and out of all of them, if I was 10 drinks in and puddled out on acid, I might, just might see some reasoning to your argument but sober, he was meh at best.

Yes, if we add 3 difference makers to our defense, and a WR1 to our offense our team is drastically improved. Part of our problem on offense was our guys could not separate outside of X, you add an Addison or a difference maker, best believe the offense now looks way different.

Now lastly, since we are still on the flipping the roster. It is not a FACT that the roster has been flipped. The roster will not be flipped at earliest summer of this year but most likely when we enter the 2024 season. So far we have flipped about 50% of the roster give or take arguing over some spots.

Let me point out something: Flipping the roster to some means filling it with more talented players and creating a winning team, not just ******* having new names on the depth chart…

Carry on…

Rusty mansell, on Jordan Burch:

My initial thoughts here are, there will be a lot of NIL involved here,

Checking last night, two teams that will be very involved, here will be Oregon and Miami.

Georgia will definitely reach out and see if there’s interest with him, but they will not win any type of NIL war for him if he comes to that.

Advertisement

I've addressed this, it is easy to crush your points.

I have never EVER seen anything saying that Porter was "supposed to come in and take the spot opposite of Rique". If you can find definitive predictions of that sort, fine. I'm not saying you are intentionally lying or that some crazy person never said that, I'm just saying I never saw it, I never believed it, and I really don't think that exists. There was even some belief that Porter would help us to sign his higher-rated brother. But the reality that is that we were taking a shot with Porter because he had 3 or 4 years to play, NOT because he was a Day 1 starter. You would have had to take an upperclassman or a grad transfer for THAT to be the case.

Caleb. He may not be your idea of a star, and that's fine. Frankly, I don't give a **** about "starts". The fact is, Flagg had 56 total tackles (solo plus assist) for #3 on the team and Johnson had 48 total tackles for #4 on the team. Sadly, our #1 and #2 tacklers were safeties, which tells the story of our crappy team this year. "Not being able to supplant" someone does not make them a non-factor. Failing to play and contribute and not having any stats is what makes someone a non-factor. Whether you choose to believe it or not, Johnson WAS a factor. Could have been a bigger factor. But he was our #4 tackler. That's a fact, regardless of whether you are disappointed that he didn't do more.

As for Ladson, I've already posted that the number of passes and the number of completions was down this year. Obviously, this will result in fewer receptions. Again, he was the #3 WR by receptions and yardage, and the stats for WR1, WR2, and WR3 are nearly identical. It's not Ladson's fault that our OL nearly got our top 3 QBs killed, and they were throwing to TEs and RBs more than anyone wanted. You can do your bull**** "I just think he was meh" nonsense, but the stats are there. The most important trend of all is that Ladson had great numbers with TVD (6 catches vs. MTSU, 8 catches vs. UNC, 5 catches vs. VaTech) and HORRIBLE numbers once Jake and Jacurri came in and started running the ball more.

I'm not going to address Agude. Like the others, you know he was a good player on a bad team, though he could have been better.

What is relevant to address is your bull**** myth about how our WRs "couldn't get separation". That's not really what happened. There were receivers running open quite frequently this year. Sometimes they ran the wrong routes. And other times the QB couldn't find them due to the pressure. But to act as if they "couldn't get separation" is not the correct analysis for our true issues in the passing game.

Not to mention the obvious aspect...even if we had gotten Addison...with our terrible OL and all of our injuries, he wouldn't have caught many more passes. Plenty of people are questioning what Addison accomplished by going to USC. His 2022 numbers were just over HALF of what he put up in 2021. So let's not act like he would have added 4 more wins to the Miami total last year. USC had three more completions per game than Miami did, which is 36 more receptions over a 12 game season. Jordan Addison may have had Frank Ladson-like numbers if he had transferred to Miami, not because he's not a better player (he is) but because Miami's offense was horrible and injured last year.

As for your fake stats on "flipping the roster", I've already proven it. By summer, we'll have 20 players MAX on the roster who were pre-Mario as we go into Mario's second season. 65 or more new players that Mario brought in. That's a flip, no matter how you try to delay it to 2024. 76% turnover is a roster flip, you don't need to get to 100%.

Advertisement
Back