Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Well I haven't started any threads so not sure what you're babbling about now geezer. The fact is we haven't been getting enough difference makers in the portal. I know that hurt your feelings to read but dig deep where your sack used to be and find a way to get tf over it. More earth shattering news for you, Santa isn't real.
FB1F1E27-C11E-43D8-9EE7-170CE89FBE51.gif

Advertisement
Justin Rogers, the transfer from Kentucky is a better NT than Nichols from Arkansas, but either would be a fine take because they can actually hold their water against a double.

I like Rogers way because how UK has played their line he is a true 1/0 Tech where as Nichols is a big 3Tech that slides to 0/1 tech.

I do agree both are proven players looking for a 1 and done new school.

Go Canes

Nope. Not grasping at straws at all. And stop ignoring Agude too.

It was pretty clear what happened last year, more than half of the team did not buy into the elevated standards and they quit on the team. Returning players, not Portal players.

We took 11 transfers. If you think we could have taken more under the 85 counters...well, we couldn't. So there was no way to bring in the NUMBER of transfers that USC or Ole Miss or F$U did.

And I'm not sure what you expected to happen with Frank Ladson when our QB play goes into the toilet. Was he supposed to run in front of other receivers to catch balls thrown to them? Our number of passing attempts plummeted. We attempted 11% fewer passes in 2022 vs. 2021 and we completed 14% fewer passes in 2022 than 2021. So, yes, ALL of our WRs had fewer statistical chances than they would have had the year before. I saw Ladson running free plenty of times last year, but if our QBs are running for their lives and getting injured, then Ladson won't get the stats.

Stop putting the blame for 5-7 on the transfers. The laziness and quitting came from prior roster players, not from the transfers.

Again, we had too many holes on the team to be fixed with 11 transfers. Would have been nice to take 20 like USC or 17 like Ole Miss, but we just didn't have the spots. I wish that more of our roster had "chosen" to leave like Nesta did, maybe we would have had better results.

And, yes, we got a late start in the Portal due to hiring Mario, we didn't have Norvell or Kiffin as a returning coach. When Miami had ONE Portal transfer (of 11) last year at this time, F$U had seven (of 14) at this time. And they got Jared Verse on January 7th.

We've got 4 now. I'd like to land at least 4 more within the next couple of weeks. I will be curious to see how the numbers/timing of Portal commits go (compared to last year) now that we have "windows". If you look at the dates last year, there were a TON of kids who committed between January 15th and May, so it will be interesing to compare last year's calendar to this year's.

“Didn’t buy into the “elevated” standards”. Man the coaching was terrible.

Advertisement
Not sure it's a choice for the semenholes.
If we want to talk portal vs hs, why do we need to bring in FSU? We have enough evidence of whether it works/sustainable by looking at our last two coaches. Manny was Norvell but he left, I think at the end of the day, it’s easy to see its not sustainable as the primary source of talent acquisition. It’s a fill in the gaps type resource.

The whole keeping enemy close and keepin it 100 is overplayed imo.

Advertisement
I am highly anticipating revisiting this in April/May.

I dont expect us to take a huge number like 4-5 other schools. But I think our average will be top 5.

FSU def has 3-4 kids that should help fill some holes immediately. But as others have mentioned. Jordan makes that team go. He isnt an elite passer...he is an elite gamer. He is tough, runs hard, and keeps plays alive. He's like FSU's version of Randle El from back in the day. Jordan doesnt make the bad decision Randle El did at times..and Randle El was a legit threat with his legs but same type of athlete who is tough to game plan for. If he gets hurt they are in trouble. He managed to avoid taking to many big hits this year. Which as a whole the two X factors for FSU this year was they really avoided the injury bug as well as anyone and every bounce seemed to go there way. Which hate it or love it is part of the game. Next year does a team miss an extra point, Does a team have 2 drives stall while driving to win, does Florida have 3-4 WR out, do they play a bowl game vs a team that is starting a whole new OL?

With WR it's a clear reason why but the DT position is definitely puzzling in every conceivable way
We've done well to upgrade several position groups in terms of primarily depth, but also some top end. WR and DT remain glaring holes. We have depth issues at S, but I am not panicking just yet at that position.

Advertisement
If McClain signs, CB is upgraded on top end (Brown Bros, McClain, Stafford, 2nd year Graves), although that's VERY young, very unpredictable, and very shallow.
Leaves us with at least 1 corner spot filled by someone with little to no college experience. Certainly a lot of talent though.

Advertisement
Back