Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

It takes a true clown to make an assessment off of stats. Averaging 25 yards and 2 catches a game is not worth mentioning. I could find a 1 legged troll doll that could be just as effective. Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope and rolling over in their grave. Caleb Johnson made Steed look like an All American. Time to up the dosage.

Look, even a blind man knows that our entire passing game suffered once TVD went down. Jacurri had all of 19 passing attempts as a starter vs. GaTech and then 13 attempts at Clemson. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you cut down on the passing and go heavy with the QB runs, that the WR stats will decline as well. And Jake Garcia was an absolute disaster at QB. 21 passing attempts vs. Duke. 27 passing attempts vs. Pitt. And his season-high of 31 passing attempts against UVa in QUADRUPLE overtime.

Wow. What a passing attack. I wonder why our top 3 WRs didn't have eye-popping stats.

As for Caleb Johnson, your one-word assessment means nothing. He was our #4 tackler, period. Do you think if the defense had played better, he would have plummeted to #10? Regardless of your feels, he was a solid contributor.

Advertisement
Johnson was pretty much worthless, and didn’t surprise me as I stated from the second that we were interested that it’d be a blah take.

Ladson was an average player at best in a poor offense. Could he have been more with a competent OC? Probably, but we will never know. He at least made a play or 2 last year. Johnson couldn’t really separate himself from Flagg and Steed (before injury). He did nothing for us.

Look, I wish Caleb Johnson had been more explosive, but he made tackles, he made TFLs, he made sacks. "Worthless" is just not accurate. He is Top 10 in all of the relevant defensive stats, which makes him a starter, which is a "solid player". Not spectacular. Solid.

Frank Ladson is the same. We can crap on his receptions/yardage, but he was getting receptions/yardage on the rare occasions that our QBs completed passes to WRs. Again, top 3 WR in production (and **** close to #2) makes him a starter, which is a "solid player". Not spectacular. Solid.

I wish the whole team had played better, and I wish that everyone had better stats. But to call Caleb Johnson and Frank Ladson "duds" when we had a bad year is just ridiculous. Nothing really worked well last year, but they showed up and played solid.

Look, even a blind man knows that our entire passing game suffered once TVD went down. Jacurri had all of 19 passing attempts as a starter vs. GaTech and then 13 attempts at Clemson. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you cut down on the passing and go heavy with the QB runs, that the WR stats will decline as well. And Jake Garcia was an absolute disaster at QB. 21 passing attempts vs. Duke. 27 passing attempts vs. Pitt. And his season-high of 31 passing attempts against UVa in QUADRUPLE overtime.

Wow. What a passing attack. I wonder why our top 3 WRs didn't have eye-popping stats.

As for Caleb Johnson, your one-word assessment means nothing. He was our #4 tackler, period. Do you think if the defense had played better, he would have plummeted to #10? Regardless of your feels, he was a solid contributor.
Yea I'm good on your geriatric evals. Don't have to read all that to know you think that you made valid arguments. No top 25 team in country would take either of those bums rn if given chance.

You are grasping at straws here. Mesidor stood out, Jackson was decent and Parrish was good when healthy. The rest of the guys were meh af, and that played out in us finishing 5-7 with us getting blown out by Mid Tenn and Duke at home. That is putrid. We needed anyone to step up at WR and MLB and the two transfers just did not. We get solid contributions from those other guys and we are better than 5-7. I just don’t see how you can rationalize otherwise. The portal haul was supposed to supplement the roster and that haul failed, end of story.

Advertisement
@cway313

@Coach Prime shows flashes of brilliance then throws it all away with stinkers like this. It’s who he is.

@JamesQuall was interested in taking over for me in my retirement. But looking at his profile, he hasn’t been seen since XMas. 1st week on the job and he takes a vacation week. I should have done a background check on him.

@cway313

@Coach Prime shows flashes of brilliance then throws it all away with stinkers like this. It’s who he is.

@JamesQuall was interested in taking over for me in my retirement. But looking at his profile, he hasn’t been seen since XMas. 1st week on the job and he takes a vacation week. I should have done a background check on him.
Paternity leave my brother. Between the holidays and a new baby boy I’m stretched thin.

I’ll continue to do what I can to corral these ne'er-do-wells

Cowboy Yeehaw Agenda GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
You are grasping at straws here. Mesidor stood out, Jackson was decent and Parrish was good when healthy. The rest of the guys were meh af, and that played out in us finishing 5-7 with us getting blown out by Mid Tenn and Duke at home. That is putrid. We needed anyone to step up at WR and MLB and the two transfers just did not. We get solid contributions from those other guys and we are better than 5-7. I just don’t see how you can rationalize otherwise. The portal haul was supposed to supplement the roster and that haul failed, end of story.

Nope. Not grasping at straws at all. And stop ignoring Agude too.

It was pretty clear what happened last year, more than half of the team did not buy into the elevated standards and they quit on the team. Returning players, not Portal players.

We took 11 transfers. If you think we could have taken more under the 85 counters...well, we couldn't. So there was no way to bring in the NUMBER of transfers that USC or Ole Miss or F$U did.

And I'm not sure what you expected to happen with Frank Ladson when our QB play goes into the toilet. Was he supposed to run in front of other receivers to catch balls thrown to them? Our number of passing attempts plummeted. We attempted 11% fewer passes in 2022 vs. 2021 and we completed 14% fewer passes in 2022 than 2021. So, yes, ALL of our WRs had fewer statistical chances than they would have had the year before. I saw Ladson running free plenty of times last year, but if our QBs are running for their lives and getting injured, then Ladson won't get the stats.

Stop putting the blame for 5-7 on the transfers. The laziness and quitting came from prior roster players, not from the transfers.

Again, we had too many holes on the team to be fixed with 11 transfers. Would have been nice to take 20 like USC or 17 like Ole Miss, but we just didn't have the spots. I wish that more of our roster had "chosen" to leave like Nesta did, maybe we would have had better results.

And, yes, we got a late start in the Portal due to hiring Mario, we didn't have Norvell or Kiffin as a returning coach. When Miami had ONE Portal transfer (of 11) last year at this time, F$U had seven (of 14) at this time. And they got Jared Verse on January 7th.

We've got 4 now. I'd like to land at least 4 more within the next couple of weeks. I will be curious to see how the numbers/timing of Portal commits go (compared to last year) now that we have "windows". If you look at the dates last year, there were a TON of kids who committed between January 15th and May, so it will be interesing to compare last year's calendar to this year's.

This might sound crazy but I’m glad we are not getting any WRs..Mario has no excuse to bring Gattis back its a negative any way you look at it and is really hurting the team..it’s still not too late for Mario to do the right thing

Advertisement
Back