Transfer Portal watch

Where are all the misses? Honestly, there isnt much to pick from... Those that we could get here, that we wanted, signed.
I don't really look at it at misses on specific players but more so misses on addressing gaps we all know about. Cristobal has still nailed the offseason so far but if we would have gotten a few of these pieces sorted then this team would have been set up for major success.

Improving talent level + depth in the LB room
C
aleb Johnson is a fine addition but we still lack high end talent at the position. I would have loved to see 1 more addition here. Caleb + Tatum Bethune would make me feel a lot better about the LB room.

Adding an experienced WR to the room
Similar to the above but we definitely have more talent at this position group. Would have loved to seen an Isaiah Neyor, Jacob Cowing, Antwane Wells, or convince Tyrese to stay in the portal. Instead we got Ladson which is a decent addition but doesn't address the lack of productivity we still have there.

Addressing RT
We added some depth / starter caliber pieces to the interior but still missing a high level RT. Less concerns here for obvious reasons but would have loved getting a proven stud at RT like Miles Frazier or Tyler Steen.

Advertisement
Staff did a good job turning over the DL and they added some good depth to the interior OL.

They failed at WR, LB, RT, and it remains to be seen at CB.

Overall the team talent is a little better but still with big gaps.

I’d say with this current roster it’s an 8 or 9 win, top 25-ish team. We can compete for the coastal with this roster
I’d say we have to be careful how we attach ‘fail’ to Mario and his staff this soon.

I’d say we have to be careful how we attach ‘fail’ to Mario and his staff this soon.
We have posters saying coaches “failed” before even seeing 1 snap of how those units play in a real game.

Assuming they think this coaching staff is better than last years (obviously), and the team talent is “a little better”, I don’t understand predictions of an “8 or 9 win season” when we won 7 without a bowl game last year. ****, in the ACC we lost 3 games by a combined total of 8 points. This team isn’t 8 points better than last year?

“Compete for the coastal” dawg we were 2nd in the coastal last year and beat the winners @ their house. No sh* we gonna compete in the coastal. This team should WIN the coastal.

Advertisement
We have posters saying coaches “failed” before even seeing 1 snap of how those units play in a real game.

Assuming they think this coaching staff is better than last years (obviously), and the team talent is “a little better”, I don’t understand predictions of an “8 or 9 win season” when we won 7 without a bowl game last year. ****, in the ACC we lost 3 games by a combined total of 8 points. This team isn’t 8 points better than last year?

“Compete for the coastal” dawg we were 2nd in the coastal last year and beat the winners @ their house. No sh* we gonna compete in the coastal. This team should WIN the coastal.
Because you are looking at things selectively.

If you are going to make a close loss mean something, you also need to make a close win mean something. We won 3 games by 3 or less points including a g5 opponent, and another by 4 points. we were a broken play, a missed or made kick, or a turnover away from being a 3 win team just as easily as we could have been an 11 win team. Fortunately, we split our one score games, that doesn't necessarily happen every year, see Nebraska who went 0-7 in games decided by 7 or less in 2021.

If the talent is a little better, that isn't necessarily enough. We over rate our guys, which is reinforced by our awful showing in the draft.

We have a new staff that we think is better, but our new coaches do not have their horses as the team is still mostly last regimes recruits in the upper classes. The staff also doesn't have guys that have multiple years in the system that can run the complex elements to perfection.

Would it surprise me if we won 10 games? Not at all, because I agree the staff is better and we have an easy schedule. Would it surprise me if we only won 8? Also no, because we still aren't a top 10 team in talent, and we have a new staff that will have some hiccups installing.

Because you are looking at things selectively.

If you are going to make a close loss mean something, you also need to make a close win mean something. We won 3 games by 3 or less points including a g5 opponent, and another by 4 points. we were a broken play, a missed or made kick, or a turnover away from being a 3 win team just as easily as we could have been an 11 win team. Fortunately, we split our one score games, that doesn't necessarily happen every year, see Nebraska who went 0-7 in games decided by 7 or less in 2021.

If the talent is a little better, that isn't necessarily enough. We over rate our guys, which is reinforced by our awful showing in the draft.

We have a new staff that we think is better, but our new coaches do not have their horses as the team is still mostly last regimes recruits in the upper classes. The staff also doesn't have guys that have multiple years in the system that can run the complex elements to perfection.

Would it surprise me if we won 10 games? Not at all, because I agree the staff is better and we have an easy schedule. Would it surprise me if we only won 8? Also no, because we still aren't a top 10 team in talent, and we have a new staff that will have some hiccups installing.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on 8 wins because Manny was on his way to that if we played the bowl game. I absolutely think with this roster + coaching staff that the close wins will be more comfortable and some of the close losses will now be wins.

Also, the draft was terrible for us but thats in no way a representation of the talent on this roster, half those guys got passed up by the young talent while they were here anyway.

Advertisement
The standard I use is did you address the weakness you had going in.

Linebacker was the weakest unit on the team and we added a total of one guy who is a decent player but nothing all world. They needed to add a guy like Mikel or Flowe honestly to turn that group around.

If they had landed Mims, Mikel, and Addison this team would be knocking on the door for a playoff spot this year. Sucks that they couldn’t get it done. Those are the offseason wins and losses that add up and decide your fate during critical times in critical games

If you want to compete with Georgia and Bama these are the kinds of offseason wins you need to stack up

So you are saying our coaches "failed" over a guy who pulled out of the Portal, a guy who never entered the Portal, and a guy who isn't even officially in the Portal, and hasn't made his decision yet?

Overreact much?

I see 10 wins. Top 2 QB in the ACC, decent OL coached by Mirabal and the 2nd most talented DL ( probably deepest) in ACC. I think we win 10

Yeah, people only look at Miami when they make these crazy predictions.

They don't factor in that the defending ACC champ (who we beat last year) just lost a first-round-draft-pick QB and a Biletnikoff-winning WR.

A 10-win season is well within our potential. Not saying we will do it, we are thin in some spots and can't afford injuries. But 10 wins is very very possible.

The standard I use is did you address the weakness you had going in.

Linebacker was the weakest unit on the team and we added a total of one guy who is a decent player but nothing all world. They needed to add a guy like Mikel or Flowe honestly to turn that group around.

If they had landed Mims, Mikel, and Addison this team would be knocking on the door for a playoff spot this year. Sucks that they couldn’t get it done. Those are the offseason wins and losses that add up and decide your fate during critical times in critical games

If you want to compete with Georgia and Bama these are the kinds of offseason wins you need to stack up
Personally, even if we landed those extra portal guys I wouldn't automatically expect us to compete for the playoffs year 1. We really have no way of knowing if Mims or Mikel were every seriously interested at all. But either way, definitely would've been nice to add a couple more difference makers.

So you are saying our coaches "failed" over a guy who pulled out of the Portal, a guy who never entered the Portal, and a guy who isn't even officially in the Portal, and hasn't made his decision yet?

Overreact much?

I mean…I said “They failed at WR, LB, RT, and it remains to be seen at CB.”

That’s the context in which I used the word. I also said they succeeded at DL and so I was balanced and fair, just assessing the facts and where we landed.

My claim was true. They failed to sure up those spots. I don’t see that as an overreaction. It is what it is.

Mims, Mikel, and a mystery WR were proof that we pursued difference makers at these spots and failed to land them.

Overreaction would be to freak out over that fact. I didn’t. I predicted 8 or 9 wins, which is a modest improvement over last year, just as our current roster is a modest improvement over last year.

Advertisement
I mean…I said “They failed at WR, LB, RT, and it remains to be seen at CB.”

That’s the context in which I used the word. I also said they succeeded at DL and so I was balanced and fair, just assessing the facts and where we landed.

My claim was true. They failed to sure up those spots. I don’t see that as an overreaction. It is what it is.

Mims, Mikel, and a mystery WR were proof that we pursued difference makers at these spots and failed to land them.

Overreaction would be to freak out over that fact. I didn’t. I predicted 8 or 9 wins, which is a modest improvement over last year, just as our current roster is a modest improvement over last year.

I understand your quote. In your next post, though, you also said:

"If they had landed Mims, Mikel, and Addison this team would be knocking on the door for a playoff spot this year."

So if we are knocking on the CFP door with those three, that would be the opposite of failing, particularly when those three guys play the exact three positions you mentioned (WR, LB, RT).

I'm not saying you didn't mix in some praise. But you said that we "failed" at three positions and that we would be "knocking on the door for a playoff spot" if we had landed three guys, one who pulled out of the Portal, one who never entered the Portal, and one who has not yet selected a landing spot.

That is all. I'm not reading and/or quoting you selectively, I'm actually reading multiple posts from you.

And it is not some sort of personal super-criticism, just a reflection of my opinion that using the word "fail" in a situation involving three positions and three players (two of which are beyond our control), particularly when we have 3 months left to secure the services of transfer players, is an inaccurate reflection of what our coaches have accomplished thus far.

That is all.

Advertisement
Not sure if posted already

F3D9D862-53E2-4042-98DF-B49123D1A55F.png
0B1E224F-7D75-44F3-982A-EFC0EF09A83B.png

No true. 4.4 guy out of high school

I Googled him and saw a 4.68 from some old high school stats. If you’re saying he’s a legit 4.4 then I’m all in. Otherwise run with what we’ve got and just have either Mallory or Skinner split wide when you want a big receiver, assuming Ladson’s light doesn’t switch on.

Advertisement
Back