Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane - what is the rule here? Alabama has taken transfers from LSU, UGA, and Vandy this off-season. They took an LB from Tenn last year who played immediately There is no way these next 3 are sitting a year. Is there a waiver that allows them to play immediately?

I know the NCAA rule is that players have to notify the school of their intent to transfer by May 1. Not sure if the SEC rule is "notify" or "enroll".

---Eli Ricks decided to transfer to Alabama from LSU on 12/15/2021 - NO PROBLEM, immediately eligible.

---Jermaine Burton decided to transfer to Alabama from Georgia on 1/23/2022 - NO PROBLEM, immediately eligible.

---Tyler Steen decided to transfer to Alabama from Vanderbilt on 4/12/2022 - UNDER FURTHER REVIEW.

With Burton, seing as how he entered the Portal on 1/19, I am going to assume that his rapid movement was in time to register for classes in January before the late-registration deadline.

With Steen, I am not sure what his story is. He entered the Portal on 1/11/2022. If the SEC rule is "notify", then he is OK. If the SEC rule is "enroll", then he would need another exception. Steen enrolled in 2018. At an academic school like Vanderbilt, it is entirely possible that he has already graduated. I have a suspicion that the "February 1" date for SEC-to-SEC transfers might not apply to kids who graduate, as they should be entitled to choose whatever grad school they desire. And, as always, there could be an application for a waiver of the rule.

So I am not sure WHY Steen would be eligible to play immediately, I only know that if Saban took him, he has likely already figured that out well ahead of any of us doing so.

I know the NCAA rule is that players have to notify the school of their intent to transfer by May 1. Not sure if the SEC rule is "notify" or "enroll".

---Eli Ricks decided to transfer to Alabama from LSU on 12/15/2021 - NO PROBLEM, immediately eligible.

---Jermaine Burton decided to transfer to Alabama from Georgia on 1/23/2022 - NO PROBLEM, immediately eligible.

---Tyler Steen decided to transfer to Alabama from Vanderbilt on 4/12/2022 - UNDER FURTHER REVIEW.

With Burton, seing as how he entered the Portal on 1/19, I am going to assume that his rapid movement was in time to register for classes in January before the late-registration deadline.

With Steen, I am not sure what his story is. He entered the Portal on 1/11/2022. If the SEC rule is "notify", then he is OK. If the SEC rule is "enroll", then he would need another exception. Steen enrolled in 2018. At an academic school like Vanderbilt, it is entirely possible that he has already graduated. I have a suspicion that the "February 1" date for SEC-to-SEC transfers might not apply to kids who graduate, as they should be entitled to choose whatever grad school they desire. And, as always, there could be an application for a waiver of the rule.

So I am not sure WHY Steen would be eligible to play immediately, I only know that if Saban took him, he has likely already figured that out well ahead of any of us doing so.
It’s ok if you’re a graduate correct ? Steen is a graduate transfer. I’m pretty sure all
bets are off if you’re a graduate.

Advertisement
**** he tweeted it out too lol

1650924994177.png

It’s ok if you’re a graduate correct ? Isn’t he a graduate ? Just like the corner a couple years ago that went to Uga.

Yeah, that's why I left that exception open for discussion. I cannot imagine that the SEC would prevent a student who has legitimately graduated (QUTE the accomplishment in the SEC!) to not move on to another school.

I understand the rule for undergrads, so that it dissuades "tampering" with another school's undergrads, but I think grads can go wherever they want whenever they want.

Quite frankly, in my honest opinion, graduates aren't even "transfers" anyhow. They are GRAD STUDENTS and should be respected accordingly. Now, I can understand if a kid is enrolled in his FINAL semester as an undergrad, and you use the Portal as the mechanism for permitting legal conversations and visits with other schools...but I don't see how you could prevent an actual graduate from enrolling at a new school.

Advertisement
Bro we got an NIl deal and I hear Mario fatten up the stipend checks. Ain’t nobody trying to leave the U man. You can make money just being a Jag on the bench.
It’s a case of you ain’t got to go home but you can’t stay up in here. Mario doesn’t want jags on his roster . I posted when he arrived he’d rather roll short handed with quality versus full 85 with scrubs.

Advertisement
It’s a case of you ain’t got to go home but you can’t stay up in here. Mario doesn’t want jags on his roster . I posted when he arrived he’d rather roll short handed with quality versus full 85 with scrubs.
That's how the big boys roll. You don't waste schollies and compete for natties.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back