Transfer Portal watch

Yeah not sure how 2nd team all conference in pac 12 translates to jag. We have coaches that played against him and evaluated film etc. Our fanbase is strange
My problem is setting all conference as the expectation from this guy. We need better lb’s and he checks that box but I’m not spinning this into all my concerns are gone at Lb. Our fan base loves to over hype and ignore potential red flags. Why can’t we meet in the middle

Advertisement
I fully agree just saying 2nd team all conference isn't the end al be all. But I'd also take a sack of potatoes out the Portal to replace Flagg/Steed
agreed. And Caleb Johnson is a good linebacker. Would start immediately here. I think I read an article where Gaby said that Mario told him, I like the way you play
you were always tough to play against ( regarding Caleb). If that guy is our 2nd teamer ( If/ When we bring Jones in) that is scary good depth with proven starters that have produced at P5 level conferences.

At worst he is our starting Lb and pairing him with Chase Smith and one more of Keontra ( possibly Gentry) makes our starting lbs a B+/A- unit.

My problem is setting all conference as the expectation from this guy. We need better lb’s and he checks that box but I’m not spinning this into all my concerns are gone at Lb. Our fan base loves to over hype and ignore potential red flags. Why can’t we meet in the middle
I don't see the red flags and don't think the coaches stop recruiting the position if he comes on board.

I don't see the red flags and don't think the coaches stop recruiting the position if he comes on board.
You don’t think it’s a red flag that he had 0 tackles for loss last year, 0 sacks and 0 interceptions. You don’t think it’s a red flag that guy that started every game at LB in 2021 last year made 0 statistical impact in all of those categories? Is he Jon Ford? Wtf was he doing lol was he playing safety?

Maybe I’m crazy. Again I’m not saying he’s trash but I think it’s fair to temper expectations until he proves it.

Edit: I was being harsh he had 1 pick

Advertisement
You don’t think it’s a red flag that he had 0 tackles for loss last year, 0 sacks and 0 interceptions. You don’t think it’s a red flag that guy that started every game at LB in 2021 last year made 0 statistical impact in all of those categories? Is he Jon Ford? Wtf was he doing lol was he playing safety?

Maybe I’m crazy. Again I’m not saying he’s trash but I think it’s fair to temper expectations until he proves it.

Edit: I was being harsh he had 1 pick
Did he really start all the games? That is pretty bad

First off dudes a clown.

Secondly I went awol for two months so I quit following all things recruiting. Last I heard was he was staying , I never checked back. I didn’t know about him going back in forth and being indecisive. I mentioned / insinuated him, Ladson and Lichtenstein back then on the CL show. That’s how far this goes back lol.

This new Nil stuff with the Portal has made this crazy and unpredictable.
AWOL- big dog, hope all is well with you and or your crew. Hopefully it was just awol from this awesomeness.

Advertisement
He started 17 of 18 games the last two seasons. I’m really not trying to dog the kid. I just wanna caution people thinking he’s our savior lol
I don’t think anybody thinks he’s our savior.

But he’s an upgrade over what we currently have.

At best he’s a serviceable backer, but he’s not an All-world player by any stretch of the imagination.

Mikel would be a homerun add if he decided to hit the Portal (although it looks like that’s not happening), Caleb is a significant drop off from Mikel, but he’s definitely better than Steed or Flagg, so unfortunately that’s where we’re at.

At best he’s a serviceable backer, but he’s not an All-world player by any stretch of the imagination.

Mikel would be a homerun add if he decided to hit the Portal (although it looks like that’s not happening), Caleb is a significant drop off from Mikel, but he’s definitely better than Steed or Flagg, so unfortunately that’s where we’re at.
I agree 100%

Advertisement

A pretty good college Lb would be a big upgrade in the lb room. Mikel would be a grand slam. But we need multiple bodies in that group.

Some of our fans need to learn the saying, “Don’t let the great be the enemy of the good.”

Is Caleb great? Probably not. But he’s a solid upgrade from what is on the team currently. That is good. There isn’t a “great” MLB in the portal right now.

Dont count out Mikel yet .

Advertisement
Some of our fans need to learn the saying, “Don’t let the great be the enemy of the good.”

Is Caleb great? Probably not. But he’s a solid upgrade from what is on the team currently. That is good. There isn’t a “great” MLB in the portal right now.

ASU LB looks pretty close to great. I would take him, Caleb, and tamper the **** out of Mikel, whatever it takes.

Dont count out Mikel yet .
I wouldn’t count him in or out after the last few months. I’ll wait for him to enter the portal before I do either. Regardless something will be decided in the next week or so. If the kid has been this indecisive I doubt the 247 guy would know for sure. This didn’t just start.
Hope not but cuse 247 writer says it's doesn't look like it's happening

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back