Transfer portal watch thread!! (Versions 1.0 - 4.0 merged)

Advertisement
But if he were to transfer why risk injury in a non playoff(meaningless)bowl game.Why not just transfer now like J.Johnson did.This is why I'm thinking our transfers are from playoff teams.
I’m not speculating on the corner transfer. Just saying that I’m assuming that he’s leaning towards playing another year when he’s signing up to play Cincinnati in a meaningless game. But to answer your question, there will be tons of kids who playing in non-playoff games and still transfer.

Lol can we put together that list I know tc Fred Davis ( don’t know if it was real interest)) Stevenson what other corners after that ??

Pat Surtain. And that is less of a possibility that TC for the same basic reasons. I suppose there is a touch of ambiguity in what a 5-star is. Plenty of consensus high 4 stars on 247 are 5 stars in one service or another. I would honestly guess it's a player like that if I was forced to make a guess. Or maybe its a kid who didn't really consider us out of HS.

I’m not speculating on the corner transfer. Just saying that I’m assuming that he’s leaning towards playing another year when he’s signing up to play in meaningless game. But to answer your question, there will be tons of kids who playing in non-playoff games and still transfer.
I’ll say this about why a kid would continue to play a bowl game and not just bounce.
1) The NFL is always watching.
2) No one wants to give credibility to a coaching staff they’re leaving. One could have their reputation, character and work ethic challenged. “He left us high and dry. Can’t be trusted to support his teammates.”
3) That last sentence in 2, you play for your friends and teammates.
4) Your grades haven’t been posted. Who do you trust after you leave. No one
5) There is money in the form of grants, that kids count on. A scholarship and food isn’t enough to live as an athlete.
6) You’ve worked all year to get to a bowl. They’re fun, there’s gifts, it’s a new city and experience. These kids aren’t stupid. It’s not as simple as quitting a job at Walmart to work at Target. There’s millions and millions on the line.

As to the NFL is always watching....I work with a Baylor guy. He told me 2 Baylor players decided to opt out at some point this season, I'm not sure when. They told the coaches, who were disappointed, obviously. Coach Ruhle who recruited these guys called both of them on his own time, during the NFL season with nothing to gain but looking after his former players, and told them he loved them and not to do this. He told them the NFL is watching and it doesn't look good. The players took Ruhle's advice because they trust him and asked to be let back on the team. The coaches put it to the team, and the leadership counsel on the team made up of players (not coaches) let them back on, but stripped them of their single-digit numbers, which are reserved for players who demonstrate, leadership, commitment, etc. to the team (as voted on by the team). I was told that as the season progressed, both players earned their single-digit jersey numbers back.

Anyway, thought it was a cool story.

Advertisement
As to the NFL is always watching....I work with a Baylor guy. He told me 2 Baylor players decided to opt out at some point this season, I'm not sure when. They told the coaches, who were disappointed, obviously. Coach Ruhle who recruited these guys called both of them on his own time, during the NFL season with nothing to gain but looking after his former players, and told them he loved them and not to do this. He told them the NFL is watching and it doesn't look good. The players took Ruhle's advice because they trust him and asked to be let back on the team. The coaches put it to the team, and the leadership counsel on the team made up of players (not coaches) let them back on, but stripped them of their single-digit numbers, which are reserved for players who demonstrate, leadership, commitment, etc. to the team (as voted on by the team). I was told that as the season progressed, both players earned their single-digit jersey numbers back.

Anyway, thought it was a cool story.
I heard a scout with my own two ears say multiple teams have said they won’t touch kids who opted out for the year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I guess we have our own lab rat with Rousseau. We’ll see if he’s top 10 like he was In early projections. That’s before he opted out.
That's setting up an unfair standard. The 'top 10' lists from a year ago are uninformed blah blah lists.

He will have a senior day, combine etc. He may go top 10. May not. It won't likely be because of this year. It'll be what the NFL thinks his potential is and the risks of drafting him.

That's setting up an unfair standard. The 'top 10' lists from a year ago are uninformed blah blah lists.

He will have a senior day, combine etc. He may go top 10. May not. It won't likely be because of this year. It'll be what the NFL thinks his potential is and the risks of drafting him.
Opting Out the entire season also matters to more folks than what average fans think. Honestly it would matter to me. My point is you lol’d at it but it actually matters to people. Especially when a franchise is investing millions of dollars and a important pick. A pick a gm cant mess up in today’s football. You get one , maybe two then you’re fired.

Advertisement
It would be one thing if all projected top 30-60 picks opted out due to Covid, but when you have guys like Trevor Lawrence who is #1 pick in draft not only come back and play, BUT lead the charge to have college football this year, it becomes more a bad look for the “opt out” guys.

If Rousseau had 4 sacks year before does he opt out this year? That’s what I think scouts want to know. I think Greg had a lot to prove this year, and could have became a legend at Miami had he come back, but now he really won’t.

Advertisement
I’ll never believe it’s a good idea , out of sight , out of mind. More film is always better than less.
Unless he thought he would never do the same thing the following season.......maybe he didnt believe he could have a season like that one and played it safe.

Will we be happy? 😂
👀

C2E0B524-2E11-4789-956A-C3FFA6F0EA2C.gif

Advertisement
Back