I’ll play
I wish we woulda kept one of Kinsler and Plaz. We lack size and strength on the interior currently so at worse either of those two would change that. With regards to Kinsler, if the plan all along was to allow McCoy and Samson to float or get the first shot at tackle I wish we could have gotten Kinsler some guard snaps last year during some blowouts to see how he woulda done on the inside. I’m of the belief he woulda been a powerful guard as I don’t think he has the foot quickness for tackle. We Invested 2 and 3 years in both plaz and Kinsler and I woulda preferred one of them to stay. Whether or not they’d solve the interior who knows. But they both have started and are co starters in the SEC within this first month so clearly there’s enough talent there
Plazz has played 9 snaps this year. N.I.N.E. He's also listed as 3rd string G on their depth chart. I don't know if that is accurate, nor do I know if he is hurt. The snap count says he is far from being a co starter.
Kinsler has played about 50 snaps thus far and had a minor injury in his first game. He is far from lighting it up there. It's been mentioned several times over several threads that Kinsler woud've been nice to keep, but he received a nutso offer from Ole Miss and we declined to match. Think about that last part - we declined to match. Why? I'm guessing because the coaches saw enough in his three seasons here to know what they had in him which was a rotational backup. Because of the injury though, I'm willing to table the Kinsler discussion til later in the season.
Both Kinsler and Plazz would've been retentions, not pick ups via the portal. I don't want to hammer that part, but it is worth mentioning and I also asked who was available in the portal that we missed on. So far I still haven't seen any names.
Now in order to be fair, would both of those guys be upgrades over what we've seen from SJ? Kinsler for sure, Plazz maybe. I also think because SJ is so small (pause) and played so poorly, that people are kind of misremembering what these guys were. And trust me, I get it. I was at the Stanford game and wanted to puke when I saw SJ doing his Helen Keller impersonation out there. I saw how bad he looked in other games as well. IMO, SJ is not a P4 OL. I also am not an OL coach or scout, but I don't think you need to be to look over at a 6'0" dude standing next to Cantwell and Congdon to see a difference. Also, because SJ played so poorly and is so small, it sort makes the size issue stand out more than it really does. Buchanon is 6'4". No one is really talking about his size, largely because he doesn't suck like SJ. Replace SJ with Congdon and now we have 6'5" at LT, 6'8" at LG, 6'3" at C, 6'4" at RG and 6'6" at RT with weights that all make sense as well. That's a very respectable line.
All those words to say yeah it would've been nice to keep those guys, but I think it would've di$rupted the overall chemi$try in the OL room had we upped the ante to retain them AND I'm still waiting for non Hurricane names that were eligible.
I hope this response was somewhat respectable.
And I'm sure I missed a few pauses in there so Pause.