Transfer C Lynn Kidd signs with Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Am I watching the same CBB that you guys are?

The only good teams that I've seen in recent years with waves of quality bench players are FSU and Samford. Basketball is a top-heavy sport, especially in college.

If your top 4 are good, you're good. We can piece it together after that. Heck, we made the E8 in 2022 with Sam as our 5th best player and Anthony Walker as our 6th best lol.

Obviously we need to add more to the roster. But if Omier comes back, that's already the foundation of a tournament team.
Couldn’t agree more, having 12-13 capable guys is unrealistic, if you have 7 or 8 that is very good. Once you go past 7 you are just praying 8-10 aren’t going to be net negatives.

Also, like you said miamis never been like that, we went to the final 4 with Beverley who was about average and walker who was a negative as the 7th and 8th guys.

If omier comes back and we can get 1 or 2 contributors in the portal above Anthony walker level we are in great shape.

LOL.

I just don't understand how someone can watch CBB and say that depth is that important. Obviously it'd be great to have more depth, but the best teams win bc of their stars. Teams that play like FSU are rare (and don't usually win big either)
Look at the teams this year in the Elite 8 so far and you will see very good depth on all those teams so far. Bama has multiple players on the bench who were starters at other programs and have very good depth in addition to having 4 All Conference type players. Illinois had the depth necessary that when Shannon was out for a month plus they didn't fall off a cliff. Clemson has the depth to go 9 deep, obviously Hall, Hunter, Girard, and Shefflin make that team go but the have the depth necessary that injuries and foul trouble don't cause them to fall apart. UCONN obviously has the star power and depth this year.

Am I watching the same CBB that you guys are?

The only good teams that I've seen in recent years with waves of quality bench players are FSU and Samford. Basketball is a top-heavy sport, especially in college.

If your top 4 are good, you're good. We can piece it together after that. Heck, we made the E8 in 2022 with Sam as our 5th best player and Anthony Walker as our 6th best lol.

Obviously we need to add more to the roster. But if Omier comes back, that's already the foundation of a tournament team.
I disagree that rotation isn’t important. Tennessee, UCONN, etc, all have a ton of depth and rotate effectively. Tennessee’s top 8 is easily one of the best in the country, and they play to that strength.

Think we are mitigating the impairment of last year’s team because of how it finished. Being able to play only 5-6 guys is a risk, in every scenario. This year we couldn’t sustain a competitive squad because we simply had 1-2 guys injured at a time, they were always rushed back to the court, and there was no one playable behind them.

We made the Final 4 with an 8 man rotation and next to no size. Please, just stop.
What's your point? Yes we had a quality 8 man rotation, Beverly and Joseph were high quality subs as well as a starting 5 that fit perfectly together. We had 4 really good players this past year without depth and look what happened.

Advertisement
Look at the teams this year in the Elite 8 so far and you will see very good depth on all those teams so far. Bama has multiple players on the bench who were starters at other programs and have very good depth in addition to having 4 All Conference type players. Illinois had the depth necessary that when Shannon was out for a month plus they didn't fall off a cliff. Clemson has the depth to go 9 deep, obviously Hall, Hunter, Girard, and Shefflin make that team go but the have the depth necessary that injuries and foul trouble don't cause them to fall apart. UCONN obviously has the star power and depth this year.
Alabama has 8 players playing more than 10 MPG, including 4 that play over 25 min
Illinois goes 8 deep
Clemson is deeper but that team is the outlier with the rest of this group given how inconsistent they were all year

What's your point? Yes we had a quality 8 man rotation, Beverly and Joseph were high quality subs as well as a starting 5 that fit perfectly together. We had 4 really good players this past year without depth and look what happened.
You're complaining about depth. 'Depth' in basketball is being able to go two deep at each position. We didn't have it this year, yes, but you need 3 guys off the bench you can trust to give you between 10-20 min of solid minutes.

Alabama has 8 players playing more than 10 MPG, including 4 that play over 25 min
Illinois goes 8 deep
Clemson is deeper but that team is the outlier with the rest of this group given how inconsistent they were all year
Exactly you need to be able to have an 8 man rotation. Bama showed last night they have been able to go further than 8 deep. Diaboute was their 10th man going into the season but got minutes due to injuries during the year and played pretty well in a sweet 16 game last night. Omier (if he comes back), Pack, Bethea, and Kidd are only halfway to getting us to an 8 man rotation. Swartz and Djobet can't be counted upon to give us the minutes that Beverly ( who averaged 11/5/3.5 at Witchita last year) and Joseph gave us in 22-23.

Advertisement
I disagree that rotation isn’t important. Tennessee, UCONN, etc, all have a ton of depth and rotate effectively. Tennessee’s top 8 is easily one of the best in the country, and they play to that strength.

Think we are mitigating the impairment of last year’s team because of how it finished. Being able to play only 5-6 guys is a risk, in every scenario. This year we couldn’t sustain a competitive squad because we simply had 1-2 guys injured at a time, they were always rushed back to the court, and there was no one playable behind them.
We're watching different games then.

UConn isn't winning bc of their 8th guy lol they're winning bc of Clingan, Spencer, Newton, Castle, and Karaban. The guys off the bench are interchangeable pieces

I just disagree.

What stands out about Illinois is not depth. Yes they had better depth than we did. But what stands out is that their top couple of guys are studs and they have decent rotation players after that.

This is true even in the NBA. Yes, Bruce Brown was a key contributor to the Nuggets last year. But they won bc of Jokic. You can find Bruce Browns all over the NBA. You can't win without them, but there are plenty of those types of players. The stars and starters are what matter.

Exactly you need to be able to have an 8 man rotation. Bama showed last night they have been able to go further than 8 deep. Diaboute was their 10th man going into the season but got minutes due to injuries during the year and played pretty well in a sweet 16 game last night. Omier (if he comes back), Pack, Bethea, and Kidd are only halfway to getting us to an 8 man rotation. Swartz and Djobet can't be counted upon to give us the minutes that Beverly ( who averaged 11/5/3.5 at Witchita last year) and Joseph gave us in 22-23.
Diaboute was their 8th man last night.

He played 9 minutes, scored 2 points, grabbed 1 rebound, went 1-3 from the field, and committed 4 fouls. Almost anyone can give you that level of production.

Alabama's performance last night is an argument for star power, not depth.

He had some very good games against the best teams in the Acc. Before you open your yap with that comment, you should look at every game as I just did. Smdh, lazy
i saw several negative reviews and comments, and was underwhelmed, but hope he is a winner addition. Some one thought stats was a way to convince, and I said well, stats can be less than revealing, but show me more. And many did. most nicer than you. some of u guys get off on bashing others in the forum. really sucks ya know?

Advertisement
We did NOT have 4 really good players this season. We had 1.

Pack was a shell of himself during ACC play, Wooga was ineffective after the injury, and Cleveland was a JAG. None of those guys received even a single vote for postseason ACC honors.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical/critical. People on these boards get dogged out for that far too much on the basketball/baseball boards specifically. I won't get mad at posters for being that way within reason.
THIS!! (cant be said enough to those who hunger to come here and launch nasty.)

We're watching different games then.

UConn isn't winning bc of their 8th guy lol they're winning bc of Clingan, Spencer, Newton, Castle, and Karaban. The guys off the bench are interchangeable pieces
UCONN isn't losing because of their 6th, 7th and 8th men. There's a big difference between having a Harlond Beverly on the floor (a guy who is a starter at a Wichita State) and a Djobet or Ronbinson on the floor.

Advertisement
UCONN isn't losing because of their 6th, 7th and 8th men. There's a big difference between having a Harlond Beverly on the floor (a guy who is a starter at a Wichita State) and a Djobet or Ronbinson on the floor.
Sure. Those guys are a dime-a-dozen though.

If UConn had our bench instead of theirs this season, they're still a top seed and one of the favorites to win it all.

Pack
Bethea
Transfer 3/Cleveland
Transfer 4/Norchad
Kidd

Swartz is a top 50 player nationally and someone I'd expect to give us 12-15 MPG out of the gate. Djobet should be able give us 15 solid MPG as a sophomore. Both aren't huge asks. Beverly put up those numbers in 31 MPG for a mid-major Wichita State team that went 15-19. He averaged 12 MPG at Miami last year. Bensley was at 20 MPG in '22-23. We continue to recruit transfer guards that I expect to fill those minutes in the aggregate.

Between our starters, Swartz, Djobet, Johnson-Arigu, a transfer guard and perhaps a late prep signee, we can 100% have a solid 8 man rotation. We're also over 7 months away from next season.

Someone citing PER in 2024 and not only not being laughed at but being praised is incredible lol

i saw several negative reviews and comments, and was underwhelmed, but hope he is a winner addition. Some one thought stats was a way to convince, and I said well, stats can be less than revealing, but show me more. And many did. most nicer than you. some of u guys get off on bashing others in the forum. really sucks ya know?
No what sucks is the instant negativity from our fans. Gets real old ya know? Smdh

Advertisement
Back