Transfer C Lynn Kidd signs with Miami

L’s specialty is getting the most out of some absolutely random 5th year senior (Moore, Mcgusty, Waard, Miller)

Were any of those guys expected to be all conference players when they came in or even going into their final year?
Kam was not some random scrub

Advertisement
Neither was Moore. He had great moments his freshman year at Cal, had his coach leave, and then some family stuff that led him to DePaul, but he was always a player.
Sam was probably the only veteran guy that pulled a complete 180 with his play and that didn’t really occur until late in the ‘22 season

Sam was probably the only veteran guy that pulled a complete 180 with his play and that didn’t really occur until late in the ‘22 season
Yeah. And he was a weird one, the glimpses and potential were always there. Pretty sure he was a fairly accomplished international stage guy prior to Miami, the shooting stroke was super clean, coordinated though not overly athletic, and a solid passer for the position. Also deceptive timing as a shot blocker.

Stats are just that... you can have 4 super games versus cupcakes and then bite the bullet versus ACC and you are gonna show me stats? Show me more; but I respect your point.
Just because I'm a stats guy, I'll show a little more and see if it has any sway.

• Lynn Kidd averaged .222 Win Shares per 40 minutes, where .100 is scaled to be average. Meaning he was more than twice the average player in adding wins to his team. He led Virginia Tech by a wide margin.
  • You might say, Win Shares are heavily influenced by efficiency, and the only thing this guy does is around the rim, so it's fuzzy math. His True Shooting Percentage was over .700, which is elite, so that efficiency certainly influenced the numbers.
  • What does he do besides simply dunk the basketball around the rim? Well, his Player Efficiency Rating was 27.6. Where 20.0 is considered great. 10.0 is considered average. Once again, he led Virginia Tech by a wide margin.
  • Yeah, but what about his defense? Kidd led Virginia Tech in his defensive rating (though his rating was not elite, Virginia Tech was not a good defensive club, so he led their team).
  • These data points don't do much for me, what else do you have? His Box Score Plus/Minus was 9.0, which easily led Virginia Tech and is an elite number. This is stating that per game he had a positive impact of 9 points per game for VT in the box score.
  • As a big, he had an assist percentage of 11.1%, meaning of the baskets scored while he was on the floor, he assisted of them. This is an elite number for a big.
  • His turnover percentage of 12.2% is also excellent for a big, especially one who can pass the ball.
  • As a big man, he shot 84.2% from the FT line, which is an elite number for a big man.
  • At 3.5 fouls per 40 minutes, he's not foul prone, which is great news for a big.

Yeah, but he's probably doing all of that against cupcakes.

• .185 Win Shares per 40 Minutes in the ACC, which was excellent this year and happens to be the conference Miami plays in.
  • He was even better about sharing the ball and taking care of the ball in conference games.
Lynn Kidd was fairly easily Virginia Tech's best player this year, no matter what metric you want to choose. He even led them in Total Win Shares, which is based on minutes actually played and not ratios, at 4.3 Win Shares in 768 minutes.

Second was Hunter Cattoor at 4.0 Win Shares and he played 1,094 minutes on the season. In 42% more minutes than Kidd he still couldn't match him in Win Shares.

Norchad Omier led Miami in Win Shares at 4.7 in 948 minutes, so he was a better player than Kidd this year. That said, Kidd had better Win Shares per 40 minutes, better Box Score +/-, better Asst %/Turnover %, and better Player Efficiency numbers. This same statement holds true whether you're looking at conference only or overall seasons.

Lynn Kidd is an absolutely excellent addition to the Canes and makes them far better than they were and hurts Virginia Tech big time.

Advertisement
Just because I'm a stats guy, I'll show a little more and see if it has any sway.

• Lynn Kidd averaged .222 Win Shares per 40 minutes, where .100 is scaled to be average. Meaning he was more than twice the average player in adding wins to his team. He led Virginia Tech by a wide margin.
  • You might say, Win Shares are heavily influenced by efficiency, and the only thing this guy does is around the rim, so it's fuzzy math. His True Shooting Percentage was over .700, which is elite, so that efficiency certainly influenced the numbers.
  • What does he do besides simply dunk the basketball around the rim? Well, his Player Efficiency Rating was 27.6. Where 20.0 is considered great. 10.0 is considered average. Once again, he led Virginia Tech by a wide margin.
  • Yeah, but what about his defense? Kidd led Virginia Tech in his defensive rating (though his rating was not elite, Virginia Tech was not a good defensive club, so he led their team).
  • These data points don't do much for me, what else do you have? His Box Score Plus/Minus was 9.0, which easily led Virginia Tech and is an elite number. This is stating that per game he had a positive impact of 9 points per game for VT in the box score.
  • As a big, he had an assist percentage of 11.1%, meaning of the baskets scored while he was on the floor, he assisted of them. This is an elite number for a big.
  • His turnover percentage of 12.2% is also excellent for a big, especially one who can pass the ball.
  • As a big man, he shot 84.2% from the FT line, which is an elite number for a big man.
  • At 3.5 fouls per 40 minutes, he's not foul prone, which is great news for a big.

• .185 Win Shares per 40 Minutes in the ACC, which was excellent this year and happens to be the conference Miami plays in.
  • He was even better about sharing the ball and taking care of the ball in conference games.
Lynn Kidd was fairly easily Virginia Tech's best player this year, no matter what metric you want to choose. He even led them in Total Win Shares, which is based on minutes actually played and not ratios, at 4.3 Win Shares in 768 minutes.

Second was Hunter Cattoor at 4.0 Win Shares and he played 1,094 minutes on the season. In 42% more minutes than Kidd he still couldn't match him in Win Shares.

Norchad Omier led Miami in Win Shares at 4.7 in 948 minutes, so he was a better player than Kidd this year. That said, Kidd had better Win Shares per 40 minutes, better Box Score +/-, better Asst %/Turnover %, and better Player Efficiency numbers. This same statement holds true whether you're looking at conference only or overall seasons.

Lynn Kidd is an absolutely excellent addition to the Canes and makes them far better than they were and hurts Virginia Tech big time.
This is what separates Lance from casual fans that watch YouTube highlights

Don’t disagree with the lineup versatility. But this guy is top 10ish in most portal rankings, and if the rumors of him getting a substantial NIL deal are true then I’d assume he’s coming to play bigger minutes.
If this is the top portal signing this year, I can see why some might consider it a bit of a disappointment. Even with Pack back, Bethea and the 2 other incoming freshmen we still need at least 4 other rotation type players whether that is some combination of Omier, Cleveland, Wooga, George and portal players or just portal guys, we still need to continue to hit the portal for rotation caliber players. It is still too early to think that Djobet will be able to provide 15 plus minutes a game just yet.

I agree with this entire post but I can also see where a few other posters are coming from. If this kid is getting a significant portion of the NIL money allocated for the team then where are we going to get our #1 option and even our 2 or 3 options. Pack in a perfect world is your 3rd option maybe 2nd option if your 1st or 3rd options are very good. Kidd should probably be our 3rd or 4th option anything more would be asking too much of him. Bethea shouldn't be asked to carry too much of the load as a freshmen.

Kidd is a great supplementary addition for this team but we still have a lot of holes on this team to get back to playing on this weekend a year from now.

I agree with this entire post but I can also see where a few other posters are coming from. If this kid is getting a significant portion of the NIL money allocated for the team then where are we going to get our #1 option and even our 2 or 3 options. Pack in a perfect world is your 3rd option maybe 2nd option if your 1st or 3rd options are very good. Kidd should probably be our 3rd or 4th option anything more would be asking too much of him. Bethea shouldn't be asked to carry too much of the load as a freshmen.

Kidd is a great supplementary addition for this team but we still have a lot of holes on this team to get back to playing on this weekend a year from now.
If our 4 best players are Omier, Kidd, Pack, and Bethea, we are in excellent shape.

Advertisement
If our 4 best players are Omier, Kidd, Pack, and Bethea, we are in excellent shape.
Maybe at those 4 spots we're in pretty darn good shape...but we gotta shake past the Coach L going only 6-7 guys deep in his rotation. We need to be shooting for that 8-10 deep kind of rotation...especially after how thin our bench was got pretty much exposed this year mainly due to injuries and lack of development of certain guys (Watson/Casey/Robinson, namely).

We're gonna need MUCH more from the portal than just Kidd, and we'd better hope Omier returns if we aren't gonna upgrade over him via the portal. Kidd is a great start, but him plus Omier/Pack/Bethea isn't "excellent". Still work to be done.

We would be in very good shape, but there aren't many players out there who can make the impact of Omier in the portal. Those 4 players also will not get us back to playing in the 2nd weekend of the tournament alone unless the freshmen are significant contributors. With those 4 we still need a taller combo guard to who can create and defend. We also need a rotation player at the 3/4. As well as having close to a full roster of 12-13 capable players in order to practice efficiently and in case of turnovers.

Neither was Moore. He had great moments his freshman year at Cal, had his coach leave, and then some family stuff that led him to DePaul, but he was always a player.
We’re gonna try to say Kam Mcgusty and Charlie Moore were big name portal gets? Moore on his 4th school and Mcgusty avgd 8 ppg at oklahoma. Everyone with a brain thought we’d absolutely suck in 2021.

Advertisement
Maybe at those 4 spots we're in pretty darn good shape...but we gotta shake past the Coach L going only 6-7 guys deep in his rotation. We need to be shooting for that 8-10 deep kind of rotation...especially after how thin our bench was got pretty much exposed this year mainly due to injuries and lack of development of certain guys (Watson/Casey/Robinson, namely).

We're gonna need MUCH more from the portal than just Kidd, and we'd better hope Omier returns if we aren't gonna upgrade over him via the portal. Kidd is a great start, but him plus Omier/Pack/Bethea isn't "excellent". Still work to be done.
Your comments on depth are not backed up by CBB's reality. Nobody goes deep into the bench. Even in a 30 point blowout, UConn only had 7 guys play double figure minutes. Bama had 7 guys play 10+. Etc.

Unless you completely missed Lance's post, yes, those 4 guys are excellent.
-Omier was 2nd team all ACC this season, despite getting no help and running out of gas.
-Kidd performed like an all ACC guy last season. If he can go from 23 mpg to 28, he's a star-level player
-You admitted yourself Pack is a good 3rd option
-Bethea is a top 5-10 player nationally. We can count on him to be a 4th option on a good team.

We would be in very good shape, but there aren't many players out there who can make the impact of Omier in the portal. Those 4 players also will not get us back to playing in the 2nd weekend of the tournament alone unless the freshmen are significant contributors. With those 4 we still need a taller combo guard to who can create and defend. We also need a rotation player at the 3/4. As well as having close to a full roster of 12-13 capable players in order to practice efficiently and in case of turnovers.
Am I watching the same CBB that you guys are?

The only good teams that I've seen in recent years with waves of quality bench players are FSU and Samford. Basketball is a top-heavy sport, especially in college.

If your top 4 are good, you're good. We can piece it together after that. Heck, we made the E8 in 2022 with Sam as our 5th best player and Anthony Walker as our 6th best lol.

Obviously we need to add more to the roster. But if Omier comes back, that's already the foundation of a tournament team.

Advertisement
We made the Final 4 with an 8 man rotation and next to no size. Please, just stop.

We made the Final 4 with an 8 man rotation and next to no size. Please, just stop.
LOL.

I just don't understand how someone can watch CBB and say that depth is that important. Obviously it'd be great to have more depth, but the best teams win bc of their stars. Teams that play like FSU are rare (and don't usually win big either)

We’re gonna try to say Kam Mcgusty and Charlie Moore were big name portal gets? Moore on his 4th school and Mcgusty avgd 8 ppg at oklahoma. Everyone with a brain thought we’d absolutely suck in 2021.
McGusty was a top 50 player coming out of HS. He averaged nearly 11 points as a Fresh at Oklahoma, and averaged 8 in only 18.5 minutes a game as a sophomore at OK. He was an intriguing prospect coming in. I remember most people having hope that McGusty would become a top player in the ACC. Most people in 2021 were shell shocked from the prior years with our team constantly injured and with absolutely no depth because Coach L continued to leave roster spots open.

LOL.

I just don't understand how someone can watch CBB and say that depth is that important. Obviously it'd be great to have more depth, but the best teams win bc of their stars. Teams that play like FSU are rare (and don't usually win big either)
UConn is literally demolishing college basketball right now. They have 8 players averaging over 10 min per game. Of those 8, 5 are playing over 20 min. If that's not proof of concept for tighter, top-heavy rotation, I don't know what is.

Advertisement
Back