Transfer C Lynn Kidd signs with Miami

View as article
Advertisement
First off @IndayArtHauz - I was in Blacksburg for the Canes matchup back in January too. Wish I would have gotten to meet you, always respected the Eva Green avi. ✊✊✊

Secondly, when I was at that game in Blacksburg, Kidd played pretty well in limited minutes. Pedulla went off for 33 but Kidd was their next-leading scorer with 16 in 24 minutes. Someone else mentioned he went 8-8 from the field. Whether it was Omier or Nwoko, Kidd pretty much had his way inside when he got the ball on the block, and I think at least 2 of those FG's were dunks off of lobs so he's athletic and can play above the rim.

He's probably not an all-conference performer, but we don't need him to be as long as we get some other good pieces out of the portal, and especially if Omier comes back as a complementary piece to him inside.

Why can't Norchad play the 4 if he returns? He has developed a very nice mid range shot

I have concern Norchad can stay with quick fours in the ACC defensively. Not a knock on him, Norchad is a baller, but just my observation after watching him for two years.

Last edited:
Excuse me for not just seeing 6’10 and jumping for joy. This dude can’t guard the guys Omier can’t. Watch him play. He’s Dewan Hernandez skinny.

“You know that physical power forwards have played with traditional centers for decades right?” No ****, but most physical power forwards aren’t 6’5 on a good day. And modern basketball is completely different than what was done for decades. We just went E8 and F4 in back to back years playing majority 5 out but half this fanbase tuned in for the UConn game and decided we needed to play traditional two big basketball.

We need to have versatility in our lineup. The last 2 year's we have been too one dimensional with our lineups. We haven't had the ability to matchup with bigger guards, with 2 bigs, etc. This is a guy who played 23 minutes a game for VT last year, I doubt he is looking to be the go to guy and big minute guy next year. If Norchad is back he should be able to spell him when he is not on the floor and the 2 of them should be able to find playing time when other teams go big, as well as playing both of them here and there to create size advantages.

Unfortunately, it's popular enough to give me concern there may be better ways to spend our currently limited NIL dollars. But better than Casey and maybe will surprise me, so let's go play.
Casey isn't in this guy's solar system. 13.2/6.5 isn't good enough? He led the ACC in field goal percentage. You assume he was not a NIL value acquisition. Larranaga got he see what this guy could do twice.

Advertisement
I have concern Norchad can stay with quick fours in the ACC defensively. Not a knock on the him, Norchad is a baller, but just my observation after watching him for two years.
Kidd is probably a stretch 4 for us. Especially if Jim wants Norchad to remain playing the 5. Of course I'm assuming Norchad does not declare.

We need to have versatility in our lineup. The last 2 year's we have been too one dimensional with our lineups. We haven't had the ability to matchup with bigger guards, with 2 bigs, etc. This is a guy who played 23 minutes a game for VT last year, I doubt he is looking to be the go to guy and big minute guy next year. If Norchad is back he should be able to spell him when he is not on the floor and the 2 of them should be able to find playing time when other teams go big, as well as playing both of them here and there to create size advantages.
Don’t disagree with the lineup versatility. But this guy is top 10ish in most portal rankings, and if the rumors of him getting a substantial NIL deal are true then I’d assume he’s coming to play bigger minutes.

What I see is a kid (no pun intended) who put up solid scoring numbers & deplorable defensive numbers for his size. Avg. 6 rebounds, including 1 O-rebound & 0.4 blks/game does scream warm & fuzzy.

However, if Norchad comes back, could be a nice complementary piece.

Advertisement
What I see is a kid (no pun intended) who put up solid scoring numbers & deplorable defensive numbers for his size. Avg. 6 rebounds, including 1 O-rebound & 0.4 blks/game does scream warm & fuzzy.

However, if Norchad comes back, could be a nice complementary piece.
I don't believe he is a replacement for Norchad. If Norchad declares, then we are looking for a replacement for him.

I can’t disagree with this more. The paint will be clogged, which will make life more difficult for the both of them. Omier is effective playing in a 5 out system because it helps alleviate his size disadvantage by not crowding his space even more.

I’ve posted enough about this guy in the past 24 hours so I’ll stop being a broken record, but I’m just not excited about this one at all.
Even if the paint is clogged, we will dominate the offensive glass

Advertisement
I probably say "I hope I am wrong" too much here, but the enthusiasm might be tempered a bit by some review suggesting this is a bit of an underwhelming pickup perhaps. Confirmed by some other CIS, the VT reaction earlier this week had a fair amount of commentary such as:
View attachment 285570
So, I am doubtful he will be a "super" starter. Surely better than Casey, and perhaps what Nwoko didn't do (yet) so I am optimistic and welcome him, just not doing cartwheels here.

(So agree no real downside, but we still need a lot lot more from the portal and hopefully have the NIL remaining to achieve that.)
Seems like typical fan copium.

He took a big leap in his 4th year, and I'd expect another step forward in his 5th year.

Honestly there is no reason for Norchad to come back outside of a bumper NIL deal... he has a future in Europe or even as a backup PF in the NBA..

Advertisement
Honestly there is no reason for Norchad to come back outside of a bumper NIL deal... he has a future in Europe or even as a backup PF in the NBA..
I agree and think this move probably tilts him in that direction. There is some redundancy as far as floor spacing playing him and Kidd together.

Now think it makes more sense to try to add a 6’8-type that can rebound but also shoot the 3 and then see if we can convince Cleveland to come back

He isn’t a stretch. He’s a traditional post up big. Athletic enough to be a roll guy, but he won’t space the floor with his jumper.
At 230? I wouldn't have guessed that. But against comparable body types I suppose it makes sense. Don't really have many big body types anymore in today's game.

Good depth piece at worst, really needs to step up on the defensive side though if he’s the one who will be spelling Norchad. He’s got a solid offensive game.

Advertisement
Back