Tracy vs FSU

and the Defense against Winston

[video=youtube;eUEncVYY3sI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEncVYY3sI[/video]

Jesus Christmas.

Guys open all over the field.
Linebackers staring at the QB while WR's are standing 5 feet away from them.
Easy throws all over the field.
No pass rush.
AQM lined up at DT and looping around.
Olsen Pierre rushing off the edge.

SMH. That defense was a mess.

Advertisement
I'd like somebody to watch that Winston video and show me our lack of talent. (other than the D-line and that Benjamin/Highsmith jump ball)

I'm seeing guys who are WIDE OPEN. I'm not seeing Miami guys get beat or get out-ran, there's holes all over the defense. It's not like guys are open because we're slow and/or untalented, guys are open because we're simply not covering them. Even our best player (Perryman) was lost.

Actually, the only time we could cover somebody is when we went 'man'. Now, if they were beating us when we were in 'man' then I could see the lack of talent, but they weren't.

I'm seeing flat defenders who are allowing the RB to catch the ball on flare routes while running full speed for an easy 8+ yards. I'm seeing Linebackers covering grass while WR's are standing 5 feet away from them. We rush 3 and drop 8 and still can't cover.

Our zone is an absolute disaster.

Last edited:
I'd like somebody to watch that Winston video and show me our lack of talent. (other than the D-line and that Benjamin/Highsmith jump ball)

I'm seeing guys who are WIDE OPEN. I'm not seeing Miami guys get beat or get out-ran, there's holes all over the defense. It's not like guys are open because we're slow and/or untalented, guys are open because we're simply not covering them. Even our best player (Perryman) was lost.

Actually, the only time we could cover somebody is when we went 'man'. Now, if they were beating us when we were in 'man' then I could see the lack of talent, but they weren't.

I'm seeing flat defenders who are allowing the RB to catch the ball on flare routes while running full speed for an easy 8+ yards. I'm seeing Linebackers covering grass while WR's are standing 5 feet away from them. We rush 3 and drop 8 and still can't cover.

Our zone is an absolute disaster.

Preach

The crazy part of the rematch next year vs fsu there whole freakin offensive line is coming back smh

Our DL should be better and deeper next season.Heurtelu,Wyche,Pierre,Chick,Kamalu,Mccord,AQM and Thomas.Decent 2 deep there with size and speed on the outside.

ok they have the same oline and we will have better dline (could not be worse). That is a plus.

Glosses over lack of DL talent as if it isn't a key ingredient to any successful defense. Lots of guys open, lots of missed plays too.

Advertisement
Glosses over lack of DL talent as if it isn't a key ingredient to any successful defense. Lots of guys open, lots of missed plays too.

Cause the DL talent had nothing to do with guys running wide open through our zone. Majority of the time these WR's weren't open because of a poor pass rush. It wouldn't matter who we had at DL. FSU was throwing the ball to WR's who were shallow and they were turning around for an easy 10 yards. (ya know, the kinda stuff we refuse to do on offense)

The crazy part of the rematch next year vs fsu there whole freakin offensive line is coming back smh

Our DL should be better and deeper next season.Heurtelu,Wyche,Pierre,Chick,Kamalu,Mccord,AQM and Thomas.Decent 2 deep there with size and speed on the outside.

ok they have the same oline and we will have better dline (could not be worse). That is a plus.

Their OL will naturally progress especially since they're all seniors...Unfortunately there's still a talent gap between the two units.

Cause the DL talent had nothing to do with guys running wide open through our zone. Majority of the time these WR's weren't open because of a poor pass rush. It wouldn't matter who we had at DL. FSU was throwing the ball to WR's who were shallow and they were turning around for an easy 10 yards. (ya know, the kinda stuff we refuse to do on offense)

Agree on the offense. With a ****** DL and inferior safety play, there was little room for error with the talent and scheme and we made way too many mistakes to win against that team.

Yes, yes. I know we struggled against everyone else too. Because we sucked.

Their OL will naturally progress especially since they're all seniors...Unfortunately there's still a talent gap between the two units.

This is the best OL FSU has ever fielded.

They are going to embarrass teams every single week.

EDIT: If their defense is top 30 they should repeat even with the 4 team playoff.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is the best OL FSU has ever fielded.

They are going to embarrass teams every single week.

EDIT: If their defense is top 30 they should repeat even with the 4 team playoff.

Preach Brother!!!

We do have a new center this year. Austin Barron. A bit undersized so could be a liability.

UM kept two safeties deep with CBs and LBs bailing at the snap.

FSU kept running underneath routes, screens, and inside Zone run plays and UM never adjusted.

It was like playing my little brother in Madden.

Plan was to keep everything underneath, disguise coverages and force Winston into mistakes which we kind of did and match them offensively.
Lack of playmakers(Green, Highsmith) and youth(AQM) squandered opportunities to make plays that could have kept us in the game. Add the loss of Duke and things got out of control.

Plan was to keep everything underneath, disguise coverages and force Winston into mistakes which we kind of did and match them offensively.
Lack of playmakers(Green, Highsmith) and youth(AQM) squandered opportunities to make plays that could have kept us in the game. Add the loss of Duke and things got out of control.

That's a BS excuse. "Keep everything underneath."

Yeah, so let's an offense march down the field on us at 8 yards-a-pop. LOL

**** out of here with that mess.

Advertisement

how is that an excuse? That was the plan. Whether you agree with it or not is a different story.
They did force Winston into making mistakes and a bunch of 3rd and longs. Plays were there to be made we just didn't make them.

Wildcat, it's a terrible philosophy and most of us here hate it but it's what this coaching staff believes in.We saw it over and over last year .Against UF we kept them out of the end zone all game and then played soft prevent and they scored a td in a few seconds.

Wildcat, it's a terrible philosophy and most of us here hate it but it's what this coaching staff believes in.We saw it over and over last year .Against UF we kept them out of the end zone all game and then played soft prevent and they scored a td in a few seconds.

I don't think that's necessarily their philosophy but more like what they are forced to due given the talent.
Do you think playing press against FSU with the horses they have at WR like Benjamin with Highsmith playing back would have resulted in a better outcome? Especially with a lack of pass rush? It would have been disastrous moreso than what it was.

This year we should expect more aggressive play calling or at least should test the theory.

Advertisement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEncVYY3sI

0:04 - Benjamin hitches up into a bubble in our zone and Gaines is nowhere near him cause he's chasing #82 down the field

0:15 - WR hitches up right next to Perryman but Perryman is starring at the QB. Easy throw for Winston. Perryman covering grass instead of a WR. Benjamin is also wide open at the bottom of the screen caused we blitzed Gaines and left that zone vacant.

0:24 - We blitzed both ILB's and play zone behind it. WR is wide open in the seam but is overthrown.

0:44 - Nice play by Gunter in quarter's coverage. Freeman is just chillin' in the flats for an easy 1st down if Winston sees him.

0:54 - There's Freeman!!!

1:06 - LOL @ 300lb Olsen Pierre rushing off the edge.

1:27 - Again, Perryman covering grass instead of finding his nearest WR and getting on him. Receiver hitches up, easy completion.

That's just the first drive. I'm gonna leave it at that. However, I must talk about my favorite play.

2:36 - We only rush 3. Green has flats and Cornelius has hook/curl. Instead of getting on the WR that's in his hook/curl zone, Cornelius just stands there starring at the QB and covering grass. Meanwhile, the WR hitches up in between Green and Cornelius and we're going to allow a player to catch a ball in his flats for an easy gain. What should've happened is...Cornelius should've found that #1 WR that hitched up in his zone and got on him immediately while Green drove down on the flare route of the RB. If we do that then nobody's open.

But we're just keeping everything in front of us. Right.

how is that an excuse? That was the plan. Whether you agree with it or not is a different story.
They did force Winston into making mistakes and a bunch of 3rd and longs. Plays were there to be made we just didn't make them.

You know what the game plan was?

Or is that what you tell yourself to justify this terrible defense?

Regardless, it's terrible. That's a terrible game plan.

And no, there weren't plays to be made. We allowed Winston to take what he wanted. The only time we made plays is when he got greedy and started chuckin' the ball.

I don't think that's necessarily their philosophy but more like what they are forced to due given the talent.
Do you think playing press against FSU with the horses they have at WR like Benjamin with Highsmith playing back would have resulted in a better outcome? Especially with a lack of pass rush? It would have been disastrous moreso than what it was.

This year we should expect more aggressive play calling or at least should test the theory.

GTFOH with this garbage excuse!!!!!!

"We don't have talent so we're gonna give offenses easy, underneath throws."

WTF does not covering hook routes and flat routes have to do with talent? In that video, guys aren't looking untalented, they're looking lost. Perryman is talented, isn't he? He was lost in that game. He was picked on.

THE FIRST PICK WINSTON THREW WE WERE IN MAN!!!!!

Our weaknesses were at Linebacker and Safety. (certain Safeties) Our CB's are our best players. How the **** would playing press-man make us look any worse? Highsmith, Gaines and Green can't hurt us if we're playing press-man. They're either blitzing, covering a RB or playing over the top. SMH

Pass rush was of little importance because most of Winston's throws only took 2 seconds to execute. They nickel and dimed us to death.

It's got nothing to do with the play-calling. GUYS WERE LOST!

Advertisement
Back