Top Transfer Portal Rankings so far

Haha Year 3 Norvell needed to win right away and he did after hitting the portal. I don’t believe most of them were proven stars. If you come from a fcs or a bad g5 team that’s doesn’t mean anything. Verse came from Albany. I remember we took an All -American fcs OL and he struggled here. Jeremiah Byers started on a bad UTEP. Your point doesn’t stand because the majority of guys weren’t “proven stars.” The majority of their top transfer contributors actually developed in fsu program.
Those guys were already good players. They were finished products before they ever went to Tallahassee. Just like KJ Osborn, Matt Lee and Quincy Roche weren't developed by Miami coaches. Those guys could play. Then didn't transfer to get "developed". What P5 team would take developmental projects from lower division schools?

Advertisement
Mario's HS recruiting vs Mario's transfer portal acquisitions

King Yes GIF
Hungry Food GIF
Do Mario coaching now

What’s UGA , Osu , Bama , Michigan , , Washington and Texas ranked in these all important portal rankings ?
Since portal rankings became a thing, no CFP Team has landed a top 10 portal class then went to CFP immediately after. Sark landed #7 class after he went 5-7 his first year. And that's it.

I'd much rather be able to treat the portal like a Michigan does. And still be able to hold onto kids

Advertisement
Since portal rankings became a thing, no CFP Team has landed a top 10 portal class then went to CFP immediately after. Sark landed #7 class after he went 5-7 his first year. And that's it.

I'd much rather be able to treat the portal like a Michigan does. And still be able to hold onto kids
FSU’s class this year is just numbers. Majority of them are not game changers. **** most of them have dome nothing or next to nothing in college. This isn’t Verse, Coleman and Benaon.

Last edited:
What’s UGA , Osu , Bama , Michigan , , Washington and Texas ranked in these all important portal rankings ? Seriously?
We’re not competing with any of those teams so it really doesn’t concern me

We lost to every team we played on that list tho

Portal is fill in starters when you missed on HS evals/development. 90% should be HS guys - especially depth imo. The cracks in between are what you use the sellsword portal guys for. I'd also say almost all of the depth guys should primarily be HS guys in a healthy roster. Sure a couple spots or two you may get portal pieces, but you don't really want depth portal guys imo.

The only position I don't mind the portal being an actual Heavy Emphasis yearly is QB. Wouldn't mind just getting beat kicker in portal yearly either. We have gotten extremely lucky with both borregales'. That ain't gunna happen often for us.

The goal is to follow the model of elite teams.

Texas was 5-7 just 3 seasons ago and has been primarily built on recruiting. They didn't get to the playoff saying, "oh well, we aren't competing with the Bama and UGAs" of the world and start raiding the portal.

Advertisement

But the point is trying to get to that level especially with UGA , Bama , Osu and Michigan. They got there through HS recruiting. One more really good class has Miami in that stratosphere with talent. What we do with that talent is the next question? The blue print is there and it’s not tthe route Fsu is taking. HS recruiting will always be the life blood of your program. Then adding a few free agents to fill holes or misses.

The goal is to follow the model of elite teams.

Texas was 5-7 just 3 seasons ago and has been primarily built on recruiting. They didn't get to the playoff saying, "oh well, we aren't competing with the Bama and UGAs" of the world and start raiding the portal.
Texas has been Top 5 to Top 3 in recruiting with the exception with maybe 1 or 2 years in the past like 5years and has a offensive guru at HC.

Not comparing them to what’s happening here

Texas has been Top 5 to Top 3 in recruiting with the exception with maybe 1 or 2 years in the past like 5years and has a offensive guru at HC.

Not comparing them to what’s happening here
What does that even mean?

Texas has been Top 5 in each of Sarks full recruiting years. They were 15 the transition year.

The goal for ANY Miami coach should be to win a Natty. Why wouldn't you follow the elite team's model on your path to getting there?

Maybe you get there, maybe you don't, but there is zero proof you can get there with portal heavy teams.

But the point is trying to get to that level especially with UGA , Bama , Osu and Michigan. They got there through HS recruiting. One more really good class has Miami in that stratosphere with talent. What we do with that talent is the next question? The blue print is there and it’s not tthe route Fsu is taking. HS recruiting will always be the life blood of your program. Then adding a few free agents to fill holes or misses.
I don’t disagree never said stop focusing on high school recruiting and only hit the portal, however I feel we are poor in the portal and waste too much time and look at too much fluff
And not difference makers

Advertisement
What does that even mean?

Texas has been Top 5 in each of Sarks full recruiting years. They were 15 the transition year.

The goal for ANY Miami coach should be to win a Natty. Why wouldn't you follow the elite team's model on your path to getting there?

Maybe you get there, maybe you don't, but there is zero proof you can get there with portal heavy teams.
Mario’s job is to win he’s not doing that, whatever his model is.

Secondly, we when I said we aren’t competing with them so I’m not concerned about what they are doing, I was speaking for myself. Those teams are in diff leagues right now

Mario’s job is to win he’s not doing that, whatever his model is.

Secondly, we when I said we aren’t competing with them so I’m not concerned about what they are doing, I was speaking for myself. Those teams are in diff leagues right now
Your entitled to your opinion of course, but 2021 Texas wasn't competing with 2023 Texas either.

So how did they get there? Top 10 portal classes or Top 5 recruiting classes?

It's not Mario’s model either. It's the model that works for 95% of championship winning HCs.

Even if Mario fails, the next Miami HC better be able to recruit.

Your entitled to your opinion of course, but 2021 Texas wasn't competing with 2023 Texas either.

It's not Mario’s model either. It's the model that works for 95% of championship winning HCs.

Miami is literally where UT was at the end of Season 2 under Sark, minus 1 win.

Advertisement
FSU’s class this year is just numbers. Majority of them are not game changers. **** most of them have dome nothing or next to nothing in college. This isn’t Verse, Coleman and Benaon.
110% and they don't have the development track record for me to be worried about them finding diamonds in the rough and turning them into legit starters. Nor do I think they have the cultured to pull other teams captains to help solidify their culture moving forward.

And a TRANSFER QB that is one of the best in country. Mario hasn’t landed a qb in portal or hs recruiting worth ****

FCS All-American and averaged like 1 sack per game over 2 years before FSU. He flashed on film too.

Not sure people predicted future 1st rounder but it should have been clear he was going to be an effective pass rusher.

We pursued but we were slow and methodical about it. Let him take 4 visits and couldn't get him here for his 5th visit before he wanted to enroll. He told us multiple times he wanted to enroll by X date at whatever school he chooses and we kept assuming he would visit and enroll closer to the last day to add a course. He didn't want to and shut it down for FSU and enrolled and never showed up for his visit. We move so much slower than everyone else.
Us moving slow. I’m shocked

Advertisement
Back