Top Transfer Portal Rankings so far

Serious question as I don't follow this stuff like I used to and surely not FSU.

You say there's a drop off at every position. Verse, he was from Albany, right? Was he thought of the same as he is now?

Of course there's going to be a drop-off. Only one I know offhand is DJ and while not Travis, he might surprise people if he has the talent to work with. Good rehab for him out West this season.

They do certainly have alot to replace.
Verse was the top DE in the portal when they took him.

Advertisement
Verse was the top DE in the portal when they took him.
We were also very interested in signing him.

A lot of FSU's previous portal guys were proven stars at their old schools before going to Tallahassee. The guys they're signing this year have done a whole lot of nothing. They're mostly guys who were higher rated high school recruits who flopped.

Mario hasn’t had a good transfer class since he’s been here. A few goof pickups, yes, but not a solid class as a whole.

Mario will never be good in the portal cause the portal takes quick decisions because Kidd are looking to quickly find their spots for the most part.

As I said in another post Mario recruits well cause he is good at forming relationships over periods of time.Unless Mario gets someone he trusts to help him make quicker decisions when it comes to personnel he will never be more than average in the poetal

He will pick up a guy here and a guy there like he has done up till now but he will never be proficient at being in the top part of portal teams .

Mario will never be good in the portal cause the portal takes quick decisions because Kidd are looking to quickly find their spots for the most part.

As I said in another post Mario recruits well cause he is good at forming relationships over periods of time.Unless Mario gets someone he trusts to help him make quicker decisions when it comes to personnel he will never be more than average in the poetal

He will pick up a guy here and a guy there like he has done up till now but he will never be proficient at being in the top part of portal teams .
Basically we need to have backchanneled with them prior to them entering

Advertisement
These rankings are mostly meaningless because they're as much about quantity as quality. A real argument can be made that more is less when it comes to the portal.

We needed a center to replace Matt Lee and got a good one. We need a couple DTs and got a good one and a meh one. We needed a QB1 and a QB2 and got only a QB2. We still need a QB1, WR1, Safety2/3, DE2. That's 4 more guys minimum, probably another 1-2 on top of that, to get a complete quality 2-deep. That's all I care about.

And I'm highly doubtful that Mario can pull it off.

FCS All-American and averaged like 1 sack per game over 2 years before FSU. He flashed on film too.

Not sure people predicted future 1st rounder but it should have been clear he was going to be an effective pass rusher.

We pursued but we were slow and methodical about it. Let him take 4 visits and couldn't get him here for his 5th visit before he wanted to enroll. He told us multiple times he wanted to enroll by X date at whatever school he chooses and we kept assuming he would visit and enroll closer to the last day to add a course. He didn't want to and shut it down for FSU and enrolled and never showed up for his visit. We move so much slower than everyone else.

Not surprised. There’s never a sense of urgency with this program. We even move slow on the field. Lol.

If the roster has needs & we're not going to use the Portal to address those needs, that means the HS recruit at that spot has to be a slam dunk.

Does anybody see any slam dunks in positions of need in the HS class that is a day 1 starter?

Advertisement
If the roster has needs & we're not going to use the Portal to address those needs, that means the HS recruit at that spot has to be a slam dunk.

Does anybody see any slam dunks in positions of need in the HS class that is a day 1 starter?
Zaquan Patterson, S

We were also very interested in signing him.

A lot of FSU's previous portal guys were proven stars at their old schools before going to Tallahassee. The guys they're signing this year have done a whole lot of nothing. They're mostly guys who were higher rated high school recruits who flopped.

Travis, Benson, and Johnny Wilson did absolutely nothing at their previous stops. Norvell does a good job coaching up his portal guys too. The portal is now a viable avenue for recruiting. Our fanbase got to stop living in denial. When you need to win now, it’s a good option if you’re good at it.

FCS All-American and averaged like 1 sack per game over 2 years before FSU. He flashed on film too.

Not sure people predicted future 1st rounder but it should have been clear he was going to be an effective pass rusher.

We pursued but we were slow and methodical about it. Let him take 4 visits and couldn't get him here for his 5th visit before he wanted to enroll. He told us multiple times he wanted to enroll by X date at whatever school he chooses and we kept assuming he would visit and enroll closer to the last day to add a course. He didn't want to and shut it down for FSU and enrolled and never showed up for his visit. We move so much slower than everyone else.
Verse had a wild athletic profile tho im almost positive he went to Albany as a WR and Covid killed a season and he came back 250 and switched to DE. That is twich speed and bend/feet u can’t teach. Just had to get hand usage. Was a great take by them. That guy doesn’t come in the portal often

Advertisement

MIKE NORVELL LITERALLY WAS THE FIRST COACH TO CONTACT VERSE.

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BETTER IN THE PORTAL, THEY ARE PRECISE ABOUT IT AND ALWAYS BACK CHANNELLING. ITS HOW THEY HAD D JACKSON IN THE BAG AND DUDE LITERALLY HAD A COUNTDOWN ON HIS TWITTER TO WHEN THE TRANSFER PORTAL DATE AND OUR HIGH PAID COACHES WERE CAUGHT OFF GUARD?. LOL HIS **** HS COACH IS ON STAFF AT FSU AND HIS BEST FRIEND.

Travis, Benson, and Johnny Wilson did absolutely nothing at their previous stops. Norvell does a good job coaching up his portal guys too. The portal is now a viable avenue for recruiting. Our fanbase got to stop living in denial. When you need to win now, it’s a good option if you’re good at it.
Weren’t like half of their 22 starters transfers? Weren’t most of them already established players? My point stands.

Travis was signed by Taggart. He then sucked for three seasons before finally becoming a decent player in his fifth season of college football. But yeah, “when you need to win now”.

Last edited:
MIKE NORVELL LITERALLY WAS THE FIRST COACH TO CONTACT VERSE.

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BETTER IN THE PORTAL, THEY ARE PRECISE ABOUT IT AND ALWAYS BACK CHANNELLING. ITS HOW THEY HAD D JACKSON IN THE BAG AND DUDE LITERALLY HAD A COUNTDOWN ON HIS TWITTER TO WHEN THE TRANSFER PORTAL DATE AND OUR HIGH PAID COACHES WERE CAUGHT OFF GUARD?. LOL HIS **** HS COACH IS ON STAFF AT FSU AND HIS BEST FRIEND.
Does Jackson have a new countdown clock on his Twitter for when he can transfer out of FSU?

Advertisement
These rankings are mostly meaningless because they're as much about quantity as quality. A real argument can be made that more is less when it comes to the portal.

We needed a center to replace Matt Lee and got a good one. We need a couple DTs and got a good one and a meh one. We needed a QB1 and a QB2 and got only a QB2. We still need a QB1, WR1, Safety2/3, DE2. That's 4 more guys minimum, probably another 1-2 on top of that, to get a complete quality 2-deep. That's all I care about.

And I'm highly doubtful that Mario can pull it off.
We’re likely not going to be able to sign that many kids because we’re up against the scholarship limit. It’s possible we add a few more and lose a few more in spring but we can’t just sign 15 portal guys every year unless we start taking smaller high school classes or have another mass exodus of players. I think we’ll probably add another DB or two maybe a WR and a quarterback if the right one becomes available. With the scholarship limits coming back into play after the Covid classes are all leaving, the portal shopping sprees for most teams are likely over. You’re going to have to decide whether you want to sign a big high school class or a bunch of transfers because you can’t do both anymore.

We’re likely not going to be able to sign that many kids because we’re up against the scholarship limit. It’s possible we add a few more and lose a few more in spring but we can’t just sign 15 portal guys every year unless we start taking smaller high school classes or have another mass exodus of players. I think we’ll probably add another DB or two maybe a WR and a quarterback if the right one becomes available. With the scholarship limits coming back into play after the Covid classes are all leaving, the portal shopping sprees for most teams are likely over. You’re going to have to decide whether you want to sign a big high school class or a bunch of transfers because you can’t do both anymore.

There is still dead weight on the roster they can manage out.

Weren’t like half of their 22 starters transfers? Weren’t most of them already established players? My point stands.

Travis was signed by Taggart. He then sucked for three seasons before finally becoming a decent player in his fifth season of college football. But yeah, “when you need to win now”.

Haha Year 3 Norvell needed to win right away and he did after hitting the portal. I don’t believe most of them were proven stars. If you come from a fcs or a bad g5 team that’s doesn’t mean anything. Verse came from Albany. I remember we took an All -American fcs OL and he struggled here. Jeremiah Byers started on a bad UTEP. Your point doesn’t stand because the majority of guys weren’t “proven stars.” The majority of their top transfer contributors actually developed in fsu program.

Mario's HS recruiting vs Mario's transfer portal acquisitions

King Yes GIF
Hungry Food GIF

Advertisement
Back