Top Slept on Prospects from S. Florida 2015 class

Advertisement
Good thread. Proud to say that most of these guys were discussed at length on this board.

Antonio Callaway was my guy. I saw him at the referee's scrimmage when he first moved up from Homestead JV and he dominated. I caught some flak for saying he was just as good as Ridley, but three years later he might be even better.

Lamar Jackson looked like he could be a good college QB in the right offense, but I had no idea he would be this special. Not even close. Petrino has been huge for his development. When I saw him against Central, his team was so overmatched that he basically just ran around and got lit up.

Tavares Martin was clearly a stud but got arrested, which put him off the map. Glad he got it together.

RJ McIntosh was my #2 prospect in the Class of 2015. He was under the radar nationally, but if you saw him play it was easy to see NFL talent. @Coach Macho was also really big on McIntosh.

We were screaming for offers for Rashad Fenton, Sheldrick Redwine and Ronnie Hoggins. They all could play and the numbers made sense (Golden ended up taking Mike Jackson and Terrence Henley instead). Hoggins would have potentially landed Ridley in a package deal. Fenton would have also helped in the kickoff return game.

Khalid McGee and Anthony Jones were both on my underrated prospects list with guys like Ryan Stanley (FAMU) and Austin Maloney (FIU). Probably not Miami guys, but I thought they were better than some of the players we were taking.

DeAndre Baker committed to Georgia early in the process and, as a result, didn't get discussed much on here. He always had very good physical tools.

@Peter Ariz was all over Damon Arnette and Ocie Rose. They were guys who came on the scene late at major programs. Kirk Livingstone was @Kyle Liburd guy.

Kahlil Lewis had the traits of a big-time receiver but didn't really get showcased much in Miramar's offense. Cincy is a good spot for him.

Desmond Cain
and Wyatt Ray were off my radar. I blame my newborn.

So we have fans picking great players and we had coaches making 300k to a few million that can't evaluate worth ****? SF is always loaded, we need coaches that can find the 2-3 star player that's really a four or 5 star player. Let's see how the current staff does.

Another poor evaluation by Golden and Co.

He's regarded as the best DB at the Shrine Bowl right now. He measured in at 6'0" 205lbs with the longest arms of the CB group. He's going to run a sub 4.4 and vertical around 40" at the NFL combine.

We offered Danny Dillard, Nate Dortch, Larry Hope and Ladarius Gunter that year. SMH

Ladarius Gunter the Packers starting CB?

I don't think he belongs in that group.

Advertisement
Calloway and Lamar Jackson

Calloway was the goods...and we got beat out for him..everyone here knew he was legit to on the board.

Jackson was the best qb in s.fla...we should offer that at least...or show interest..

the rest are syste, guys or not crazy misses..Baker from MNW should have been looked at..we didnt even check on him

Definitely agree here about Lamar Jackson. I remember a post [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] made a few years back about the landscape changing in South Florida for QBs and that post Teddy Bridgewater there has been a starting collegiate QB from South Florida on a P5 team every year. Lamar and Quinton Flowers would have been great backups for Brad Kaaya. We would likely enter 17 with one of those two starting depending on who won the job. That's some great competition. Maybe Lamar would have even pushed Brad to the bench?

I like that this staff seems to evaluate and be more involved in the community than Golden. So identifying talent early could lead to guys like Fenton, Baker, and Hoggins not being missed out on. For guys like Henley.

I have no issue with the Gunter but he has never been on Moreau's level. However, my main gripe is with the Florida kids we offered instead.

Good thread. Proud to say that most of these guys were discussed at length on this board.

Antonio Callaway was my guy. I saw him at the referee's scrimmage when he first moved up from Homestead JV and he dominated. I caught some flak for saying he was just as good as Ridley, but three years later he might be even better.

Lamar Jackson looked like he could be a good college QB in the right offense, but I had no idea he would be this special. Not even close. Petrino has been huge for his development. When I saw him against Central, his team was so overmatched that he basically just ran around and got lit up.

Tavares Martin was clearly a stud but got arrested, which put him off the map. Glad he got it together.

RJ McIntosh was my #2 prospect in the Class of 2015. He was under the radar nationally, but if you saw him play it was easy to see NFL talent. @Coach Macho was also really big on McIntosh.

We were screaming for offers for Rashad Fenton, Sheldrick Redwine and Ronnie Hoggins. They all could play and the numbers made sense (Golden ended up taking Mike Jackson and Terrence Henley instead). Hoggins would have potentially landed Ridley in a package deal. Fenton would have also helped in the kickoff return game.

Khalid McGee and Anthony Jones were both on my underrated prospects list with guys like Ryan Stanley (FAMU) and Austin Maloney (FIU). Probably not Miami guys, but I thought they were better than some of the players we were taking.

DeAndre Baker committed to Georgia early in the process and, as a result, didn't get discussed much on here. He always had very good physical tools.

@Peter Ariz was all over Damon Arnette and Ocie Rose. They were guys who came on the scene late at major programs. Kirk Livingstone was @Kyle Liburd guy.

Kahlil Lewis had the traits of a big-time receiver but didn't really get showcased much in Miramar's offense. Cincy is a good spot for him.

Desmond Cain
and Wyatt Ray were off my radar. I blame my newborn.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] what are your top 5 guys in South Florida 3 star and below that you believe will thrive in college in the 17 class. I know many mention Brian Edwards. Would he be a underrated guy for you as well?

He's regarded as the best DB at the Shrine Bowl right now. He measured in at 6'0" 205lbs with the longest arms of the CB group. He's going to run a sub 4.4 and vertical around 40" at the NFL combine.

We offered Danny Dillard, Nate Dortch, Larry Hope and Ladarius Gunter that year. SMH

This is major. Nate Dortch and Larry Hope. There were at least 3 other kids we could have taken over them in that class.

Advertisement
The only player on this list that changes the trajectory of the program is Lamar Jackson and no one knew he would be this good. Not an impressive list of missed prospects.

What are you talking about?

If you recruit most of these missed prospects then you have elite depth which would've changed the trajectory of the program.

And Lamar would've made little difference here. Our OC's would've asked him to run as pro style offense.

This is major. Nate Dortch and Larry Hope. There were at least 3 other kids we could have taken over them in that class.

Embarrassing. Moreau was 6'0" 185lbs with 4.38 speed and was one of Broward's best offensive players his senior year.

He was a "no brainer" offer. Would've been a 3 year starter here. (assuming our staff even had the wherewithal to put him at DB)

I can think of another " GOD " who offered Dortch. Massive fail.

Advertisement
This thread and the '14 one are why I keep harping on staying local as much as possible. Even when folks say there aren't 'UM caliber' players at CB in a goven year, the truth is almost always that there are ... we just don't always identify them well enough.

The only player on this list that changes the trajectory of the program is Lamar Jackson and no one knew he would be this good. Not an impressive list of missed prospects.

Wrong. Calloway would have added another dimension with Richards and Coley. Fenton and Hoggins would have vastly improved our CB play. Jackson would have been our starter next year and the year after, possibly even beaten out Brad when Richt came over. ... Program would have been totally different.

... Actually, Golden might have gotten another pass, so maybe it's all for the best, lol.

Recruiting South FLA skill kids is not rocket science. If they're among the elitist on Friday nights, and they have adequate measurables, they can probably play at Miami.
If he can cover South FLA wide receivers and finishes his Senior year with 12 interceptions, he can probably help Miami.
If he finishes his Senior year with 9 interceptions, 1st team All State and wins Broward County Defensive Player of the Year, he can probably help Miami.
If top-15 programs come down to South FLA and offer him, he can probably help Miami.

The problem was that Golden had the "smartest guy in the room" syndrome and thought that he had some unique technique of evaluating players. This guy would completely ignore kids who dominated down here and had offers from the likes of Clemson, Texas A&M, TCU, Oklahoma, UCLA, etc...and would sign some kid who had offers from schools like Akron just because he looked good running around in shorts at one of his camps. With allllll the colleges that come down here to recruit this fvckin' guy actually thought that kids like Dennis Turner somehow slipped under the radar and landed in his lap. LOL

Advertisement
People fail to realize how much harder academically it is to get into Miami than basically every one of these schools mentioned.

Its not always black and white.

Lamar Jackson was never getting into Miami academically. Point. Blank. Period.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If you recruit most of these missed prospects then you have elite depth which would've changed the trajectory of the program.

And Lamar would've made little difference here. Our OC's would've asked him to run as pro style offense.

I mean, dude, you can comb through every state and pick out non-highly recruited players that a local power 5 program didn't offer and they went on to be "good" players elsewhere. Other than Lamar Jackson, who you stated probably would have had a different career at UM, none of these kids move the needle for our program. In hindsight, yes, I would like to have these guys over some of the guys we recruited who didn't pan out. But the program is where it is because we didnt sign like Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Dalvin Cook, Calvin Ridley, Sony Michel, Travis Rudolph, Matthew Thomas, Joey Bosa, Alex Collins, Eddie Jackson, Tavares McFadden, Quincy Wilson, Kelvin Benjamin, Devonta Freeman.

For all these kids you are calling out now, there are 25 kids who you liked that didn't pan out as well. But at the end of the day, we need to sign the ELITE kids. These other guys, while nice to haves, are not impacting the Win/Loss column for us AT ALL.

I mean, dude, you can comb through every state and pick out non-highly recruited players that a local power 5 program didn't offer and they went on to be "good" players elsewhere. Other than Lamar Jackson, who you stated probably would have had a different career at UM, none of these kids move the needle for our program. In hindsight, yes, I would like to have these guys over some of the guys we recruited who didn't pan out. But the program is where it is because we didnt sign like Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Dalvin Cook, Calvin Ridley, Sony Michel, Travis Rudolph, Matthew Thomas, Joey Bosa, Alex Collins, Eddie Jackson, Tavares McFadden, Quincy Wilson, Kelvin Benjamin, Devonta Freeman.

For all these kids you are calling out now, there are 25 kids who you liked that didn't pan out as well. But at the end of the day, we need to sign the ELITE kids. These other guys, while nice to haves, are not impacting the Win/Loss column for us AT ALL.

Disagree to the fullest extent. These kids would have been the difference. Football is about the little things. These kids would not have gotten eaten alive. They are impact kids. Even coming off the bench. When your bench guys perform like starters the whole team is better.

Dude, the kids I've lobbied for were recruited by other P5 programs. I've never asked us to recruit guys with offers from North Dakota State A&M Tech. That's what got us in trouble to begin with. The problem I have/had with Golden is that he ignored kids from down here that top-25 programs were recruiting in favor of kids who had offers from schools like Akron. I wasn't asking us to recruit those type of kids, I was asking to recruit kids who already had offers from Clemson, UCLA, TCU, Ole Miss, TAMU, etc.

No single kid on this list moves the needle, but a combination of them DOES. We don't have a CB depth problem if we sign Moreau, Hoggins, Nichols, Dowels, etc. Not only do we have great depth but we breed competition as opposed to being top heavy. (Ex: having a kid like Artie Burns competing with kids like Nate Dortch) In hindsight we would've had two 1st round level CB's playing in our defensive backfield.

And there's absolutely zero kids that I liked who didn't pan out. Anybody that knows me on here can tell you that I don't go around handing out praise freely. Everybody I lobbied for when they were coming out of high school are now doing well.
Skai Moore = Freshman All American
Ronnie Hoggins = best CB on his team, would've added great depth
Juwan Dowels = best DB on his team, would've added great depth
Quincy Wilson = possible 1st round pick
Fabian Moreau = best DB on his team, all conference player, possible 1st/2nd round pick

And the signees that I hated from the beginning aren't panning out.
Ryan Mayes (who we offered instead of Hoggins I think, or maybe Dowels) = scrub
Nate Dortch (who we offered instead of Moreau) = scrub/transferred
Danny Dillard (offered instead of Moreau) = scrub/transferred
Nigel Bethel (who we offered instead of Dowels) = scub/plays at EKU and isn't even a full-time starter
Larry Hope (who we offered instead of Moreau) = scrub/transferred

Most of the kids that some of us gripe about ARE STARTERS AT P5 SCHOOLS. If they can start at P5 schools then they could've helped us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back