Top 5 Worse NSD debacles ever for UM

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
Seems like cats really dug the "Prototype Prospects" thread. Shout out to the poster who started it..So I decided to step it up a notch and have people name there top 5 worse NSDs. This is the time to name the 5 prospects we lost out on that made you say A) F this..Im done following recruiting. Im a grown man and i am no longer hanging on the word of an 18 year old kid again.. B) Made you call into work or pretend to be sick from school C) Made you wonder if the recruiting Gods just hated UM..

I love UM history, especially recruiting, so go back as far as you want. Alot of great knowledge on here from guys who have been following the program even longer then me. Here are mine..

5) 1999 - Bryant McFadden - DB - McArther - This started a bad trend of us losing out on top DBs in south Florida. I couldnt believe it. We had ZERO luck with Secondary guys in south florida that whole Decade!! Im gonna throw some names out at you..Troy Saunders, Broderick Nelson, James Colzie, Samari Rolle, Stanford Samuels..We just couldnt buy a DB or Safety and Bryant was the #1 DB in the country that year!! FSU came and stole the cake from under the bakers thumb! SMH.

4) 1997- Marquand Manuel and Clevan Thomas - DB - Miami High - Both of these pricks gave us there word they were coming!! Especially Marquand. He was one of the top safetys in the country and Clevan was icing on the cake. Butch tried his hardest but they both played him in the end and went to UF. Unforgivable. I think Marquand is on the UF staff now or was.

3) 2005 - Bobby Washington - RB - Killian - Me and my father even had it out over this one. I told him I didn't give a **** who was takin the test for him or if he cheated. (If you forgot the story, apparently he was caught up in some scandal with regards to a girl taking the HSCT for him or something. UM told him to take it again and he said F off and went to NC State. If I am telling the story wrong by all means correct me. ) WE NEEDED HIM!!! Everyone in Dade and Broward knew Charlie Jones couldnt hold Bobbys jock. I was really depressed over this one. I just knew he would have been an all american at NC State. He was solid but nothing like I thought. But Bobby RAN dade for 2 years. Top 5 in Dade all time I think.

2) 1990 - Marvin Jones - LB - Miami Northwestern - Think about this for a second..He was the #1 LB in the country, UM was the KING of college of Football, he was from Northwestern, AND WE LOST HIM TO FSU!!!!!! If that had happen in this social age I seriously think he would have gotten death threats. He would have had to shut down his Twitter and FB. That was a very DARK day for UM. He ended up being one of the greats in college history and if he had not gotten hurt early in his NFL career would have been a great one.

1) 1993 - Lamont Green - LB - Southridge - I honestly still hold a grudge against this guy. I dont even want him coaching in South florida. I was shocked we were still able to hang onto Jamal Carter. Lamont was THE MAN. Mr. all everything. The greatest LB Dade had seen at that point. A boss at MLB. His senior he had like 200 tackles. Won every DPOY award that the county, state, and nation had to give. AND he was a 5 star general in Dade. So whereever he went..All the others would follow. AND Don Solindinger was his coach!! Gift wrapped to UM, right? WRONG! This clown committs to FSU AND takes half of dade county with him!!!!!!!!! Go look it up. They ALL followed. (Samari Rolle, Troy Saunders, etc.) I will always love Omar Rolle for not following the crowd and commiting to us that day. Basically he was that years version of Stacey Coley. We were DYING FAST and Omar came and saved the day. Still havent forgotten that day..

There is my list. Sorry for it being so long. I was thinking about this all morning at work. Interested to see some other lists or stories..

Advertisement
Lamont Green was VERY overrated and everyone down here knew it. He wasn't even the best LB on his team, Tron was. That was a gangster team though! Sedrick Irvin, Darren & Troy Davis

**** I've been a miami fan for a while now, but good thing I didn't start following recruiting though till a couple years ago, I would've lost my mind over sme of these probably

having only followed recruiting for about 5 years i love reading about the past like this

especially because i didn't have to sweat it out when it happened

Advertisement
I've been following recruiting for about 15 years but I'd say most of the big disappointments are fairly recent. In no particular order, here are my big disappointments: Matthew Thomas, Patrick Peterson, Teddy B., Bryce Brown, Matt Patchan, Alex Collins, Lamarcus Joyner, and Jacoby Brissett (mostly because we missed on quarterbacks for like 3 straight years).

You are probably right about LGreen, Puncicane. But he still ran Dade in 93'. And it was at a NEED position. Remember our starting LBS were Robert Bass, Antonio Coley, some skinny kid name Ray lewis from Lakeland and Twan Russell/Rohan Marley. Lamont was the ish! Nate Stimson tried to take his place for us but didnt work. We didn't know about Ray at that point so Lamont was like the savior. He was a total bust though.

That Southridge squad was a terror. They beat some team that year so bad in the state game it wasnt even funny. They needed the mercy rule then. Lol. Troy and Darren WENT OFF!!!

Advertisement
You are probably right about LGreen, Puncicane. But he still ran Dade in 93'. And it was at a NEED position. Remember our starting LBS were Robert Bass, Antonio Coley, some skinny kid name Ray lewis from Lakeland and Twan Russell/Rohan Marley. Lamont was the ish! Nate Stimson tried to take his place for us but didnt work. We didn't know about Ray at that point so Lamont was like the savior. He was a total bust though.

That Southridge squad was a terror. They beat some team that year so bad in the state game it wasnt even funny. They needed the mercy rule then. Lol. Troy and Darren WENT OFF!!!

Agree and disagree. My boy Quarnell "Bright Light" Arnold played the slot on that team and even his team mates knew Green was way over rated. I saw him play several times in highschool and the dude never stood out. It's crazy that he was considered around the nation as possibly the top prospect in the entire country, but all of Dade knew he was nothing special

Lamont Green was VERY overrated and everyone down here knew it. He wasn't even the best LB on his team, Tron was. That was a gangster team though! Sedrick Irvin, Darren & Troy Davis

This. Tron and a young LB Named Nevin Campbell who hit like a ton of bricks. Team was loaded. Don't forget about Mark Word at TE who ended up in the League at DE. Studs everywhere.

I've been following recruiting for about 15 years but I'd say most of the big disappointments are fairly recent. In no particular order, here are my big disappointments: Matthew Thomas, Patrick Peterson, Teddy B., Bryce Brown, Matt Patchan, Alex Collins, Lamarcus Joyner, and Jacoby Brissett (mostly because we missed on quarterbacks for like 3 straight years).

I know this doesn't speak for you but I remember the feeling on grassy (Me included) with Bridgewater was kind of like **** you. Everyone was sick of the recruits trying to call the shots and Golden was putting it to an end.

Bryant McFadden was never coming to UM. I remember they tried and tried, but he wanted to leave South Florida. Coaches knew he was never coming.

Advertisement

I know this doesn't speak for you but I remember the feeling on grassy (Me included) with Bridgewater was kind of like **** you. Everyone was sick of the recruits trying to call the shots and Golden was putting it to an end.

Well I remember on Grassy posters spewing hate towards Teddy... I never understood it... I remember posters saying that Driskel and Brisset were better qb prospects and when Golden came along quite a few people the media included wanted him to after Jake Ruddock from STA... That being said, Teddy's decision seemed to make sense... Why go somewhere where the fans don't want you... I wished he would have came but oh well...

The only reason I didn't like what Teddy did was because he sounded real lame. Buddy said something like he didn't want the pressure that Jacory Harris went through and he just wanted to enjoy college and not have to worry about fans hating him if he lost a big game blah blah. LMAO. WHAT??? That whole Jacory Harris thing really messed his head up BIG TIME. If he had not said that I would have been okay with it. ****, I wouldnt trade Stephen Morris for ANYBODY so I dont miss Teddy. And he is not even in the top 20 for worse losses on NSD. Trevor Ford would be ahead of him. LOL.

Most our dumbass fans didn't even want Bridgewater because they thought he was another Jacory Harris. The thing was Jacory wasn't the problem, the awful coaching he got under Shannon, Nix and Whipple was. Jacory had a good Sr year and can only imagine what he could have been if Fisch had been his coach the whole time.

Teddy is a baller and wish he was here. The Louisville decision worked out for him because he got to start some his Fr year and was full time last year. A Morris/Bridgewater battle would have been interesting.

Advertisement
Who's Tron? I don't know these nicknames.

I don't think we ever had a real shot at Marvin Jones, because he was following his older brother Fred to FSU. I don't think that ended on signing day, but before. I don't know for sure, just something I heard years ago.

We had some big signing day disappointments, like Eric Metcalf in the mid-80's and the two or three guys who spurned us to go to Illinois about the same time: Frank Hartley and one or two others. Sterling Palmer was another. I think that was around '88 when FSU cleaned up: Eric Shaw from Pensacola, Paul Moore, Sterling Palmer, Kenny Felder, I think and some others. We managed to keep Rudy Barber at home and Randall Hill. I think they were all in the same class.

In most cases, we didn't really lose that much. Lamont Green was very average at FSU.

EDIT: The name of another player we lost to Illinois in about '87 was Mel Agee, a DE. Hartley was a TE. I keep thinking we might have been recruiting a DT, Moe Gardner, but I'm not sure now. I know we lost Hartley and Agee near the end and I think it was Bob Karmelowicz, later a UM assistant, who was responsible for signing them. I'm not so sure the recruitment was clean, either. I heard stories years ago.

I think Hartley and Agee were big disappointments for the staff. I think everyone though Hubbard Alexander had them wrapped up.

Last edited:
Debacle #1 has to be Patrick Johnson/Peterson

the kid was a sure fire, cant miss 5star beast and wanted to come here come signing day, but Randy's pride got in the way.

Debacle #1 has to be Patrick Johnson/Peterson

the kid was a sure fire, cant miss 5star beast and wanted to come here come signing day, but Randy's pride got in the way.

i thought L$U duffle bags got in the way

they did initially

His pops took him on a tour to get a bidding war going and LSU seem to put together the strongest bid, but on signing day, word is the kid wanted to follow his heart and sign with the U but our brilliant coach Shannon pulled his offer because he was ****ed he decommited the first time

Advertisement
Back