Top 10 Coaches Heading into the Season

The big part of the equation though is recruiting and talent evaluations. It’s what set Butch apart from others cause otherwise he was an average at best game day guy but nobody says he was just an average coach.

Good lord, never bring up Butch to make any point, you’re not going to get rational conversation using him as an example - just porsters yelling at each other.

Advertisement
Good lord, never bring up Butch to make any point, you’re not going to get rational conversation using him as an example - just porsters yelling at each other.
Fair enough but my point stands. Jimbo has warts and they are rightfully being focused on but so does everyone else outside about 4 coaches and even then, I’ve heard people trash Day and Lincoln as overrated. When you look at overall resumes(trophies, wins, recruiting and taken evals), cuck and piece of **** or not, no way he is outside the top 10 and should be top 5.

@grover he's not top 5. I sure hope to put him there some day, but not yet.

I won't rank (outside Saban) coaches but rather group them. Tell me where I'm wrong:

The undisputed best coach in CFB
1. Saban

Consistently puts teams in CFB playoff within last 3-5 years
Dabo
Kirby
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day

Sustained, demonstrated success over many years; flirting with CFB playoffs on a regular basis
Jimbo
Harbaugh
Brian Kelly
Fickell

Proven, competent head coaches but unlikely to regularly compete for playoffs due to school/locale
Whittingham
Mike Gundy

That's 11 coaches right there. I got Mario in the next tier.

Solid, competent head coaches but some questions (character, lack of proven, sustained history, etc.)
Cristobal
Lane
Freeze
Aranda
Mark Stoops?

I think it's safe to say Mario is likely a top 15-20 guy with room to jump. I'm not sure where you'd put guys like Paul Chryst, Jamey Chadwell, Bill Clark, James Franklin(?) in comparison to Mario.

I'd def rather have Mario than Harbaugh or Kelly. I see the rationale behind your order, but if we were drafting HC's to run a program, I'd have Mario in the 6-10 range. At Miami, in the top 4.

Advertisement
@grover he's not top 5. I sure hope to put him there some day, but not yet.

I won't rank (outside Saban) coaches but rather group them. Tell me where I'm wrong:

The undisputed best coach in CFB
1. Saban

Consistently puts teams in CFB playoff within last 3-5 years
Dabo
Kirby
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day

Sustained, demonstrated success over many years; flirting with CFB playoffs on a regular basis
Jimbo
Harbaugh
Brian Kelly
Fickell

Proven, competent head coaches but unlikely to regularly compete for playoffs due to school/locale
Whittingham
Mike Gundy

That's 11 coaches right there. I got Mario in the next tier.

Solid, competent head coaches but some questions (character, lack of proven, sustained history, etc.)
Cristobal
Lane
Freeze
Aranda
Mark Stoops?

I think it's safe to say Mario is likely a top 15-20 guy with room to jump. I'm not sure where you'd put guys like Paul Chryst, Jamey Chadwell, Bill Clark, James Franklin(?) in comparison to Mario.

I wrote a whole treatise on why Mario was at or just below the #4/#5 position, then deleted it all. It's all subjective. I like most of the top names you list. See a lot to like more about Mario than most of the rest. Agree to disagree.

I'd def rather have Mario than Harbaugh or Kelly. I see the rationale behind your order, but if we were drafting HC's to run a program, I'd have Mario in the 6-10 range. At Miami, in the top 4.
Mario was definitely top 4 if not the top choice for us but the primary reason for that is he has the patience and passion to take on this job. A job that not many wanted outside of Lane who just wanted back to the Blue Martini.

I was too ripped last night to respond. Sorry for the delay. Kirby is above avg. He had a ton of talent on his team vs the field. (Bought and paid for) Jimbo was on the chopping block before Jameis saved his ***. He really hasn't done anything since. Jimbo is also a first class piece of ****. Biggest scumbag in CFB.
Talent acquisition is always the key. Always. Our glory days weren’t built off Xs and Os..most of the ppl on this board called UGA frauds..now they won and it’s “well what did u expect look at the roster” lol..mind u a roster with A walk-on caliber QB. And someway that UGA was the best situational team in the nation. That’s coaching.

I think we get too carried away with the bag ****..does it exist..ofc. It’s always been there. A HC still has to accumulate that talent, manage that roster, make sure every athlete has the tools to succeed. You can tie every winning coach to a roster or great QB. I just don’t get the part of holding that against a coach

Advertisement
Talent acquisition is always the key. Always. Our glory days weren’t built off Xs and Os..most of the ppl on this board called UGA frauds..now they won and it’s “well what did u expect look at the roster” lol..mind u a roster with A walk-on caliber QB. And someway that UGA was the best situational team in the nation. That’s coaching.

I think we get too carried away with the bag ****..does it exist..ofc. It’s always been there. A HC still has to accumulate that talent, manage that roster, make sure every athlete has the tools to succeed. You can tie every winning coach to a roster or great QB. I just don’t get the part of holding that against a coach
Kirby Smart is the best coach in the country! Happy now?

Lol

Perfect example.

What’s the common denominator of these types of coaches?

Average corches with generational talent type quarterbacks under center. I don’t mean to speak for EL, but here are other examples.

Obviously Jumbo/Jameis and Mack/VYoung, since that’s the topic of conversation.

Chizik/Cam Newton is another example. There are others.
I know he didn’t win a chip, but was Colt McCoy a generational talent?

Advertisement
No. Why did you think he was? Nothing about him said generational talent to me. But that’s just my opinion, maybe you think it was better than that.
I never said he was. Mack Brown accomplished quite a bit with him despite him not being a generational QB. Obviously a generational QB gets coaches like him the next step, but still a good coach without.

Seems like many create arguments that leave Saban as the only good coach in CFB

Based on impact:
1) Saban
2) Riley
3) Whittingham
4) Mario
5) Fickell
6) Day
7) Kirby
8) Dabo
9) Kiffin
10) Aranda
Whatever "impact" is, it doesn't warm my old bones. Know what does? The envy and hatred of fans of other teams when they think about how f*king dominant and terrifying my team is. Give me that and you can be in the top 5.

Advertisement
I never said he was. Mack Brown accomplished quite a bit with him despite him not being a generational QB. Obviously a generational QB gets coaches like him the next step, but still a good coach without.

Not a bad coach, if we’re being honest, he’s had a good career. Good, not great. I don’t particularly like him. But I don’t think I have any bias when I say that he’s no great coach. I would say good or above average coach, and a pretty good recruiter.

But when shlt starts to collapse around him, he gets lost in the wash. That’s a bad weakness to have when you’re a leader.

They have created these unreasonable arguments and standards that when applied there are only a a couple good coaches and everyone else is a corch, except of course our guy. Mack Brown was a great coach, HOF cfb coach. He is just old and the game passed him by, but even then if UNC performs this year to the levels of expectations and doesn’t go 6-7, he is 100% top 15. It’s just at this point in his career you don’t expect him to return to yesteryear form.

Advertisement
Back