Too Richt Searel Leaves Streaky Lines

[MENTION=592]UMFarArcher[/MENTION], Yes. DC's look for tendencies in every offense. Good ones go back 3-4 weeks. More thorough DC's go as far back as the whole season and further than that based on the familiarity with the staff of the opponent. They don't just look at the plays run on game film. The detail oriented DC's look for how technically and fundamentally sound an offense is on any given play and then they form a game plan to exploit those weaknesses. It applies to both the running and passing game.

Think of three card monte. The DC may find that a particular OL really don't understand defensive fronts even though that teams go to play may have had success in prior games, so they will play a game called pick the "fool" and put a man in all three areas a particular lineman should be reading pre-snap and then in a split second before the snap back out of it because the lineman is more likely to guess wrong. All the while, the DC saw on film inconsistency when that player attempted to block on a particular play, therefore the DC exploited that weakness by overloading that players mind. That players "talent" was just nullified by his own "football IQ".

This is a sign of confusion within the team and its philosophy. The challenge for a Coach is to break bad habits. You know guys sloppy play, going through the motions, dogging it, loafing, slacking and grab azzing all the little things that good coaches gets on his team and individual players about. So the coach has to find balance in his approach to discipline, so that the player does not become the "yeah coach" "got it coach" "my bad" guy; knowing **** well he's still confused about what he should be doing on a particular play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Players should be well versed in every phase of the game. You can't assume that players out of HS knows all the rules, details and field position strategies like kickoffs. Note: Lewis's mistake cost the team field position to start the game. Result: Momentum changer.

Remember the discussion on Splits on the first page:

Play call success rate were compromised before the snap.

Notice the splits on the first two series of the start of the game. We were in tight splits every time we ran the ball even when we passed you could assume the pass was either a pass to the RB or short pass to the flats. This sets the tone on what to key on the rest of the game.

First Half:

Keys: U didn't really have to pay attention to the formation to know what was coming. Splits gave it away in the first two series.
Pass: Tight splits pass to RB or short pass out to flats. Run: Tight splits
Result: U go 1 for 4 on possessions at the end of first half.

Second Half:

Adjustment: U adjusted now you run both Wide and Tight splits.
Keys: Pass: When you go long you have wide splits target WR and TE. Run: When U in tight splits still run but mix short passes a little more to WR and TE.
Result: U go 2 for 5 on possessions at the end of second half.

Splits Matter!!!

Last edited:
I just watched Brady (Statues) QB throw for almost 1,000 yards in the past two games after his return. Has anyone noticed the splits New England is using in their modified version of the New England extension to the pro set?

Belichik is "killing it" with the little details!!!

When did bellichik start coaching offense?

Splits ain't got sh-t to do with Darling having lazy feet and not being able to kick step or ride a guy around Kayaa all year.

Things like this are exactly what Bud Foster looks for when he game plans for an opponent. I have sat in the office with guys breaking down film and Foster starts with tendencies above all else.

Advertisement
Gogeta4 says, "Splits ain't got sh-t to do with Darling having lazy feet and not being able to kick step or ride a guy around Kayaa all year."

Here is why splits matter with Darling:

Last series 4th qtr winning or tying drive:

Keys: DC picks up on what U are doing on the line. Some of this he saves when he needs a play, short yards, red zone, momentum change, etc..

First and Ten: 1:45 ball on Ur 20 yard line

U go wide splits between the G and T to protect against the rush from outside when you want to throw long. However, you're still tight inside G and C to protect the rush up the middle.

Result: Darling struggles a little with the rush but holds up against the DE long enough for the play to have success.

First and Ten: 1:39 ball on Ur 31 yard line

U go tight splits outside and wide splits inside C and G to allow the RB to run through the line more freely in his route across the middle against the MLB.

This is an obvious passing situation because you are working against the clock and you need 7 points to win or 3 to tie. So the DE steps outside a little more this time for the speed rush against the LT. Darling gets exploited because he has to reach on his second kick step because the pocket is too constricted in this situation. And doesn't allow him to put his hands on the DE to ride him around the QB.

Result: Kayaa getting tomahawked from the backside. Darling, Kayaa, OL and OC all look bad because the splits took the LT out of position to be successful.

End Of Game.

Splits Matter!!!
Pic#1:
MIA vs UNC The Win or Tie.jpg
Pic#2:
MIA vs UNC The Win or Tie3.jpg
Pic#3:
MIA vs UNC The Win or Tie4.jpg
Pic#4:
MIA vs UNC The Win or Tie5.jpg
Pic#5: ****, Not One WR\TE\RB Has Completed Their Route. Mean While, Kayaa Has Two DE's Hot On His ***! And, Fans Are Screaming, "Just Step Up And Throw The Ball!" To Who? So He Steps Up Anyways; Three Times And No One Got Open In Time.... 0.5 Secs Later, KABOOM!!!
MIA vs UNC The Win or Tie6.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff OP. Keep these kinda posts coming.....

Wouldn't it be helpful to keep wide splits if we wanna throw the ball? Why aren't we?

Advertisement
1mg of Epi asked, "Wouldn't it be helpful to keep wide splits if we wanna throw the ball? Why aren't we?"

It comes down to how disciplined your OL is. Can they win consistently blocking one on one. Also, can they still remember what you are trying to accomplish each time you change the splits within the game.

What U are doing with the splits are good. And U did a good job mixing them up most of the second half. However, U need to use more wide splits across the entire line not just in one gap but both sides of the line. And U better start creating a threat with the run when U use wide splits not just when U want to run a play off tackle.

Last edited:
Moro, thanks for the post.

Would be helpful if you include some All-22s or screenshots from our OL. What do you see from our splits? What do you see as issues or areas for improvement?

Lu you asked for it! Now you got it. It's long as ****, but I broke out each analysis to try to ease the pain.

The splits aren't the issue. Kaaya has a pocket. All Kaaya has to do is take a set step up and he'll get plenty of time for that throw.

Splits don't have that much impact on the game other than in regards to the overall scheme you run like the Texas Tech example.

There are multiple components to protections such as the center or qb(depending on coaches preference) calling a slide to either side.

What I would like to see more from Richt is to have his backs chip block before going out on their pattern. A chip would have prevented that sack and fumble.

Advertisement
The splits aren't the issue. Kaaya has a pocket. All Kaaya has to do is take a set step up and he'll get plenty of time for that throw.

Splits don't have that much impact on the game other than in regards to the overall scheme you run like the Texas Tech example.

There are multiple components to protections such as the center or qb(depending on coaches preference) calling a slide to either side.

What I would like to see more from Richt is to have his backs chip block before going out on their pattern. A chip would have prevented that sack and fumble.

I disagree with the first part of your post. I have watched Kaaya try to step up several times to avoid the outside rush only to be swallowed up. He really has nowhere to go.

I just watched Brady (Statues) QB throw for almost 1,000 yards in the past two games after his return. Has anyone noticed the splits New England is using in their modified version of the New England extension to the pro set?

NFL: How did New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick learn offense? A trailer deep in Tennessee holds some clues -- and his tutor.

"Belichick might have become famous in the 1980s for his Super Bowl-winning defenses, but within the New York Giants' offices, he was renowned for spotting plays run by the 49ers and Redskins, tailoring them to New York's personnel and suggesting them to offensive coordinator Ron Erhardt. In his spare time, he put together an offensive playbook, borrowing and tweaking plays from other teams, and inventing his own.

"Philosophically, I knew what I wanted to do if I ever got a chance to be a head coach," he said.

When that chance arrived, he was ready. At various times as the Cleveland Browns' head coach, Belichick called the offensive plays. And that's the side of the ball with which he's been heavily involved in New England.

It's partly due to necessity. Quarterbacks coach **** Rehbein died in 2001, and then-offensive coordinator Charlie Weis almost died due to gastric bypass surgery complications in 2002. But it's mostly because Belichick knows offense. He's met with his quarterbacks privately at least three times a week for nine years. That's why, after Josh McDaniels left New England to coach the Denver Broncos, Tom Brady said, "As long as we have Belichick, I always think that we're going to be just fine."

With assistants constantly leaving the Pats for other teams, Belichick takes it upon himself to sharpen New England's edge. Half of his offensive playbook is different now than when he arrived in 2000. That's why he visits Nick Saban in Alabama once a year to talk defense, then Urban Meyer in Florida to chat offense. Last year, Belichick was eager to learn about the Gators' "empty" pass protections; afterward, he adjusted them to his team.

For instance, in a victory over the Miami Dolphins last season, the Patriots ran the shotgun 80 times, using only five blockers on 19 snaps."

Mico Jones said: "The splits aren't the issue. Kaaya has a pocket. All Kaaya has to do is take a set step up and he'll get plenty of time for that throw."

The first part let's deal with it. If you look at pic #4 and #5 you will see that the QB felt the pressure coming after taking his two step drop. However, exactly like Canez1 so eloquently put it, "Kaaya try's to step up several times to avoid the outside rush only to be swallowed up". I use "tomahawked" because of flashbacks from FSU. I have a CAT scan scheduled this week.

The second part let's deal with that. Mico points out that the overall scheme and the multiple components to protections (includes chipping) can be used to prevent this play from exploding. We partially agree here, however we differ because Ur ignoring techniques, concepts and principles. In the Texas Tech example, Tech uses "wide splits" across the entire line. By doing this you are expanding the entire width of the line leaving the QB with a much wider pocket to step up and slide step. Explained in my reply to Ghostofvince on the first page.

The U's problem on this particular play is the use of one gap wide splits inside between the C and G to help the RB free the line into his route against the LB. However, the U remains in tight splits outside with the G and T. We know this to be technically, principally and conceptually wrong, so therefore, we need to turn our attention to the principle and concepts use of splits. Explained on the first page.

Sure U can design any protection U want but if U are technically, conceptually and principally wrong problems will occur. Your bread and butter play may have had success before against lesser talented teams but they will almost certainly breakdown overtime against as talented, fundamentally and technically sound teams. And therefore, your "schemes" and "protections" will be nullified before the snap. See example, #1 with the DE taking the advantage by stepping out just a little further to exploit the LT with a speed rush. The "angle" gives the DE the advantage in this case and the LT the disadvantage. See "techniques" also on the first page.

Like Tech, you have to be technically, conceptually and principally sound, if you are going to be in "wide splits" when you pass, be wide all the way across the OL. In this case, had U did that the LT would have stood a chance. So this play was over before the snap.

Remember this game is about inches. Most people relate it to down and distance. But it also applies to the shortest route (straight line) to a destination (ball) or certain point (QB).

Notice Two Details:

1) The DE's advantage (angle) is so great that he can literally beat the LT to the "punch" and because the LT has to "reach", his "momentum" and the DE's "punch" takes the LT completely off his feet. See pic#2 .
Result: The LT's "Talent" never came into play.

2) The DE's advantage (angle) is so great that he can "turn the corner" before the LT can "set" his feet, and the WR\TE\RBs can complete their "routes".
Result: Leaving the QB with no where to go with the ball even if he wanted to. See Pics, #2 , #3, #4 and #5 .

Again, on this play the FUSE was LIT before the snap. KABOOM!!!

Oh, **** Yeah; Splits Matter!!!

*Pic#s are referencing my reply above to Gogeta.
**Technically used here refers to "techniques" explained on the first page.
***See Ray Lewis on understanding the power of momentum.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Now you guys are beginning to think beyond the knee-jerk reactions of scrapping plays, QB's, RB, OL, WR, TE, OLC and OC. And U are beginning to look at the details a little more. Your hiding but oh, I see and here you out there on the radio, blogs, tv and separate threads!!! Oh, I C U mofos, LOL!

It's all good. The purpose is to get the message through to the right people; OLC and OC.

I'm loving U students for taking my class.

NOTE: Splits and Techniques is a "hard read" because of all the little details. But the same difficulty that you experienced with a short version is ten times that when U decide that U want to make a living in this business. Being "tedious" and not "lazy" is what allows good coaches to have long careers. And bad coaches will constantly face revolving doors and then eventually they are done.

More educated fans will force the entire institution to choose one or the other; "tediousness" or "laziness" early on. Then Ur expected time of resolution (ETR) will mean something. The coaches will either "improve" or continue to "decline". Whatever the result, U will have something to measure expected turnaround times against, such as, the coaches ability to problem solve and troubleshoot root causes. The proof will then be evident and Ur request for changes will be based on the "evidence" not on an assumption or desperate gamble. Doing it this way shows that Ur more logical this time around.

Last edited:
I honestly think Searels is the worst hire Richt has made.

Kehoes techniques were clearly better as our lineman have regressed, imo.

Belichick is inclusive in all parts of his team.

1mg of Epi asked, "Wouldn't it be helpful to keep wide splits if we wanna throw the ball? Why aren't we?"

It comes down to how disciplined your OL is. Can they win consistently blocking one on one. Also, can they still remember what you are trying to accomplish each time you change the splits within the game.

What U are doing with the splits are good. And U did a good job mixing them up most of the second half. However, U need to use more wide splits across the entire line not just in one gap but both sides of the line. And U better start creating a threat with the run when U use wide splits not just when U want to run a play off tackle.

Got it. Thanks for the good info.

Advertisement
Back