Tonight's (02/24) ACC basketball Games

Eyedoctor2

Redshirt Freshman
schedule.jpg

Tonight's games may end up very important for the ACC race and for us in particular.

If Louisville wins tonight they are very much in the running for the ACC regular season title. On the other hand if they lose, they are pretty much eliminated. It would be best for us if that extra motivation is missing on Saturday.

NC State beating NC at home is not unthinkable. An NC loss coupled with a later loss against either Duke or Virginia opens the door for us.

But of course all of this assumes we take care of business ourselves.

No harm in dreaming....

Last edited:
Advertisement
No dice. NC and Louisville both win. Saturday's game against Louisville is going to be a dogfight.

Louisville game is the least important of the three remaining. If Louisville wins out and we go 2-1 we get the 2 seed. Louisville still plays UVA which if Louisville wins that puts us back in front of UVA. We play ND a win there puts us a game up on ND and we have the head to head tie breaker with Duke. As long as we don't fall to the 4 seed and get UNC early again being the 2 or 3 doesn't matter much. Ideally Duke is the 4 seed and has to play UNC.

Louisville game is the least important of the three remaining. If Louisville wins out and we go 2-1 we get the 2 seed. Louisville still plays UVA which if Louisville wins that puts us back in front of UVA. We play ND a win there puts us a game up on ND and we have the head to head tie breaker with Duke. As long as we don't fall to the 4 seed and get UNC early again being the 2 or 3 doesn't matter much. Ideally Duke is the 4 seed and has to play UNC.

Can UL play in the ACC tourney?

no

Advertisement

With the way we've played at home vs. the road, I'd argue it's the most important. We're likely to struggle on the road, regardless of who we play, so it would be nice to get the W vs. Louisville in case we drop 2 (or even 1) on the road next week.

No. They're banned from all post season games. Once their last game @ Virginia on March 5th is over, so is their season.

Agree completely with Notsince1985. Would be very happy to beat ND, but am very skeptical of doing so. Losing to Louisville and ND makes a top four finish in ACC (with its two byes in the tournament) doubtful.

Louisville has only the regular season title to play for and it is in their sights if they win out. Remember they beat NC so they own that tiebreaker. It is going to be a tough game Saturday.

Agree completely with Notsince1985. Would be very happy to beat ND, but am very skeptical of doing so. Losing to Louisville and ND makes a top four finish in ACC (with its two byes in the tournament) doubtful.

Louisville has only the regular season title to play for and it is in their sights if they win out. Remember they beat NC so they own that tiebreaker. It is going to be a tough game Saturday.

I concur as well. We have had a bit of a mini-break since playing on Monday, which we desperately needed at this point in the season. I would much rather start that final push with a home win on Saturday. I think it takes the pressure off the team and hopefully would help them play loose on Wednesday night in South Bend.

The other benefit is that a home win would give us a lot of media attention going into the final regular season week of the season. We would have beaten two highly ranked teams this week and could be making a big push in the rankings -- Iowa and Arizona have already lost to unranked opponents this week, we would leapfrog Louisville, and Maryland has a difficult game on the road at Purdue on Saturday. Depending on the UNC - UVa result on Saturday, things could look very different for us on Monday!

First, we need that win at the BUC on Saturday against a Louisville that will be very motivated.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

With the way we've played at home vs. the road, I'd argue it's the most important. We're likely to struggle on the road, regardless of who we play, so it would be nice to get the W vs. Louisville in case we drop 2 (or even 1) on the road next week.

Hard to not agree with that.

Ordinarily I would say VT is a given, but the way this team runs hot and cold, I can picture a possible lack of focus there. Notre Shame is going to be very tough to win in my opinion.

I think beating Louisville is crucial because of our road woes and what it might do for confidence levels heading into what will be at least a 3 game road stretch, hopefully more, going into the dance.

oh...and also the sad reality that Saturday will be it for BUC this year.

UM

A win against Louisville is a must, for all the stats reasons that the committee uses to seed the March tournament. It's a home game and the team will be rested. The crowd will be loud. A loss on the road to ND is par for the course in the ACC this season so this Louisville game is a must win to rank ahead of UVa.

Advertisement
Back