Todd Hartley on special teams...

A lot of good teams have their best players playing on special teams, people seem to forget that it is important and 1/3rd of the game because of their fear of players getting hurt. . Special teams can win or either lose you games why not use it as a weapon?

Advertisement
A lot of good teams have their best players playing on special teams, people seem to forget that it is important and 1/3rd of the game because of their fear of players getting hurt. . Special teams can win or either lose you games why not use it as a weapon?

I'm glad Golden didn't do this...Duke Johnson would have made him look like the best special teams coach in CFB

I had no issue with Duke not returning kicks as he tended to get hurt a lot, problem was Miami should always have multiple players capable of returning kicks.

Advertisement

Watch the national title this year to witness how that 1/3 of the game will win it for you

It has always been my opinion that you can predict or prevent injuries. The only way is not play. The reason you want great players is to use their skills. Put your best players at all positions, including special teams.

Advertisement
Stacy Coley needs to be returning kicks if this is the attitude we want the team to have

Nope.

I'm all for having your best players play, but Coley literally gets injured every single time he returns a kick and we have plenty of options who are at least as good as he is.

• With UM so limited at cornerback, one of the biggest questions for Mark Richt is whether to expose Corn Elder, his top cornerback and top returner, to the risk of injury on punt or kickoff returns.

Elder averaged 13.8 yards and scored a touchdown on 11 punt returns, and 33.8 yards on five kickoff returns (including the Duke miracle).

“At Georgia, Todd Gurley was their best player; he was returning kickoffs,” said UM special teams coordinator Todd Hartley, who worked for Richt with the Bulldogs. “Our best players are going to play. You can't be worried about [risk of injuries] too much. There are some discussions obviously, but if he's our best punt returner and gives us the best chance to change the game in a punt return, the guy is going to be out there.

“I do have options, which is a great thing. I know about Corn. You look at [freshmen receivers and summer arrivals] Sam Bruce, Ahmmon Richards, Dionte Mullins. These kids are dynamic with the ball in their hands, so why not give them an opportunity to do that? That's what's good about spring and fall camp. You try them out…. You can win or lose a game on special teams quicker than any other phase of the game. In order to be great on special teams, you best players have to play.”

From Miami herald Barry Jackson buzz,

This is a welcomed sight and agressive thinking I like it
I think you answered your own statement of which I agree...

Stacy Coley needs to be returning kicks if this is the attitude we want the team to have

Nope.

I'm all for having your best players play, but Coley literally gets injured every single time he returns a kick and we have plenty of options who are at least as good as he is.
I'm not saying I want Coley back there I'm just saying if that's our rationale he is the best we have IMO.

Advertisement
Brandon Taylor should get a shot at returning kicks too.

Will be the fastest player on the team and maybe the fastest athlete in UM history (possible future Olympian in Track).

Brandon Taylor should get a shot at returning kicks too.

Will be the fastest player on the team and maybe the fastest athlete in UM history (possible future Olympian in Track).

We will see if he goes out. Trank kids miss alot of spring ball. He would make for a dynamic return man

Advertisement
Santana Moss killed running back punts his senior season (his whole career, actually). Let the best returner play, and let's be grateful there appears to be quiet a few options. Oddly, no mention of Berrios. Good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back