To Me, UNC Was a Lesson in Never Quitting

hurricaneman

Recruit
Sports are weird. So many times you think a game is over. It seems completely over. And then, when it finally does end, you realize how much of a chance you actually had. And it is often WAY more of a chance than you thought. The attitude to play non-stop, balls to the wall, for 4 quarters, no matter the adversity, is so incredibly important for a team that wants to win anything. A coach has to instill that.

As out of control as it seemed there towards the end, with all the mistakes that were made, I go back to their FG drive that started with 7:10 left in the 4th. If that one run doesn't get broken, if Miami can get a 3 and out, they likely get the ball back with 5:00 minutes. Miami's next drive was a 57 second drive and a TD. The difference is kicking off down 7, instead of 10, with roughly 4 minutes on the clock and two timeouts, not 1:25. Miami of course made them go 3 and out on their next possession after the kickoff and could have been driving to tie with plenty of time to spare.

After all the moronic mistakes, after all the bad breaks, after everyone thinking there's no chance, it could have been one stop, one player that saved the game. Teams that quit and have the wrong attitude never get that stop and think they're 100 miles away when it's right there in front of them.

Advertisement
Sports are weird. So many times you think a game is over. It seems completely over. And then, when it finally does end, you realize how much of a chance you actually had. And it is often WAY more of a chance than you thought. The attitude to play non-stop, balls to the wall, for 4 quarters, no matter the adversity, is so incredibly important for a team that wants to win anything. A coach has to instill that.

As out of control as it seemed there towards the end, with all the mistakes that were made, I go back to their FG drive that started with 7:10 left in the 4th. If that one run doesn't get broken, if Miami can get a 3 and out, they likely get the ball back with 5:00 minutes. Miami's next drive was a 57 second drive and a TD. The difference is kicking off down 7, instead of 10, with roughly 4 minutes on the clock and two timeouts, not 1:25. Miami of course made them go 3 and out on their next possession after the kickoff and could have been driving to tie with plenty of time to spare.

After all the moronic mistakes, after all the bad breaks, after everyone thinking there's no chance, it could have been one stop, one player that saved the game. Teams that quit and have the wrong attitude never get that stop and think they're 100 miles away when it's right there in front of them.

May I direct u the posted photo here in 2021? This was “players not quitting on Manny/players are playing hard” exactly 2 yrs ago on this date, as we lost a heart breaker 45-42 to UNC on that same field. Apropos OP, I would say.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    927.5 KB · Views: 0
May I direct u the posted photo here in 2021? This was “players not quitting on Manny/players are playing hard” exactly 2 yrs ago on this date, as we lost a heart breaker 45-42 to UNC on that same field. Apropos OP, I would say.
That dude left us with nothing. Worst recruits since pre schnellenberger. Blake James ****ed this school worse than Nevin and shalala.

Advertisement
That dude left us with nothing. Worst recruits since pre schnellenberger. Blake James ****ed this school worse than Nevin and shalala.

Not denying that; I’m referring to the Manny crowd who said obviously the players haven’t quit on him b/c of how hard they played against UNC. Then this photo came out showing how much Manny wants it, & deserves to finish out the season. After going 7-5, his supporters pointed to numerous close losses (UVA & UNC back to weeks) could’ve easily been wins, while the opponents pointed out how the close wins (NCSt, Pitt, GT the following weeks) could’ve easily been losses.

There’s no lesson learned; we could easily say Miami should’ve won the game based upon imposing our will on UNC in the 1st half, while others can easily say The Real UNC team showed up in the 2nd half and completely dominated.

Fanatics are always coming up w/ illogical reasoning to justify or cope w/ losses. A W is a W & a L is a L. Right now, there’s no “technicality” on our record; we’re on a 2 game losing streak, & we need to beat Clemson to avoid yet another 3 game losing streak for the 13th time in the last 18 yrs.

Advertisement
Not denying that; I’m referring to the Manny crowd who said obviously the players haven’t quit on him b/c of how hard they played against UNC. Then this photo came out showing how much Manny wants it, & deserves to finish out the season. After going 7-5, his supporters pointed to numerous close losses (UVA & UNC back to weeks) could’ve easily been wins, while the opponents pointed out how the close wins (NCSt, Pitt, GT the following weeks) could’ve easily been losses.

There’s no lesson learned; we could easily say Miami should’ve won the game based upon imposing our will on UNC in the 1st half, while others can easily say The Real UNC team showed up in the 2nd half and completely dominated.

Fanatics are always coming up w/ illogical reasoning to justify or cope w/ losses. A W is a W & a L is a L. Right now, there’s no “technicality” on our record; we’re on a 2 game losing streak, & we need to beat Clemson to avoid yet another 3 game losing streak for the 13th time in the last 18 yrs.

Nothing I said was meant as an endorsement or indictment on Cristobal and simply pointing out the mindset required to be great.

The team could have won this game. They didn't. I'm not sure it's obvious to many how close we were. I think that's important context to remember, whatever your opinions are on Mario.

Nothing I said was meant as an endorsement or indictment on Cristobal and simply pointing out the mindset required to be great.

The team could have won this game. They didn't. I'm not sure it's obvious to many how close we were. I think that's important context to remember, whatever your opinions are on Mario.

Nor did I say u were doing either vs. highlighting 2 yrs ago today the same chit was said. I’m simply pointing out that what u posted doesn’t necessarily equate to what u mentioned as a lesson.

Furthermore, if imma keep it 💯, no the game wasn’t close. The refs gave us **** near every favorable call that either took away a huge UNC gain or stopped a promising drive. In fact, if not for those two meaningless TDs that UNC gave up after taking their foot off the gas when it became apparent the game was over, they would’ve throttled us 27-0 in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nor did I say u were doing either vs. highlighting 2 yrs ago today the same chit was said. I’m simply pointing out that what u posted doesn’t necessarily equate to what u mentioned as a lesson.

Furthermore, if imma keep it 💯, no the game wasn’t close. The refs gave us **** near every favorable call that either took away a huge UNC gain or stopped a promising drive. In fact, if not for those two meaningless TDs that UNC gave up after taking their foot off the gas when it became apparent the game was over, they would’ve throttled us 27-0 in the 2nd half.
We will never see calls like that again in our favor.

Advertisement

you cannot be minus 8 in the ACC in two games and win. i dont care if it is virginia you are playing. none of that is coaching. if tyler in year 3 cant read a zone no one is fixing it. the reality is we should be 5-1 not 4-2. it wont make a difference either way though. when the dust settles we will see if we are a decent team or just another 7-5 team.

you cannot be minus 8 in the ACC in two games and win. i dont care if it is virginia you are playing. none of that is coaching. if tyler in year 3 cant read a zone no one is fixing it. the reality is we should be 5-1 not 4-2. it wont make a difference either way though. when the dust settles we will see if we are a decent team or just another 7-5 team.
If we’re 5-1 right now you’re not having this meltdown

Advertisement
Back