TNM: Manny is FINALLY Getting Miami Caught Up

gambino97

Recruit
After reading this SI article by Andy Staples, I think the vision of what Manny envisions as " The New Miami" is beginning to come into clearer view. While teams like Bama, Texas, Ohio State, have always had the budget (and support) to carry top Quality Assistants, Manny has obviously convinced the powers that be that in order for UM to become relevant again & compete nationally is to Catch UP with the times and use the current football landscape to Miami's advantage.

When Miami took off under Schnelly,Jimmy, Dennis & Butch, those guys focused on finding smaller, faster players and utilized speed to our advantage. Soon, CFB realized South Florida breeds those athletes a dime a dozen, and soon every major program was littered with a SoFla ace recruiter.

I think this passage really speaks to the shift in philosophy for Miami:

“ Player personnel director Matt Doherty stayed glued to the portal…. Any time he saw a player the Hurricanes might want to pursue, he contacted the relevant position coach and coordinator….. Meanwhile, Doherty tells assistants to keep everything they learn about high school recruits in case those players wind up in the portal in a few years. He said scouting the portal reminds him of the NFL’s pro scouting departments, which evaluate current players for potential trades and free agent signings…..” I want to make sure that everything a coach says as far as assessment and evaluation of a player is documented and kept on record so we can go back to that,” Doherty says.

Reading this, couple with Banda's recent comments about recruiting, speaks to a coach who is not afraid to think outside the box regarding roster management! Build your roster with young talent who wants to be Canes but don't be afraid to fill voids with PROVEN talent. We aren't just taken bodies, but instead going after proven commodities.

I for one and glad to see the BoT fully support Manny's approach by providing the financial support needed to bring in Quality Control coaches who can help identify talent in both recruiting as well as transfers...

Guys like Dallas, DVD (last year), Stroud, Stone and Stroud are being brought in to lead the new approach in identifying talent....

Advertisement
After reading this SI article by Andy Staples, I think the vision of what Manny envisions as " The New Miami" is beginning to come into clearer view. While teams like Bama, Texas, Ohio State, have always had the budget (and support) to carry top Quality Assistants, Manny has obviously convinced the powers that be that in order for UM to become relevant again & compete nationally is to Catch UP with the times and use the current football landscape to Miami's advantage.

When Miami took off under Schnelly,Jimmy, Dennis & Butch, those guys focused on finding smaller, faster players and utilized speed to our advantage. Soon, CFB realized South Florida breeds those athletes a dime a dozen, and soon every major program was littered with a SoFla ace recruiter.

“ Player personnel director Matt Doherty stayed glued to the portal…. Any time he saw a player the Hurricanes might want to pursue, he contacted the relevant position coach and coordinator….. Meanwhile, Doherty tells assistants to keep everything they learn about high school recruits in case those players wind up in the portal in a few years. He said scouting the portal reminds him of the NFL’s pro scouting departments, which evaluate current players for potential trades and free agent signings…..” I want to make sure that everything a coach says as far as assessment and evaluation of a player is documented and kept on record so we can go back to that,” Doherty says.

Reading this, couple with Banda's recent comments about recruiting, speaks to a coach who is not afraid to think outside the box regarding roster management! Build your roster with young talent who wants to be Canes but don't be afraid to fill voids with PROVEN talent. We aren't just taken bodies, but instead going after proven commodities.

I for one and glad to see the BoT fully support Manny's approach by providing the financial support needed to bring in Quality Control coaches who can help identify talent in both recruiting as well as transfers...

Guys like Dallas, DVD (last year), Stroud, Stone and Stroud are being brought in to lead the new approach in identifying talent....

I don't wanna crown Manny before his first game as HC but I'm ecstatic with what he's done since taking over. I was not happy when he was announced as HC but thrilled to be wrong so far.

Not just that. Stone, Stroud, and Parker scream guys to help recruit the North/Northeast connection wise and GA/old south connection because Stroud and Parker come from schools where you have to recruit the entirety of the North/Northeast for players and obviously Stone being from the south (Arkansas) and recruiting GA/Old south with Jess.

Advertisement
If we add another then I would expect a guy with west coast connections. That’s really the only area of the country we don’t have a connect with.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This sht isn't rocket science. There are a lot of dumb coaches out there who are leading programs. The college coaching world isn't filled with geniuses. Guys get stubborn in their ways and won't budge in fear that somebody takes away from their thunder.

Manny has a chance to be successful because he will (hopefully) open up the program to ideas that CMR refused to embrace. Let's see if Manny doesn't mind bringing in guys who may be smarter than him when it comes to X's & O's. I can see Manny being a very good CEO and a guy who can sell the program from that height. He has an opportunity to fix a lot of what has been wrong here the last several years.

CMR is a perfect example of this.

August 31st is gonna be huge for the future of the program. That's when I''ll know if it #TNM or same old Miami. We'll see

That's a lot to put on a first time head coach with a new offensive coordinator, breaking in a new qb, and going up against a team that will more than likely be top 10 with a seasoned coach. A win would do WONDERS for Diaz and the program, but I'm not declaring this a make or break game for Diaz.

Just from a talent indentification standpoint, the additional support staff should pay huge dividends. As @Zbrod95 pointed out, having these guys work their regional connections could greatly improve what we currently do.

I was a Butch Davis guy, but I do love how Manny has jumped in with both feet, took off running, and I've yet to see him take a breather.

I've seen very strong evidence that he's a team leader - I'm talking about among the coaches - just help the coaching team be the best they can be - knowing that if they succeed - the football team succeeds - and Manny succeeds.

Manny is NOT making it all about Manny. Manny is making it all about UM.

Advertisement
They will find more recruits in areas we usually struggle at and this also shows Manny does want to be a CEO in ways Dabo and Saban are where yes they can coach extremely well but they want endless knowledge on the whole staff and will be a CEO proudly because he has a personality that just jumps out at you

The smartest thing he's done IMO is fully embrace who Miami is. Miami was never nor will ever be "traditional" in the traditional sense. The last several hires have tried to fit that square peg in a round hole. Miami is still a brand because of that even after the rough years. Time to run with it and let it grow.

Post more. Better than anything from the Sentinel, Herald, or Post. Thank you.

Advertisement
I wonder if somehow Manny finally got someone in the Miami admin to realize what kind of profit is available to a school through football. Miami should be a gold mine but doesn't even crack the top 25 most profitable teams. I wonder what Miami could do with 40 million in profits? Win and market, USCw made 47 million in profit, the blueprint is already there for Miami to follow. Isn't the old saying - you gotta spend money to make money?

Forbes: College football's most valuable teams.

Only time will tell how successful Manny will be here. But this seems like the EXACT hire many (myself included) wanted to be brought in.

Yeah, he isn't a "proven" name, but Manny seems to understand, or at least willing to copy, what seems to be a winning foundation. He truly seems like he puts the school/brand first. Seems like he WANTS to be here and make this as good as it can get. I hope it translates on the field. I like the energy (it FEELS different than anytime in the last decade) he's bringing. I'm going to support and watch.

Just feels good to be in what seems to be competent hands. I know it's the new car/honeymoon stage, but we look like and sound like (from all accounts I've read here and on the web) something different. Let's effing get it! Go 'Canes

I wonder if somehow Manny finally got someone in the Miami admin to realize what kind of profit is available to a school through football. Miami should be a gold mine but doesn't even crack the top 25 most profitable teams. I wonder what Miami could do with 40 million in profits? Win and market, USCw made 47 million in profit, the blueprint is already there for Miami to follow. Isn't the old saying - you gotta spend money to make money?

Forbes: College football's most valuable teams.
Very solid post. Win at all cost and your ROI will start to double, then triple and so on. Even if that means looking past little things like failed weed tests and farting in class.

lets be honest richt is one got the powers that b to see that one Miami needed bigger support staff, he also was one showed them needed to put money into upgrading facilities and pay coaches power 5 money. Those things pre richt weren't happening. he got us the ipf and the dorms and he got Miami to pay coaches the going rate of power 5 school. Without him I am nto sure would be doing that now. Diaz is expanding on that and I expect Miami to increase its support staff numbers. That said without richt none of this is possible. His on field coaching and his out of touch offense aside he did things off field for Miami that go un appreciated by those on this board

Advertisement
Back