Times have changed, but this I don't understand

Ayeplus

Freshman
There use to be a time when recruits used to really want the spot light early on in their career and they chose a school where they can play and make their mark early. Cases in point: Keith Bryant, Alex Collins. Keith Bryant can come in the summer of 2013, and warrant immediate playing time and would be sure to get at least 50% of the snaps in the DT rotation. Alex Collins has a chance to come in and immediately get at least 50% of the carries from day 1. Who would be his competion for the #2 job? Thats right, NOBODY! Clements is banged up and will just be utility player and Dillard looks like he would be a lifer as a number 3 or 4 RB so far. It's become rather apparent that kids have no more thirst to be "The Man" anymore. They want to go to a school where there is no immediate pressure on them. They actually want to sit down for two years and enjoy the first few years of "the college town experience", not be immediate impact players. Sounds crazy but it's true. Look how many Freshman Golden played last year, do you think that appeals to these class of 2013 kids? Nope. Golden has absolutely no problem playing freshmen, but they don't care about that. Funny thing is, thats exactly what opposing recruiters are telling these kids these days. They sell the opportunity to sit, learn, apply and then play, not to get thrown into the fire. My point is, those days of kids having the heart, will and passion to play early and tear it up are gone, long gone.

Advertisement
Depends on the kid. Matt Thomas for instance has stated he loves the fact that he can come into Miami and play right away.

Anyone who wants a freshman starting on either LOS is crazy. Yes there is the occassional freak athlete (clowney) who can contribute immediately, but these are positions for men, where the games are won and lost. I can tell you that I am more excited about the DTs we currently have on our roster getting a full off-season in UTough than I am about any potential HS kid for next year.

Collins is a completely different story, he can contribute immediately next to Duke. There are more factors than early playing time, but this situation may be too good to pass up for him.

Advertisement
I think some of you may have misunderstood a little bit of what I'm trying to say, so I'll elaborate. I'm not talking about kids coming in to have a starting position as a true freshman. I'm talking about kids coming in and getting a lot of early reps. Having a chance to have early playing time is not a major selling point anymore. For example: think back to the early 2000's when USC and Oklahoma were dominating, even the late 2000's when Florida was dominating, they had kids commiting to their schools knowing **** well the likelyhood was that they wouldn't see the field for at least 2 years. Why? No pressure on the kid. Thats when I knew that landscape of recruiting had changed. Yes, there are kids out there that still love the opportunity to play early, but in general, thats no longer the case.

I think some of you may have misunderstood a little bit of what I'm trying to say, so I'll elaborate. I'm not talking about kids coming in to have a starting position as a true freshman. I'm talking about kids coming in and getting a lot of early reps. Having a chance to have early playing time is not a major selling point anymore. For example: think back to the early 2000's when USC and Oklahoma were dominating, even the late 2000's when Florida was dominating, they had kids commiting to their schools knowing **** well the likelyhood was that they wouldn't see the field for at least 2 years. Why? No pressure on the kid. Thats when I knew that landscape of recruiting had changed. Yes, there are kids out there that still love the opportunity to play early, but in general, thats no longer the case.

Yeah, I think everybody understood what you were trying to say, but just disagreed with you.

One of the biggest selling points in the last class was that kids could come play early. The kids ate it up. So what you're saying is things have changed this dramatically since last year? NO

Advertisement

Nope...

They don't go to those places to sit on the bench for two years. Most of the top athletes are so confident in themselves that they believe they have the talent to play early where ever they go. Completely disagree with your post.

OP is just overreacting to recent news. It's still December and signing day is in Feb. It's a process. Just because these kids aren't all UM the entire time like Duke was doesn't mean what you posted. Let Golden do his job.

Advertisement
Your point suggests that Thomas should go to southwest louisiana state and be the next bobby bouche. go muddogs!

Advertisement
Would you rather have a kid scared of competition?

The fact that Bryant isn't scared of that DLine is one of the few things I've respected about his recruitment.

Would you rather have a kid scared of competition?

The fact that Bryant isn't scared of that DLine is one of the few things I've respected about his recruitment.

I'll put it to you like this. Bryant recognizes that there is a glaring need at DT at Miami. He has his own reasons why he has shied away from his commitment and perhaps his overall recruitment from Miami and truthfully none of us really know what all of those factors are. I could be dead wrong but I'm looking at it this way: Bryant committed and then decommitted from Miami. So with that being said, there is apparently not a sense of "hey, I can come in and help this team right away". Now don't get me wrong, he is at liberty to take his time, but my gut feeling tells me that on the other hand, maybe early playing time just is not a big deal to him at the moment.

There's more parity in college football then there's ever been because of kids wanted to get on the field early.

/thread.

That's just a really ignorant statement because each kid is very different, you have no idea what the coaches are really telling them, and you are using an example of two kids to justify 2000+ also a kid like Collins feels if Adrian Peterson was a freshman at OKLA again and just had his magnificent freshman season that he could start over him day 1

Advertisement
Back