Time to rate the season

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
Before I give my assesment I would like to know who coached up Huell during the off season and who specifically worked with 15 and 21 as well. I hope it was coach L if it was not it affects my opinion greatly

Advertisement
B...............this team lacked serious inside scoring. Second half inside game was like Ghost story.

I predicted we would lose this game.

This program CAN’T win games in the tournament. Anyone who didnt see this coming is walking blind without a cane... no pun intended.

But to answer your question? I rate the season a very mediocre one

Major disappointment! Yes, today's opponent was a tough draw for being an 11-seed, but you have to win these types of games. I went to Tulsa last year only to see us lose to Michigan State by 20 so I didn't bother going to Dallas today as I knew the result wasn't going to be good. Just make the **** free throws!!

I am not happy with the teams performance the second half of the season either and I predicted we would lose our last 2 games as well. I thought somebody did a pretty good job with our big men during the off season ans 15+21 did make some progress during the season. Somebody deserves so praise for that and 11 wins in the ACC is not easy to do. I would rate the season about a 6 out of 10 as I didn't see them going anywhere with the players on the roster this season. Don't forget our pre season starting 5 was ......

The incoming class was largely all we had to hope on

The coaching.

Not happy.
No offensive plan developed to attack the zone
No job for Lonnie he was completely wasted

IMO he lost the team a while back they were completely ignoring him yesterday

Time for change? I think it is

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Brown Jr. was 100% and IV played up to expectations, and this was the NCAAT result, I'd grade the season a D. Without Brown Jr. and IV being a semi-bust, I'll give it a C. No veteran leadership, too much pressure on Lykes due to Brown Jr. injury (injuries actually...his wrist was messed up too), and a wildly inconsistent Huell.

Not that he has a choice now, but L should forget the 1 and done recruiting and bring in Davon Reed level guys that will develop over 4 years.

If Brown Jr. was 100% and IV played up to expectations, and this was the NCAAT result, I'd grade the season a D. Without Brown Jr. and IV being a semi-bust, I'll give it a C. No veteran leadership, too much pressure on Lykes due to Brown Jr. injury (injuries actually...his wrist was messed up too), and a wildly inconsistent Huell.

Not that he has a choice now, but L should forget the 1 and done recruiting and bring in Davon Reed level guys that will develop over 4 years.

Well, guys like Sam, Chris and others are 4 year guys that will develop. It's not an accident that L has done well with senior dominated teams, squads that have a lot of High IQ guys. That said, if you have a chance to get a Lonnie Walker, or a Bruce Brown, you have to do it. The problem was that Lonnie's development was slowed by that knee injury, who knows how he would have performed had he had a full offseason to work, and wasn't limited in early action.

This team lacked a consistently reliable outside shooter that the team has had in the past. Missing a free throw that led to the game winning shot was a just reward for the season's FT performance

Advertisement
C is a fair grade. Relative to our talent, I think we underperformed. Not enough good (consistent) shooters and really just a bunch of players that don't fit together cohesively, especially offensively.

I don't see BB helping much offensively even if healthy because we lacked a plan. Lonnie is a more talented one on one guy and he did nothing. I do like BB defense though and that may have won another game or 2.

I don't see how you can call this season anything other than a disappointment. While some of that may have been out of our control -- namely, (i) the FBI report, if we are truly innocent; (ii) recruiting, to the extent that it is affected by the report; and (iii) the injuries to Bruce and Lonnie -- we simply didn't put a product on the court that matched our expectations.

For a team that was ranked around 14 to start the season, the combination of a middle of the pack finish in the ACC (yes, we tied for third, but we didn't distinguish ourselves from the large group of middling teams in the conference), and one game and done finishes in the ACC and NCAA tourneys, just doesn't measure up.

It is especially disappointing considering the trajectory that we appeared to be on coming in to the season in developing a long-term, successful program. It is going to be a telling off-season to see how Coach L and the players respond, but material changes are clearly necessary to get us back on track.

Advertisement
The last 2 seasons have IMO exposed coach for lack of an offensive plan. The core of the team will be better. 15,20,21,2,3,DJ all should be improved but unless 2 becomes a Shane,Angel PG the results will be the same unless the offense is CHANGED. What we are doing is not working. Walker was a complete waste here because he had no job. We need to hire an offensive assistant coach with a plan or L has to go. I would rather hire the assistant

C is a fair grade. Relative to our talent, I think we underperformed. Not enough good (consistent) shooters and really just a bunch of players that don't fit together cohesively, especially offensively.

id say prolly a C or B- as well. we had talent but none of these guys play as a team. its been that way all year and nothing changed. Lonnie wasn't the 1 and done we expected outside of some highlights and prolly due to the injury that slowed his development. brown getting hurt wasn't ideal (wrist injury prior to the foot) as his season was a wash. they should all come back but brown and walker are likely gone and prolly wont get off the bench in the NBA for a while.

I don't see BB helping much offensively even if healthy because we lacked a plan. Lonnie is a more talented one on one guy and he did nothing. I do like BB defense though and that may have won another game or 2.

Yeah, he's limited bc of his shooting. But you're right that his contributions elsewhere would matter. His defense changes things; he might have been our best rebounder; and he was good for assists per game. I have no doubt we win yesterday's game with him because of those things.

In the end, the season has to be considered a disappointment because of the pre-season hype. Walker didn't turn out to make the same impact as other 5-star frosh (though I know that's not necessarily because of talent, but also potentially bc of injury and bc of coaching); Brown missed the critical part of the season; and our recruiting momentum has absolutely fallen off a cliff. From a pre-season top 15 team that was trending up, to an inconsistent season with an early tourney upset and no recruits to speak of. That can't be anything but disappointing.

That said, Coach L has had more success with transfers (Angel, Sheldon, Kamari, Kadji, Larkin) than high school recruits. Who besides Davon Reed and Jekiri really excelled throughout their college career as a high school recruit? Newton flashed, but ended up being limited. Is there anyone else? We also ended up losing a few recruits that would have been helpful this year, especially Lecompte and Palmer. ****, even Omar Sherman would have been a senior this year, right? That's a big body that could have contributed some minutes. (I'm not even counting the kids who transferred in and didn't pan out because they're idiots... Gilmore and Muhammad). So it basically seems like Coach L has been a live-by-transfers, die-by-transfers since he's been here. Hopefully Wilson is another hit like Angel and Sheldon. Even if he is, I think we probably need one more, preferably a grad transfer that can play right away given our depth issues next year. Not sure if there's anyone worthwhile that'll be interested though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, he's limited bc of his shooting. But you're right that his contributions elsewhere would matter. His defense changes things; he might have been our best rebounder; and he was good for assists per game. I have no doubt we win yesterday's game with him because of those things.

In the end, the season has to be considered a disappointment because of the pre-season hype. Walker didn't turn out to make the same impact as other 5-star frosh (though I know that's not necessarily because of talent, but also potentially bc of injury and bc of coaching); Brown missed the critical part of the season; and our recruiting momentum has absolutely fallen off a cliff. From a pre-season top 15 team that was trending up, to an inconsistent season with an early tourney upset and no recruits to speak of. That can't be anything but disappointing.

idk about upset since most people had us losing in the first round anyways. i thought given the injuries, we were lucky to finish third in the conference (exceeded expectations here even when healthy since we were a fourth place finish). i think we expected more out of us than what was realistic given the lack of outside shooting and lack of a pg. brown would've been the facilitator we needed instead of having newton or lykes dribble it out up top forever.

That said, Coach L has had more success with transfers (Angel, Sheldon, Kamari, Kadji, Larkin) than high school recruits. Who besides Davon Reed and Jekiri really excelled throughout their college career as a high school recruit? Newton flashed, but ended up being limited. Is there anyone else? We also ended up losing a few recruits that would have been helpful this year, especially Lecompte and Palmer. ****, even Omar Sherman would have been a senior this year, right? That's a big body that could have contributed some minutes. (I'm not even counting the kids who transferred in and didn't pan out because they're idiots... Gilmore and Muhammad). So it basically seems like Coach L has been a live-by-transfers, die-by-transfers since he's been here. Hopefully Wilson is another hit like Angel and Sheldon. Even if he is, I think we probably need one more, preferably a grad transfer that can play right away given our depth issues next year. Not sure if there's anyone worthwhile that'll be interested though.
I agree that he has done better with transfers. And technically Larkin was a transfer but he was recruited hard by Coach L and he never played at his other school so it was kind of like Coach L recruited him. And he was awesome and shouldn't have left after just 2 seasons. Similar to Lonnie and Bruce. They aren't ready and neither was Shane. And LeComte, had he stayed here and not went to Baylor... He would have graduated last year so he wouldn't have been on this year's team.

id say prolly a C or B- as well. we had talent but none of these guys play as a team. its been that way all year and nothing changed. Lonnie wasn't the 1 and done we expected outside of some highlights and prolly due to the injury that slowed his development. brown getting hurt wasn't ideal (wrist injury prior to the foot) as his season was a wash. they should all come back but brown and walker are likely gone and prolly wont get off the bench in the NBA for a while.

I agree with both. I think coach took a chance on some higher end prospects which didn't fit his style. In addition, I wish we had a vocal leader on the court. I think it is clear that we look best when we have an older lineup.

B- this team always found a way to make games close, played to the level of their competition, and made terribly untimely turnovers all year, low IQ basketball team, but great push after losing their best player, earning a double bye in the ACC

Advertisement
Back