Time of possesion: The real killer (SIAP)

DontCareJustWin

Freshman
So let me start of by saying that yes I see many problems that this team has. With that being said we are 7-0 so I'm content as long as we keep winning. "If" we lose then I will be more critical of the team. Ok so to the point:

Time of Possession. We are ranked 121 out of 129 with an avg TOP of 26 mins a game. I truly believe that this is killing the team in more than one way. For one it is tiring out our defense because they are constantly on the field. I know we like to nitpick the defense, but they do deserve a lot of credit for the way they play throughout the game (esp after halftime) after being on the field for so long during the game.

Time of Possession inefficiency is caused by many things ( not running the ball well, not converting on third down, defense not getting stops on third down ect..) I don't want to write a novel so I will let you guys discuss if you have input.

Bottom line is I think TOP is our biggest problem right now and if we can stop being the 8th worst team in the country in TOP I think we will see less Cardiac Canes.

GO CANES!!!!!!!

Sorry, Page Not Found | NCAA.com

Last edited:
Advertisement
Most dumb crap. We’re 7-0. Statistics are for losers. Sometimes we score quick. Sometimes our d doesn’t get off the field. A lot of variables. Who cares about TOP as long as we win?

Most dumb crap. We’re 7-0. Statistics are for losers. Sometimes we score quick. Sometimes our d doesn’t get off the field. A lot of variables. Who cares about TOP as long as we win?

I can agree with this, 7-0 is all that matters at the end of the day. But what I was trying to point out is that if we can improve TOP then we should see a bigger point spread at the end of the game instead of these nail biters.

TOP is overrated. Our offense just isn't playing all that well right now. In fact, it was horrible yesterday. That has nothing to do with TOP. Had we hit a couple 80 yard TD passes and a few 50 yard TD runs and had the same TOP it wouldn't have mattered at all. Just score points.

Our D isn't "tired" when we're getting gashed early in games by ****** offenses like UNC.

Advertisement

This and we’re an uptempo team that scores on chunk plays. We have to start scoring TDs off turnovers. We get em and just punt the ball back or kick FGs

You called this the “real killer”. We’re undefeated. What exactly is it killing? If we were losing games this might make sense, but to call it the real killer is dumb. No offense.

TOP is just the result of not being able to convert on 3rd down. We are awful in that regard for many reasons, including an inability to run the ball with any consistency and dropped passes. Predictable play calling is likely a contributing factor as well.

This and we’re an uptempo team that scores on chunk plays. We have to start scoring TDs off turnovers. We get em and just punt the ball back or kick FGs

That's a real killer. We are wasting so many turnovers.

Advertisement
You called this the “real killer”. We’re undefeated. What exactly is it killing? If we were losing games this might make sense, but to call it the real killer is dumb. No offense.

it is killing our chances of winning by more than one score the last couple of games. i think u are taking it the wrong way. i am trying to point out that 3rd down conversion, a decent running game, ect... keeps the offense on the field while keeping our defense off the field, which results in a fresher defense at the end of the game, which in theory should lead to bigger leads at rhe end of the game. again im not to be critical of the team im all positive because we are 7-0. just stating what could help us not have these nail biters every game

TOP is overrated. Our offense just isn't playing all that well right now. In fact, it was horrible yesterday. That has nothing to do with TOP. Had we hit a couple 80 yard TD passes and a few 50 yard TD runs and had the same TOP it wouldn't have mattered at all. Just score points.

Our D isn't "tired" when we're getting gashed early in games by ****** offenses like UNC.

well i hope they are not tired at the beginnig of the game because that would be a bigger issue than TOP. but if you watch the last 2 or 3 post game conferences. the defense players say they were very fatigued by the end of the game. thats why i think TOP could help late in the game i that regard

So let me start of by saying that yes I see many problems that this team has. With that being said we are 7-0 so I'm content as long as we keep winning. "If" we lose then I will be more critical of the team. Ok so to the point:

Time of Possession. We are ranked 121 out of 129 with an avg TOP of 26 mins a game. I truly believe that this is killing the team in more than one way. For one it is tiring out our defense because they are constantly on the field. I know we like to nitpick the defense, but they do deserve a lot of credit for the way they play throughout the game (esp after halftime) after being on the field for so long during the game.

Time of Possession inefficiency is caused by many things ( not running the ball well, not converting on third down, defense not getting stops on third down ect..) I don't want to write a novel so I will let you guys discuss if you have input.

Bottom line is I think TOP is our biggest problem right now and if we can stop being the 8th worst team in the country in TOP I think we will see less Cardiac Canes.

GO CANES!!!!!!!

Sorry, Page Not Found | NCAA.com

This^^^^. We had 10 possessions last week of 4 snaps or less... Thank you defense for keeping us in the game!

Advertisement

well i hope they are not tired at the beginnig of the game because that would be a bigger issue than TOP. but if you watch the last 2 or 3 post game conferences. the defense players say they were very fatigued by the end of the game. thats why i think TOP could help late in the game i that regard

Every player should be fatigued at the end of the game. If you've got any gas left in the tank, then you didn't play hard enough.

Advertisement
Back