Time for Civil Disobedience

D

deleted4920

As background, I am a double a Um grad and have been a ST holder since the Lou Saben days( yes, Lou Saben). As most here, I bleed Orange and Green, have a miserable week when we lose, watch the game on DVR again when we win, etc..I have seen a lot of good coaching, a lot of questionable coaching, and a lot of in between.

I have NEVER seen( better stated, " endured") the level of incompetence that I see with Onofrio( the " D" is purposely omitted). I have seen it for 3 yrs now. I have become nauseous at the start of every game when i realize that , "yes, we are playing that style again" after i deluded myself into thinking that " they cannot possibly stay doing the same insane defense again".

But they do.

This staff, whom I was excited about in the beginning( heck, following the Shannon regime, who WOULDNT we be excited about?), has done what I previously thought impossible- make me apathetic to my Canes. I have been bitter, upset, dismayed, etc in the past. too many times to chronicle. But apathetic? Inconcievable.( And yes, for the Princess Bride crowd, i do know what the word means).

So, I come to these basic conclusions:

1- This staff( inclusive of AG) is what their record says they are and my eyes confirm.
2- The only ones capable of doing something about it( ie, fire them) is Um admin.
3-UM admin cares very little about this once vaunted prpgram becoming average to mediocre.
4- The ONLY thing I can do( I am not a big money booster) is to not attend home games and hope that a noticeable abscence of fans makes the Um admin realzie they are losing fans and have a crisis on their hands.

A real crisis, because my beloved program is now on its 3rd incompetent staff( maybe 2.5, since Coker looks like Belichek by comparison). We are a floundering, mid level ACC team. And we are irrelevant nationally. We have been dumbed down by excuses after excuses, lulling many of us into passive observers. We ahve come, as a program, to accept, ACCEPT, losing to Duke.

Duke.

I therefore am showing the admin the only thing left for me to do, after i foolishly re- upped my season tickets. I COMPLETELY understand those who will disagree, who will attend, and I get the argument, the good argument, that we need to support the players, etc. I have stood on this fence for YEARS now, always opting to support the players. So, no need to make the counter argument.

But, at least for me, I am as appalled and discouraged as I ever have been , and that spans 40 years. As a" citizen" of Cane Nation, I believe that there does come a time when, to effectuate change in the " country" you love, that one must show disagreement, dissfatisfaction, and defiance of, and to, the " laws" of that nation.

The best I can do for the future of my program, sadly, is to refuse to have the UM admin see my seat occupied and my ticket scanned. I do this with heavy heart, with the hope, the desperate hope, that the decision makers see that we are in real crisis.

and i hope to one day again FEEL. Feel happy, feel sad, feel elated, feel despondent after a heart breaking loss, but man, to actually care and be passionate about my beloved team.

Advertisement
As background, I am a double a Um grad and have been a ST holder since the Lou Saben days( yes, Lou Saben). As most here, I bleed Orange and Green, have a miserable week when we lose, watch the game on DVR again when we win, etc..I have seen a lot of good coaching, a lot of questionable coaching, and a lot of in between.

I have NEVER seen( better stated, " endured") the level of incompetence that I see with Onofrio( the " D" is purposely omitted). I have seen it for 3 yrs now. I have become nauseous at the start of every game when i realize that , "yes, we are playing that style again" after i deluded myself into thinking that " they cannot possibly stay doing the same insane defense again".

But they do.

This staff, whom I was excited about in the beginning( heck, following the Shannon regime, who WOULDNT we be excited about?), has done what I previously thought impossible- make me apathetic to my Canes. I have been bitter, upset, dismayed, etc in the past. too many times to chronicle. But apathetic? Inconcievable.( And yes, for the Princess Bride crowd, i do know what the word means).

1- This staff( inclusive of AG) is what their record says they are and my eyes confirm.
2- The only ones capable of doing something about it( ie, fire them) is Um admin.
3-UM admin cares very little about this once vaunted prpgram becoming average to mediocre.
4- The ONLY thing I can do( I am not a big money booster) is to not attend home games and hope that a noticeable abscence of fans makes the Um admin realzie they are losing fans and have a crisis on their hands.

A real crisis, because my beloved program is now on its 3rd incompetent staff( maybe 2.5, since Coker looks like Belichek by comparison). We are a floundering, mid level ACC team. And we are irrelevant nationally. We have been dumbed down by excuses after excuses, lulling many of us into passive observers. We ahve come, as a program, to accept, ACCEPT, losing to Duke.

Duke.

I therefore am showing the admin the only thing left for me to do, after i foolishly re- upped my season tickets. I COMPLETELY understand those who will disagree, who will attend, and I get the argument, the good argument, that we need to support the players, etc. I have stood on this fence for YEARS now, always opting to support the players. So, no need to make the counter argument.

But, at least for me, I am as appalled and discouraged as I ever have been , and that spans 40 years. As a" citizen" of Cane Nation, I believe that there does come a time when, to effectuate change in the " country" you love, that one must show disagreement, dissfatisfaction, and defiance of, and to, the " laws" of that nation.

The best I can do for the future of my program, sadly, is to refuse to have the UM admin see my seat occupied and my ticket scanned. I do this with heavy heart, with the hope, the desperate hope, that the decision makers see that we are in real crisis.

and i hope to one day again FEEL. Feel happy, feel sad, feel elated, feel despondent after a heart breaking loss, but man, to actually care and be passionate about my beloved team.

Agree with this except this part.....we wil never be irrlevant.

Nebraska just set an attendance record vs us this past weekend

UL set an attendance record vs us

If we are so irrelevant then why do teams break their attendance records to come see us??

Sorry but the U will always be relevant

But they do.

Duke.

Agree with this except this part.....we wil never be irrlevant.

Nebraska just set an attendance record vs us this past weekend

UL set an attendance record vs us

If we are so irrelevant then why do teams break their attendance records to come see us??

Sorry but the U will always be relevant

I wish I agreed with you.. sorry to burst your bubble, but we are already referred to as the Candy Canes. Those schools always sell out because they are public and have a huge alumni base. Also, what else is there to do in Lincoln? LOL... I guess it's how you define irrelevant, but definitely mediocre.

Advertisement
I have never rooted for losses...it's not in my nature, but I am getting very close. I certainly will not attend.

Key is to have 10k guerrilla warriors show up in Fire Folden t-shirts screaming obscenities the whole game. Everyone else should stay home.

10k guerrilla warriors in attendance and no one else. All the dopes in their faded cheap Ken Dorsey replica jerseys and chin strap beards need to stay home.

Advertisement
I remember the Lou Saban days like you. If I still lived in South Florida instead of just not going to the games, I would mail back my season tickets one at a time the week before each home game. I would include a note saying that I will return a ticket each home game until something is done and that if nothing gets done they don't need to bother sending me a renewal for next year.

For me, Hurricanes games have become analogous to the obligation one might feel when visiting in-laws or going for your annual physical with your GP. Most of us have never been in that kind of spot before...because at the height of our dominance, or **** even during the gradual demise, we've always felt blessed to have the opportunity to attend 'Canes games, and felt a sense of pride when we won. Saturdays were, or at least had the POTENTIAL...to be fun.

Let me ask you all a question. Answer honestly. When was the last time you felt that sense of pride? Does it not feel like every victory is a relief? Are you tempted to say "Florida, 2013"? In retrospect, that seems pretty foolish, doesn't it? That's what we've come to as a fan base. Victories are followed by an exhale of relief, then shortly thereafter by a creeping sense of "buyer's remorse" because the win on Saturday has only delayed the inevitable in the grand scheme of things. We keep talking about "clouds," but the irony of it is that the biggest cloud we've had to deal with as a fan base is the one that this staff has pulled over our heads. The idea that the reason for our downswing is due to anything other than the staff's incompetence is at this point insulting, or at least it should be. Some people eat it up. NCAA Sanctions didn't make us play a ****** scheme ill-suited for our personnel. It doesn't in and of itself suck out our players' talent like a bad sequel to Space Jam.

Occam's Razor, people. Like the first post said, trust your eyes. Trust what you see. What do you see?

Advertisement
For me, Hurricanes games have become analogous to the obligation one might feel when visiting in-laws or going for your annual physical with your GP. Most of us have never been in that kind of spot before...because at the height of our dominance, or **** even during the gradual demise, we've always felt blessed to have the opportunity to attend 'Canes games, and felt a sense of pride when we won. Saturdays were, or at least had the POTENTIAL...to be fun.

Let me ask you all a question. Answer honestly. When was the last time you felt that sense of pride? Does it not feel like every victory is a relief? Are you tempted to say "Florida, 2013"? In retrospect, that seems pretty foolish, doesn't it? That's what we've come to as a fan base. Victories are followed by an exhale of relief, then shortly thereafter by a creeping sense of "buyer's remorse" because the win on Saturday has only delayed the inevitable in the grand scheme of things. We keep talking about "clouds," but the irony of it is that the biggest cloud we've had to deal with as a fan base is the one that this staff has pulled over our heads. The idea that the reason for our downswing is due to anything other than the staff's incompetence is at this point insulting, or at least it should be. Some people eat it up. NCAA Sanctions didn't make us play a ****ty scheme ill-suited for our personnel. It doesn't in and of itself suck out our players' talent like a bad sequel to Space Jam.

Occam's Razor, people. Like the first post said, trust your eyes. Trust what you see. What do you see?

Yep. Now, when people hear that I'm a Hurricane fan, instead of being met with "dang, I hate those guys" or "you guys are so **** good", it's "man, what's up with your program?" or "you guys have been pretty average lately, huh?" or "think you guys can beat duke" serious kinds of questions.

Advertisement
I appreciate this post.

Call us spoiled, call us prideful, but we (and that's everyone in the nation) can all agree that what we are seeing is not Canes football. Let's go back to the anemic years of 95-98; we lost a ton of games, including some laughers, but we still played w/ anger and passion. We continued the mantra of "ThugU" in regards to how gritty and grimey we played...we just didn't have the talent that we had in the 80's and early 90's nor the depth. We wanted to fire Butch during this time, but each year Butch added something to the team. We literally trended up (no-pun intended). We truly had a "cloud" over us during that time, and yet, the blocks of a powerhouse were being established year in and year out.

Now let's turn our attention to the "Golden Era": Golden would have us believe that the mediocrity we are seeing was due to this "cloud" that was over our program. Golden would have us believe that we are "trending up" (pun intended)by giving us false stats, stats that are fluffed due to playing against bottom tier competition. Golden will have us believe that we are going in the right direction when, in reality, he is now 1-26 against teams that had at least 8 wins the previous years, that we have given up 200+ yrds rushing against our D in his 4 yr tenure an astonishing 15 times....my brothers we haven't given up 200+ rushing yards 15 times over a 2 decade span prior to him! Golden will have you and I believe that his scheme is working when we have been in the bottom 3rd in total defense every single year of his tenure. So the question is why has this man not been fired? My question is who really is running the show at UM? Golden has been nothing but a liar. He lied about Penn St, he lied about the botch recruiting of MT6 and Kirkland. He lied about running more defensive coverage, becoming more aggressive w/ man to man coverage. Golden has shown us time and time again that he knows nothing about real football. His stats speak for themselves while he was a D-Coorinator at UVA and now here. Nothing will change with him. We could field the top recruiting class year in and out and he (F.A.G) will misuse and misapply the talent we've aquired, just like he has now. UM is a top notch university...we offer top tier education and an iconic football program, yet the school is treating it as a Ford Pinto, instead of a Ferrari. We will continue to sink if he does not get off our ship.

Last edited:
1. Make a vid of you burning your game tickets.
2. Explain your predicament in the vid.
3. Post vid on youtube.
4. Post link here.
5. Get drunk.

Advertisement
Back