Tidbits from Richt - Long

"- On recruiting pitch: "I like to talk about us and what we have to offer. I don't like talking about other guys. Though not everyone does that, I'll tell ya. I just want them to understand who we are and want to be part of our family. We have wonderful things to offer. I told the BOT, I don't need the biggest bat in recruiting, but I'd like the standard size please, which is why it's so great to get the new IPF with all the football facilities. Now there is nothing at all we are missing or needing to explain while kids look around going 'this is Miami, where are all the cool things I saw at X or Y?""

+1

Advertisement
Plenty of coaches, maybe even most, generally say the sort of things Richt says about family, looking after kids, recruiting the "right" way, etc. But he sure seems like one that actually means it and follows through (i.e. he has character). I'm willing to bet this puts him in very select company.

Soon.

proxy.php

Advertisement
- On gameday (this one's for @LuCane): I asked him who his eyes and ears in the box where. "Jon is in the room with me coaching quarterbacks with me everyday. He knows what we are looking for and what we are trying to do. He'll yell out a Rat call from a Cover 1 or something pre-snap. He's talking about the coverages pre-snap everytime. Also post-snap. What they did differently or what he sees. I wish I was up there. You can really see everything, so I rely on that. I guess I would miss stuff I see on the field too though. Like sometimes I'll just look over and say 'that boy ain't keeping up with Ahmmon Rich" in a way I couldn't see from the box. And Searles has a grad assistant up there, they are like blood brothers, that's his guy, and he's talking all about the front 7 and the line while Jon's talking coverages."
I don't know enough about Jon to comment. Is he a highly technical coach? I'm a huge proponent of young, film-obsessed coaches. The guys who come up from video coordinators and know what to look for on tape. Is he the type? This is a genuine question. I have no inside information as to the dynamics and I just generally am curious.

College teams put a ton of film out there. They're less likely to make wholesale changes during the season. They do, however, frequently add wrinkles to their foundation. As it relates to small wrinkles, because the above post is saying Richt relies on his eyes on gameday, Jon would have to be ahead of some defensive coordinators in order to give us an advantage or at least neutralize what the opponent is throwing our way. For example, in last year's FSU game, from memory, I remember Trey Marshall being tossed at Njoku in the slot. Njoku was not going to run away from Trey Marshall, a guy with good agility and a ton of speed. On RPO plays, FSU seemingly moved some defenders to inside leverage late, which would take further adjustment between the QB/WR.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pretty much confirms what we knew, Thomas Brown is overpaid

he got the #1 prospect on the board in Lingard and is having the kid do more work on the recruiting trail than any recruit I've ever seen. That's worth his paycheck alone

Great stuff man, thanks.

Still would love the Coach asked about calling his own plays and does he feel like he has a lot of catching up to do...as humble as he is, I know the answer would involve "we are always learning"....but something to the effect of having any doubts after his first year back basically playing OC as well.

UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pretty much confirms what we knew, Thomas Brown is overpaid

Bama's OLB coach makes right under a million a year. None of our coaches are overpaid

This is correct. Not even a full position coach. His actual job is head bagman, and no I'm not kidding. That's still a big payday for handing out brown paper sacks stuffed with cash.

"I'm a 57 year old man. If I have a 17 year old in my office, I'm pretty sure I can get him to commit to me if I want to.

:sanford:

Unfortunately, the follow up statement is about the kid going somewhere else after and then flipping, but ultimately his approach makes sense.

But if it's easy to get that, it will be just as easy for someone to flip him later. I just want him to understand who we are and what we offer. Why we are going to be there for him during and after. I rather he leave thinking 'I should have committed' or 'I wish I had committed' rather than 'why did I rush in to that' or did I make a mistake.' That's why I get a lot of calls a day or two later when they've reflected and really want to commit."

Advertisement
Back