Tidbits from Gino Dimare's lunch presentation today

Pitcher in the Rye

3) Man's Law 2) God's Law 1) Mr. Murphy's Law
Jacoby Long is the fastest player on the team. He is slated to be the Opening Day CF, and will compete for the leadoff spot. Alex McFarlane has reached 100 mph this fall. Yoyo is not only the best player on the team, but also the most improved by a big margin. This could be a massive year for him. Palmquist is indeed a candidate for the starting rotation. Walters is the leading candidate for closer. Rafe Schlesinger was recommended by Neal Heaton. Coach took full responsibility for last season, saying he didn't get the most out of his players. Anthony Vilar got hurt as a converted catcher and is finishing his rehab now. CJ Kayfus is displaying a lot of power and looks to have 1B sewn up. Last odd tidbit: DiMare was unaware that Jake Smith pitched in the minors this summer, which I find of kind of strange. They are looking to upgrade the clubhouse and weight room. The new scoreboard is being built.
That's all for now....and on a side note, if you're a moderator, please learn the difference between humor and trolling.

Advertisement
Anthony Vilar at catcher? What in the flying ****?

Also vilar is on this team? I didn’t realize that. That’s huge

Advertisement
Maybe he coaches this year versus walk around and scream at everyone all practice long!

No clue. I thought it was strange they announced him as a catcher at the draft but Padres clearly saw something that thought he could play there.
His bat didn't project as a pro middle infielder. He could get on base but never really hit for average or power. You can hide a weaker bat at catcher though which is a premium position.

Jacoby Long is the fastest player on the team. He is slated to be the Opening Day CF, and will compete for the leadoff spot. Alex McFarlane has reached 100 mph this fall. Yoyo is not only the best player on the team, but also the most improved by a big margin. This could be a massive year for him. Palmquist is indeed a candidate for the starting rotation. Walters is the leading candidate for closer. Rafe Schlesinger was recommended by Neal Heaton. Coach took full responsibility for last season, saying he didn't get the most out of his players. Anthony Vilar got hurt as a converted catcher and is finishing his rehab now. CJ Kayfus is displaying a lot of power and looks to have 1B sewn up. Last odd tidbit: DiMare was unaware that Jake Smith pitched in the minors this summer, which I find of kind of strange. They are looking to upgrade the clubhouse and weight room. The new scoreboard is being built.
That's all for now....and on a side note, if you're a moderator, please learn the difference between humor and trolling.
If Palmquist does start, I hope we have good middle relievers and set-up guys. I don't see his stuff projecting over 6 or 7 innings. I hope I am wrong as he's nasty, but unless he gets a lot of 10 pitch innings, I think he'll struggle the third time through the lineup.

Maybe he's bulked up some in the off-season?

If Palmquist does start, I hope we have good middle relievers and set-up guys. I don't see his stuff projecting over 6 or 7 innings. I hope I am wrong as he's nasty, but unless he gets a lot of 10 pitch innings, I think he'll struggle the third time through the lineup.

Maybe he's bulked up some in the off-season?
He started in high school. I'm sure he can do it from an endurance standpoint.

Advertisement
No clue. I thought it was strange they announced him as a catcher at the draft but Padres clearly saw something that thought he could play there.
Padres seem to be doing that a lot with newly drafted players. L. Dunn out of Louisville was drafted as a second baseman and was moved to Cather also.

McFarlane looked a bit bigger than I remember during the couple fall practices I caught.

Maybe that difference in velo will kick him up a notch.

I doubt it. I hope the new AD shows him the door sooner rather than later.
IIRC, he has 2 years left on his contract. They probably won't fire him, just decide to go in a different direction once his contract is up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back