Throwback Thursday - Devin Hester

TC7D

2000 Cane
It's been a while since I watched his HS highlights. Not sure I've ever seen any HS player turn more simple looking plays into TDs. Practically every time he touches the ball he ends up in the end zone. 1,000 yards rushing on 94 carries, 12 tds. 1,000 yards receiving on 38 catches, 9 tds. So only 10 yards a carry, 26 yards a catch and 17 tds rushing / receiving on 132 touches - scored a td every 7.7 touches. Insane.

HIGH SCHOOL: Suncoast...orginally signed with Miami in 2002...widely regarded as one of the nation's finest two-way players... considered by most observers to be one of the best all-around prospects in the nation, regardless of position...one of the most versatile recruits in the nation, he played extensively at running back, receiver, defensive back and as a return man...a Parade All-American... a USA Today First-Team All-American...rated the no. 1 prospect in Florida, regardless of position, by SuperPrep...rated the no. 6 prospect in the nation, regardless of position, by SuperPrep...a member of SuperPrep's National Elite 50...A SuperPrep All-American...ranked the no. 2 defensive back in the nation by SuperPrep...member of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100...rated the nation's no. 1 cornerback on Max Emfinger's National Top 125...no. 28 prospect in the nation, regardless of position, on the Dallas Morning News National Top 100... rated the no. 1 defensive back and no. 3 overall player in Florida by TheInsiders.com...rated the no. 1 defensive back and no. 3 overall player in Florida by Student Sports...ranked the no. 1 defensive back and no. 1 overall player in Florida by Florida Kids...rated the no. 8 prospect in the nation by the Miami Herald...rated the no. 2 prospect in Florida by the Miami Herald...a Gridiron Greats Preseason Top 100 selection...earned First-Team Class 3A All-State honors as a senior...a member of Sunshine Network's All-Gridiron Team...rushed for 1,014 yards and 12 touchdowns on 94 carries (17 touchdowns) while compiling 1,028 yards receiving on 38 catches for 9 touchdowns, in addition to throwing for 5 touchdowns and 225 yards as a senior...made 156 tackles (75 solos), had 3 quarterback sacks, caused 3 fumbles and recov-ered a fumble as a senior on defense... timed at 4.33 in the 40-yard dash...possesses a 38-inch vertical leap...was named the MVP of the CaliFlorida All-Star game in which he returned a kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown and had an interception and three tackles on defense...also a track and field standout who earned prep All-America honors and ranked second nationally in the long jump dur-ing his junior year...chose Miami over Florida State, Purdue, North Carolina State and Georgia...coached in football by Jimmy Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5xfXiHd3Dc

Advertisement
Advertisement
Will soon be cemented as the best KR in the history of the World since it looks like the NFL might be doing away with kickoffs.

For as many football games as I've watched, for as many fast players I've seen with the ball, Hester's explosion between the 10 and 30 yard lines on that return are maybe the fastest 20 yards I've ever seen anyone run. And I was there for that return, too, and the pandemonium in the WEZ was pretty epic, even for the WEZ.

There's shifty and fast players...and then there is Devin Hester.

The word savage gets thrown around way to easily and often these days. That word should be reserved only for the true ballers like DH. Dude is an all-time savage.

Advertisement
I had the pleasure and honor of sitting with the legendary VegasCane (RIP Jack) for that game.....that was probably the loudest I'veever heard any stadium when Hester took that back.....that was one incredible comeback....maybe the best game I've ever seen in person as well.

Advertisement
One of the biggest mysteries ever in Hurricanes lore is how in Gods name did Hester not break almost every single offensive record in the book.

The fact he never solidified a place in the Offense is a travesty of epic proportions. I don't care if he was as dumb as a box of rocks we wasted dudes talent in a downright unforgivable way. He should have been our Reggie Bush, our Percy Harvin, our Peter Warrick.

**** makes me sad as ****.

^^^ I was there - one of the loudest moments in the OB.

I agree it was loud - however it was louder in the 4th qtr
- To win that game we needed to get back to back 3 and outs - the fans knew it - the players knew it
- Sometimes we talk too much about the home field advantage of the OB - but that night the Grey lady helped us win

I was at the Florida game as well. If I remember correctly Hester had said before the game that he would take is first ever college return to the house. The rest is history

Advertisement
Had the pleasure to see D Hest in person as a Cane and had the pleasure to see him in person as a Bear. One of my all time favorite football players, period; but so glad he was a Cane and a Bear.

One of the biggest mysteries ever in Hurricanes lore is how in Gods name did Hester not break almost every single offensive record in the book.

The fact he never solidified a place in the Offense is a travesty of epic proportions. I don't care if he was as dumb as a box of rocks we wasted dudes talent in a downright unforgivable way. He should have been our Reggie Bush, our Percy Harvin, our Peter Warrick.

**** makes me sad as ****.

I remember watching Devin Hester return kicks, then turn around and drop a screen pass or 60 yard bomb. I was young and figured he would be a NFL cornerback because he could never catch.

Advertisement
Back