Through 8 games: total offense = 70th

Advertisement
Yards per play is at 5.8. Last year it was 5.7

Points per play is at 0.415. Last season it was 0.379.

But let's all have bad memories and act like last year's offense was not terrible and Richt has destroyed them.

This years schedule is infinitely easier. More **** defenses this year too.

Total offense: 396.5 (68th)
Rushing offense: 119.1 (117th)
Passing offense: 277.4 (29th)
Scoring offense: 27.8 (71st)
Third down pct: 35.0 (107th)
Red zone pct: 81.7 (84th)

Total offense: 400.9 (70th)
Rushing offense: 148.9 (95th)
Passing offense: 252.0 (48th)
Scoring offense: 32.9 (44th)
Third down pct: 35.3 (102nd)
Red zone pct: 78.8 (98th)

The numbers are virtually identical. We can be disappointed that Richt hasn't improved upon the numbers with almost all of the personnel returning, but the narrative that he's torpedoing the offense is silly.

Maybe some hotshot Air Raid disciple OC could've come in here and lit it up with Kaaya throwing the ball 60 times a game (although I'm skeptical), but we know Richt wants to be balanced.

The biggest problem I see with the offense is there's nothing you can hang your hat on. The OL gets pushed around all game. The RBs are either small and/or slow and/or lack vision. The QB has awful pocket presence, and becomes very inaccurate when pressured.

Advertisement
This years schedule is infinitely easier. More **** defenses this year too.

Eh, not really.

GT was 3-9 last year and we played them at home.
VT had a ****** backup QB playing and we played them at home (and got 4 turnovers).
UNC decimated us. It was like 45-0 late in the 3rd quarter.
FAU is pretty much a wash. I think they gave us 6 turnovers in that game, too.
FSU was better last year. That's the one performance that's significantly worse.

But let's all have bad memories and act like last year's offense was not terrible and Richt has destroyed them.

This includes scoring 0 against Clemson last year, and us scoring 70 against FAMU this year.

So lets play this game since you are pretending that the offense doesn't look worse, or just as bad.

vs FAU
2015: 44
2016: 38

vs GT
2015: 38
2016: 35 (with 2 defensive TD's)

vs VT
2015: 30
2016: 16

vs UNC
2015: 21 (Most of these points were scored against UNC 2nd/3rd string I will admit)
2016: 13

vs FSU
2015: 24
2016: 19 (We all know FSU's defense this year was worse on top of that)

The only contest where we out performed last years team offensively was
vs FAMU 2016 we scored 70
vs BCU 2015 we scored 45...FAMU isn't 25 points worse than Bethune

Last edited:

The numbers are virtually identical. We can be disappointed that Richt hasn't improved upon the numbers with almost all of the personnel returning, but the narrative that he's torpedoing the offense is silly.

Maybe some hotshot Air Raid disciple OC could've come in here and lit it up with Kaaya throwing the ball 60 times a game (although I'm skeptical), but we know Richt wants to be balanced.

The biggest problem I see with the offense is there's nothing you can hang your hat on. The OL gets pushed around all game. The RBs are either small and/or slow and/or lack vision. The QB has awful pocket presence, and becomes very inaccurate when pressured.

Check those same stats for "similar opponents"

VT, FSU, UNC, FAU, and GT.

Advertisement

This includes scoring 0 against Clemson last year, and us scoring 70 against FAMU this year.

So lets play this game since you are pretending that the offense doesn't look worse, or just as bad.

vs FAU

vs GT

vs VT

vs UNC
2015: 21 (Most of these points were scored against UNC 2nd/3rd string I will admit)

vs FSU

We got 6 turnovers against FAU, 4 turnovers against GT at home, and 4 turnovers against VT at home.

With the entire OL returning, I expected them to play much better-huge disappointment there.

Kaaya-I have known for a while, this guy was never what he was hyped to be but I did expect improvement from last year-None so far.

Hard for the O to improve with the OL and QB underperforming.

I get the feeling most UM fans are upset with our abominable offensive production against P5 teams. We don't really care about the stat padding done in the first 3 games. I'd venture a guess we're quite a bit worse in that comparison.

Richt finally opened up the playbook, unfortunately all it contained was Charlie Ward's name with a heart around it.

Advertisement

vs FAU

vs GT

vs VT

vs UNC

vs FSU

We got 6 turnovers against FAU, 4 turnovers against GT at home, and 4 turnovers against VT at home.

I want to ask you a ridiculous question that I'm sure you don't know off the top of your head (like how many offensive drives started in the red zone with or without the turnovers in comparison to this year or the last) but that would slow the argument.
Instead, I'm going to assume that you are saying we had more opportunities offensively last year, and match that by saying we have a much better defense this year...with less offensive efficiency this year.
Our problem last year was:
-Scoring too fast, not allowing defense to rest
-Going 3 and out, not allowing defense to rest
-Not being able to get 3rd and manageable
-Not being able to score in the Red Zone even when we did move the ball well.
-Only Big play WR was Coley, our #1 WR in Scott had dependable hands at times but not enough speed to stretch the Defense.

This year our problem is:
-Not being able to convert 3rd downs even when they are 3rd and short
-Unable to have decent interior blocking on running plays, and unable to stop speed rushers on passing plays.
-With how many more opportunities we had last year due to the defense causing turnovers....we still have more sacks this year.
-Receiving Units dropping balls like crazy, Kaaya over throwing some wide open guys (Which didn't happen as much last year, or is maybe just intensified.)

Altogether, our player execution this year is just plain bad...and everyone saying the OLine sucks, are failing to point out how many more sacks we've given up this year when compared to the last..and it's not like Kaaya was more mobile last year.

I get the feeling most UM fans are upset with our abominable offensive production against P5 teams. We don't really care about the stat padding done in the first 3 games. I'd venture a guess we're quite a bit worse in that comparison.

It's basically the same in terms of common opponents.

We were losing to UNC 45-0 deep in the third, and got some garbage points. VT was horrendous last year with Motley at QB, and they gave us 4 turnovers at home. GT went 3-9 last year and gave us 4 turnovers at home.

FSU is the outlier. We played them worse this year offensively despite being at home and facing a weaker defense. That might've been the best game Kaaya has ever played, all things considered.

NOT 1 guy on our offense is the best at is position in the acc. Not 1. We stink

Njoku is probably the best TE. I see Bucky Hodges as more of a Mike Evans type WR than a TE

He won't be the best TE in the ACC until he pulls a Clive Walford and stop dropping passes and become dependable.

NOT 1 guy on our offense is the best at is position in the acc. Not 1. We stink

Njoku is probably the best TE. I see Bucky Hodges as more of a Mike Evans type WR than a TE

Njoku might not even be the best TE on his on team let alone the ACC.

Looks the best to me and didn't drop a pass yesterday. If we knew how to use him he'd be regarded as the best TE in the country. He'll be a good player in the league for many years

Advertisement
I want to ask you a ridiculous question that I'm sure you don't know off the top of your head (like how many offensive drives started in the red zone with or without the turnovers in comparison to this year or the last) but that would slow the argument.
Instead, I'm going to assume that you are saying we had more opportunities offensively last year, and match that by saying we have a much better defense this year...with less offensive efficiency this year.
Our problem last year was:
-Scoring too fast, not allowing defense to rest
-Going 3 and out, not allowing defense to rest
-Not being able to get 3rd and manageable
-Not being able to score in the Red Zone even when we did move the ball well.
-Only Big play WR was Coley, our #1 WR in Scott had dependable hands at times but not enough speed to stretch the Defense.

This year our problem is:
-Not being able to convert 3rd downs even when they are 3rd and short
-Unable to have decent interior blocking on running plays, and unable to stop speed rushers on passing plays.
-With how many more opportunities we had last year due to the defense causing turnovers....we still have more sacks this year.
-Receiving Units dropping balls like crazy, Kaaya over throwing some wide open guys (Which didn't happen as much last year, or is maybe just intensified.)

Altogether, our player execution this year is just plain bad...and everyone saying the OLine sucks, are failing to point out how many more sacks we've given up this year when compared to the last..and it's not like Kaaya was more mobile last year.

I think we can analyze it to death, but by the numbers (and IMO, the eye test as well), the offensive results are a wash.

We expected a quick turnaround and didn't get it, which is disappointing.

Bottom line is I think it's hard to scheme around all of our faults in year one. If we don't see an upgrade next year, then we're probably screwed.

And like every other coach lover...you use stats out of context.

"This year's" stats only include 8 games and 3 of those 8 were against high school teams. 4 of the remaining 5 were against HORRIBLE defenses. Let's see where the number end up at seasons end.

But by all means keep comparing your apples to macaroni and cheese.

And like every other coach lover...you use stats out of context.

"This year's" stats only include 8 games and 3 of those 8 were against high school teams. 4 of the remaining 5 were against HORRIBLE defenses. Let's see where the number end up at seasons end.

But by all means keep comparing your apples to macaroni and cheese.

Nobody we played last year had a good defense either. GT's was BAD last year, VT's was worse last year, UNC's was worse last year and would've shut us out if they really wanted to. We played cupcakes last year also.

I wish I had the ability to falsely remember events as well as a lot of members of this board.

Do you all not remember that pretty much any 3rd down had to be a pass last year because we were no threat to run up the middle. At least this year we've had inconsistent success running against P5 teams. Last season we had none. We literally averaged barely over 3.5 yards a carry the entire year even with playing bad defenses every week seemingly.

Let's just all keep acting like the offense was so much better last year because we can cherry pick a few stats like sacks. We can act like the fact that we had 16 sacks last year was all because the OL was filled with 5 AA pass blockers and Searles came in and ruined them. We can act like Kaaya was going through progression after progression last year and Richt ruined him.

The reality is the OL was putrid last year and is barely any better this year. The reality is Kaaya was having his hand held by Coley every play with the look at me offense and the 1 read or dump offense that was beyond awful.

It's irritating seeing so many people complain about Richt's offense when it's clear they couldn't tell you too many differences between the systems. Last year Kaaya had one read the majority of the plays and if one or two guys didn't get open he'd dump. This led to half of the field never even being used each play and half the route runners being decoys.

Now we have Richt running a system that requires Kaaya to make progressions and he hasn't done well with it. Too many times we see him key in on his first read and never look to the other side of the field. I've seen Coley, Richards, and Njoku waving their hands wide open and never being looked at enough to last me a life time through the last 4-5 games. Yesterday we had guys running underneath crossing routes all day and Kaaya would never look away from the primary read on the sideline.

Richt hasn't been the best play caller, but he's called decent enough to where we should be 7-1 or 6-2. The main issue right now is not his play calling ability, it is the fact that he has apparently not coached up Kaaya very well in his system. Either Richt needs to somehow break through to Kaaya, give Rosier a shot, or alter his system to hold Kaaya's hand more. I'd rather see the first option, but I doubt it's going to happen this season.

I can sit here and blame Kaaya for taking so many unnecessary sack and never finding the open man, but ultimately that falls on Richt because he is the guy that's supposed to prepare Kaaya to run this offense. That isn't to say Kaaya isn't at fault either because he definitely deserves a lot of the flack he has received, but his position coach, both the Richts are failing at preparing him for the system. I don't know what the issue is. Maybe Kaaya is just not smart football-wise, maybe their approach has just been poor, maybe it's a collection of multiple things. I don't care. I just want to see it get fixed one way or another.

However, I'm not going to sit here and act like the offense is just the worst we've ever seen. Last year the O was porous, this year it is too. We just have new problems along with some of the old ones, so it's easy for some people on here to the fact that new problems are introduced and blame Richt for making the offense 'worse' when they are completely neglecting what he has also fixed from last year.

Advertisement
Back