Three Questions

Advertisement
If UM is 8th in the ACC with 22 wins, it's in the NCAAs, just saying'

As far as Newton is concerned, he's not a prototypical 1, but that's ok because Davon Reed handles many of those duties. If you want a comparison to Newton, look at Brunson at Villanova. They penetrate exceptionally well. They handle the ball fine. They should shoot 6-8 free throws a game. They defend adequately. They pass a bit more than adequately.

Newton still can't shoot the three (Brunson is marginally better) and he's good for a charge a game, but his ability to get into the lane is special. He'll be fine. The problems lay elsewhere (three point shooting and big man quality & depth).

Personally, before the season I thought this season would progress a different way. I thought Muhammad would actually have a positive impact and provide quality depth. I thought Huell would be more advanced and more helpful. I really thought that we would just squeak into the NCAAT.

As the season progressed, we saw a team that was on the outside. I think the low point was after the first Duke game. We had the lead by 11 at halftime and then we went on to get spanked in the second half. At that point we were 12-6 (2-4). I don't think anyone thought we were an NCAAT team.

Since that point, we went 8-4 (before the ACCT) and the season was turned around. This included wins over UNC, Duke and @UVA.

Then we went to the ACCT, beat Cuse and lost to #1 UNC. We're now looking at the NCAAT and waiting for our seed/match-up.

----------------

With that said, I think this season was a tremendous success and Coach's best performance at UM. I was most impressed with 2013-14, when he got us to 7-11 in the ACC. 6 of those 11 losses were by 5 or less points, 2 of them were by 1 point. That team was utter trash. I don't know how he won 7.

I think if you give this squad to 95%+ of the coaches in NCAA, you don't get this performance/results.

As always, props to the team and Coach. Time to move into the NCAAT, we can do damage.

Let's do this.

Personally, before the season I thought this season would progress a different way. I thought Muhammad would actually have a positive impact and provide quality depth. I thought Huell would be more advanced and more helpful. I really thought that we would just squeak into the NCAAT.

As the season progressed, we saw a team that was on the outside. I think the low point was after the first Duke game. We had the lead by 11 at halftime and then we went on to get spanked in the second half. At that point we were 12-6 (2-4). I don't think anyone thought we were an NCAAT team.

Since that point, we went 8-4 (before the ACCT) and the season was turned around. This included wins over UNC, Duke and @UVA.

Then we went to the ACCT, beat Cuse and lost to #1 UNC. We're now looking at the NCAAT and waiting for our seed/match-up.

----------------

With that said, I think this season was a tremendous success and Coach's best performance at UM. I was most impressed with 2013-14, when he got us to 7-11 in the ACC. 6 of those 11 losses were by 5 or less points, 2 of them were by 1 point. That team was utter trash. I don't know how he won 7.

I think if you give this squad to 95%+ of the coaches in NCAA, you don't get this performance/results.

As always, props to the team and Coach. Time to move into the NCAAT, we can do damage.

Let's do this.

Consistency was the big factor in us not playing better, which is expected from a young team. After the non-conference portion of the schedule i didnt think we'd be good at all let alone in the NCAAT. We were a couple of possessions away (thanks Newton) from a 24 win season or more IMO. If Huell and DJ develop more and Walker/Lykes are as good as advertised, then we might win the ACC next year

Advertisement
Back