Three DEs in on 3rd Down?

WPB Cane

Redshirt Senior
Saw a few times last night where we only rushed 3 down linemen who were all our best pass rushing DEs. Trevon Hill and Jon Garvin on the outside with Greg R in the middle. I know many aren’t pleased with Baker, but I was pumped seeing those 3 on the field at once. We only have Hill for a year, yet our starting DEs did earn their spots and Greg R is making a case for being the new alpha DE. Glad to see all these guys are being used.

Advertisement
Saw a few times last night where we only rushed 3 down linemen who were all our best pass rushing DEs. Trevon Hill and Jon Garvin on the outside with Greg R in the middle. I know many aren’t pleased with Baker, but I was pumped seeing those 3 on the field at once. We only have Hill for a year, yet our starting DEs did earn their spots and Greg R is making a case for being the new alpha DE. Glad to see all these guys are being used.

Our nascar package, as it were. We’ve been fielding it since game 1. Rousseau is axtrally very effective when lining up on center. Hill and garvin otoh, have been mostly ineffective outside of an occasional pressure

you think it's awesome watching their qb have all day to throw in a clean pocket vs a secondary leaving WR's wide open?

at times we went back to a 4-3 defense that looked like manny's D, I think that's manny taking back control of the D

Blake baker is a ***** plain and simple. Hes a less arrogant D'Onofrio. 3 man rush every 3rd and long?? You can tell manny gave him **** cause in the 2nd half we saw alot more pressure o 3rd and long (and they still converted).

Miami (new or old) is a fast brand of football. Manny teaches playing fast. And when we get into a situation where we can take advantage of our so-called speed, we sit back and be passive.

Nepotism has brought down many successful regimes. Putting someone is a position they arent prepared for is always disastrous. Blake Baker isnt a P5 DC. Banda isnt a D1 DB coach. Patke isnt a D1 ST coach and the striker isnt a revolutionary new thing (it's a LB that can cover). After watching our DL and supposed AA Garvin, I'd throw Stroud in there too. Our defensive coaches, aside from Rumph, are only here because they previously worked with Diaz. That's it! And we expect these guys to be motivated enough to coach our guys up properly?

Advertisement
They scored 10 points and their rushing average was 1.1 yards. Our offense was the problem converting only 1 3rd down, but they did enough to win. Unfortunately our running game was almost as pathetic but all the things gone wrong can be fixed. If we blew them out we might have been too confident in our next game, now we have 2 weeks to fix what is broken.

I Absolutely dont like our defense. I hate seeing rosseau double teamed by big O lineman. And we are much better when he is on the edge. Why not give the young guys a shot at tackle if you dont like what the starters are doing. Our defensive line is elite when they are not forced to play out of position. And enough about Patch he did some really dumb stuff against CMU.

Love Greg on the inside but it should definitely be a 4 man front with him and maybe chigozie on the inside. Need to have someone that can push the pocket in there

Advertisement
I’m not saying I like rushing 3 over 4 guys, just saying it was cool as **** to see these 3 guys on the field at the same time. If I’m not mistaken, the first time we used it last night it resulted in our first turnover. Im not positive but believe we Garvin got a strip sack off it later. This doesn’t mean I don’t want to rush 4. I think Baker overall has regressed our TFLs and sacks we’ve been use to seeing the past 3 years.

Advertisement
They scored 10 points and their rushing average was 1.1 yards. Our offense was the problem converting only 1 3rd down, but they did enough to win. Unfortunately our running game was almost as pathetic but all the things gone wrong can be fixed. If we blew them out we might have been too confident in our next game, now we have 2 weeks to fix what is broken.
With you until the last sentence. Thank God we didn't blow them out. Blessing in disguise that we sucked. Wouldn't want to feel like we're on a roll and on the way back up.

Advertisement
Wait isn’t rushing 3 guys and dropping into coverage or a prevent type what everyone has clamoring for after the UNC 4th and 17? I mean which one is it. Now we play coverage and we’re all mad still?

15 was effective at nose because he is a freak, not because it is a good place to put him. Luckily Jon Garvin spends most passing downs 15 yards downfield in coverage so maybe 15 can slide outside?

Teams have tendencies and opponents exploit them therefore we will see differences from both the offense and defense. This is a VERY young team. As they grow we will become more aggressive and varied. Be patient and be a TRUE fan, win lose or draw. The primary point is did anyone see one Hurricane player slack off? Did anyone act defeated or did they seem frustrated but keep trying. We left a lot of points on the floor but not from lack of effort. The one uncommon I did notice was for some reason we had trouble with the footing which has not seemed to be a problem before at home. What more should we expect of OUR young kids. Applaud the effort and the win or keep quiet, the KIDS deserve our undying support or you are not really a fan of the team but a fan of following winning. Go root for Alabama or Clemson if that is all you want. I look forward to growth and success since we are on the right path but unloyal fans and coaching critics that don't know squat can (notice CAN not WILL) hurt recruiting. It will be great to follow through until we win the Coastal and beat Clemson. IT WILL HAPPEN AND SOON.

Advertisement
Back