Thread for the guys we are hoping make a jump

BWCD

Junior
Had an idea after reading the threads on the Transfer Portal and recruiting. We seem to not have that much traction in the portal for guys that we need for next year, and the incoming class of Nwoko and George while promising may not have as much instant impact as we hope for.

So that being said...let's talk bout some of the guys who are returning that we need to step up into bigger roles with the departures of guys like Wong/Miller/Beverly (and yes, even Walker). Note for this exercise, I'm not gonna delve into Benz nor Wooga because I feel like they're both known commodities who are definitely gonna log more minutes and have bigger roles than last season...especially Wooga. Time to show Jakai/Christian/AJ/Favour some love and constructive criticism.

Jakai Robinson

So here's some HS highlights of Jakai. In HS he was listed as a 4* kid, and was slightly higher rated than both Benz/Wooga in the same class. He was 6'4/200 in HS, and is listed on our roster currently at 6'5/208. He was a top 100 kid, and considered by some services as the top guard in the DMV area which normally is a pretty big deal with the brand of ball they play in that region. I think truly it's just that he hasn't developed as quickly as Benz/Wooga, and with Wong at the true scoring 2, Jakai hasn't been in the plans at the spot that would probably fit him best long-term if he develops his whole game. **Keep in mind** - there is NOTHING wrong with having a guy for 2 years, redshirting one, and waiting for him to be actually ready to play...we tend to get too wrapped up in the "bust" way of thinking if a guy doesn't come straight in and take a spot. That being said...if he doesn't make that happen this year and George steals minutes from him...might be portal time for Jakai.

Jakai is pretty much regarded as a well-rounded wing, who's main strength in HS as you can see from his tape was his stroke from 3. I think his athleticism and hopefully playing against the likes of Wong and even Christian Watson (see below) in practice has helped his D and his physicality. I wouldn't mind seeing him work more in the gym this postseason and get a lot stronger - become a 3 and D kind of dude off the bench to replace what we lost when Beverly jumped in the portal.

Christian Watson

Christian got some burn at times this season when we needed to go deeper than Benz/Beverly at the wings. He was hit or miss, but for a true Freshman, not terrible, and just has to develop. I feel like his strengths are more along making those special defensive plays with his athleticism/length, and getting his points driving to the bucket and into the mid-range game. He's capable from deep but I think that needs to continue to develop. He was a borderline 3/4* depending on the service you looked at, and was the #1 player in the DC area.

I love Christian's athleticism and frame at 6'7/209 (official roster listing). I think the difference between him getting burn this year and not Jakai (besides I think Jakai has fought injuries if I'm not mistaken) is Christian's extra heighth/length and athleticism versus Jakai. What you're going to see is a battle for Jakai/Christian to work into the rotation more with Wong's departure. Wooga will likely take that ball-dominant role that Wong had with iso sets and with the high pick & roll at the top of the key. So...Wooga's minutes and Beverly's minutes are there to sort out between Jakai/Christian...and we know Wooga started and Beverly came off the bench. The opportunity could be there for one of either Jakai/Christian to start.

AJ Casey

AJ is hyper talented, was listed at 6'8/180 in HS and 6'9/213 per the official roster now. Consensus 4* on all services, our highest rated recruit in last year's class. Length, athleticism, smoothness with guard skills at his size - all things I really like about him. BUT - since his frame has started filling out, we aren't gonna want him at the 3 like his HS tape would indicate - we need him to be a viable PF to complement Omier - which was always the projection for him. Best case next year? He puts it together and starts at the 4 to complement Omier. I think he's on track for that.

I have 2 complaints when it comes to Casey's game - one, he doesn't play at his size around the rim. He tends to fall back on those guard tendencies and try to make a layup while contorting away from the D instead of going to the rim with power. Secondly - this ties in with the 1st point - but he tends to forget that he's almost 6'10/220 now, and could end up that size or bigger as quickly as next year...he needs to play like it and understand his role. I saw this first-hand at the ACC Tourney against Duke. We were within striking distance even without Omier in the 2nd half - and Casey got left wide open off a high pick and roll just to the left of the top of the key. Duke was in foul trouble, and Filipowski and Co. were begging Casey to shoot from outside...and that's what Casey did. And he missed. And it hurt the run that we were on at that point. Casey should have taken the ball inside against Duke at that point in the game and earned his points at the line. Whether he converted or not...that puts Duke in a position to have to foul him with a head full of steam going to the bucket. He's got to understand his role and what he is *now*, not what he was in HS. I don't want him to abandon his guard skill set at his size but that has to be his secondary skill set going forward.

Favour Aire - Not Returning per Gables Canes

6'11/215 and raw - but with enough athleticism to make it work. I'd like to see Aire go the Tonye Jekiri route and continue building himself physically and working on being a true back to the bucket big who loves to rebound and block shots. 4* composite on 24/7 and our 2nd highest rated recruit in last year's class behind Casey and just ahead of Watson.

Aire got some burn early this season but faded out of the rotation as the season went on - which is to be expected with our style of play and getting into conference play. What little bit we saw of Aire - I like. If my knock on Casey is trying to be something he's not, Aire definitely doesn't do that. He knows who he is, and he gets his butt in the paint and works. I like his attitude and his game as a traditional big, and the upside is there. For next year, he needs to be a viable option off the bench to spell Omier and Casey - and maybe even Nwoko. The path to successful minutes for us is easier for Aire than Casey even though Casey is more talented - Aire just has to keep working on his balance and footwork, finishing at the rim, and get stronger to bang down low in the ACC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I posted this in another thread about Jakai.
On another note, I could see Danilo coming back
—————————-
Valid points. I’d counter with a few minutes of mop up duty in a couple of games is a small sample size.

He’s had a couple years to gain muscle (205 up from 185) and learn the system. He’s always been known as an excellent defender and 3 pt shooter. Can also play the 3 (albeit without length).

The fact that he’s stuck with the program and seemingly passed his end of season interview, coupled with the fact we haven’t aggressively (imho) pursued a 2 in the portal leads me to believe L sees a role for him this year.

From what I’ve seen of Casey, he’s too soft finishing at the rim and defending. Tends to not play to his size and strength far too often.

You made an excellent point about him not understanding his role. Maybe that contributed to his confusion. He looked mostly lost on the court and it’s not by accident Ant took most of the minutes.

Hopefully the light comes on this year. The toolkit is there for him to succeed.

Advertisement
Great post but sadly, Aire transferred out.

Robinson is a huge wild card. He has some of the 3 and D traits like a Davon Reed. Let's really hope he puts it together this year and can make a significant impact.

I missed that, thank you. Much like Danilo I'd like for him to keep the door open to coming back, dunno if that's possible.

Also edited my OP and credited you.

Watson & Casey will be critical for us in terms of depth.

Watson has the highest upside & looked to be the most comfortable in games the few times he got to play. He’s a really swift mover & gets the basket with ease, he just has to find his Jumper on a consistent basis & he can be a legitimate contributor next season.

Casey played a lot of valuable minutes out of necessity, once the mental aspect of the game slows down for him he can be a good player, he just looked rushed & eager to make a play most of the time when he would get in games. But with being the primary Big backing up for Omier I think he learned a lot this year, he had to play in some critical games for us & hopefully learned to settle down & focus on the task at hand. It’ll be a matter of him getting a better feel for the game & letting the game come to him instead of trying to force it & making mistakes. Once he figures out that his Bread & Butter will be Rebounding & playing within the confines of the system, his Offensive game should start to click.

Jakai is the biggest mystery; he really didn’t play much at all, except at the very very very last minute of games if we had a large lead & in the few instances he did play he looked surprised that he was actually even in the game lol

He’ll basically be coming into next season as Double Redshirt Frosh, he’s essentially like a brand new player lol

It’ll be interesting to see what he’s got if he gets any PT early in the season against our OOC schedule.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back