Thoughts

canesnc5

Recruit
I don't post often but needed to vent. Just a few of my thoughts after watching this game. Some may not be popular but I am not looking to fight or name call others just thinking out loud and looking to discuss a few things. In no particular order.

Play calling was not great, but neither was decision making. I still think Lashlee is a good OC and am very happy King is here but both struggled with different aspects today. A lot of complaints about running up the middle and I agree but how many times did King keep it himself and get outside. I could have missed a couple but I don't remember any. If the D is not worried about that they can stuff the middle. TVD kept 2 while he was. King has to keep some of those.

Red zone play calling was bad. Spread out and throw to get it downfield then slow down and run inside red zone is not smart. Also, never been a fan of a QB sneak out of shotgun. If you need 1, why start 5-6 yards back?

Cheney needs to play more.

Like Restrepo and think he could have big future, but when down 30 no need to celebrate a 1st down catch and pose for pics on the sideline after a TD. Example of ME first culture.

Why can't we have size AND speed on defense like other teams? Keontra fast but small. Flagg good size but a little slow. Several other examples. Why are we the team that has to sacrifice one for the other?

We consistently miss way to many tackles. Why do they not hold each other accountable. Back when we were the U, players held each other accountable. I know it was for dropped INT but I remember players doing push ups on the field after a play. These kids know how to tackle. I personally think the TO chain is a big part of the problem. Everyone wants the INT or the big hit to force TO instead of making the play that is in front of you. More ME first.

Don't get me wrong, there is enough blame for the coaches also.Blame goes both ways. There is a lot they could do better, but on a dropped pick or a missed tackle the player was in the right spot and maybe even correct play was called it just wasn't executed. Same on offense. With a lot of RPO's the decision lies with the QB.

Lastly, and as a coach myself I never blame referees or umpires, but I would like to see a stat over the last 10 years on penalties for our opponent. I would bet a lot of money that our opponent in any given game is one of the least penalized teams for that particular weekend. We all see it. I guarantee we have more targeting penalties than any team.

Sorry for the long post, GO CANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back