Thoughts on VA game

edge

Junior
Sloppy win. Should have won by 21 points minimum.

One thing not discussed is how tall the VA OL are. The average height of the starting OL is the tallest in the ACC. They are monsters and this is why we did not get any sacks. OL very much underrated.

Defense held the VA offense to about 100 yards under their average. First drive of the game they were sleep walking. No excuses, but night game with no crowd is basically a noon game. Ivey had the worst of it in that series playing off his man a good 10 yards. Bolden with a super week play in the EZ after making a terrific play in EZ. He easily could have knocked that TE out of bounds but gave little effort. That summed up the start on D. The rest of the game D played great except for their last scoring drive. Once again its like they already went to the locker room. Lazy effort. Lazy communication. Lazy sense of urgency. I don't know what Blades was doing, but I do know this. He had no idea what play was called and how Diaz doesn't call a TO there boggles my mind. Manny your are not calling plays, you don't get after the refs for bad or no calls, you don't coach players, do you think you could at least decipher if the team is lined up correctly and if not call a TO? Absolutely inexcusable. Losing that TO in no way hurts us. So Manny was asleep just as much as the Defense was asleep on that drive. I got chastised for stating not having Flagg would hurt. Well how many plays did #53 make? Cannot even think of one. Flagg would have had a good game as he is coming on strong.

Offense played well as far as yards gained. Did not do well punching the ball in EZ. Lashley running the same play three times in a row in the red zone was dumb. Lazy play calling. We are not Bama where we can just blow a team off the ball even if the other team knows that is what is happening. Fortunately he learned from that next time and threw in the Chaney wildcat wrinkle. Everyone needs to stop dogging Harley. He has played well all year outside of a couple drops against Lville and FSU. If not for him, we might be in serious serious trouble in the passing game. Not having Jordan really hurt in this game. We were forced to play #88 and man was he not ready. Could not even get lined up correctly on a few plays. Chaney deserves to start next game. What in the world happened to Smith, 3 snaps?

Not sure why, but I have not see the non call on offsides discussed. About 6 minutes left and we have the ball on UVA 40 yard line. 3rd and 4 and King executes a perfect snap count to make UVA jump offsides. Ball is snapped when UVA defender is clearly across line. I mean the refs know when a team is trying to get the other team to jump. And yet they didnt call it and King throws an incomplete pass. That should have been first down at the UVA 35. If your recall we were rolling on the drive. UVA was totally gassed and the refs bailed them out. We would have scored a TD on that drive. That was a huge huge non call and I am surprised this was not discussed. We got hosed. Look I am not forgiving the performance. But final score should have been 26-7. That looks way better then 19-7 at the end of the day.

Advertisement
That was not the only thing that the refs did to help UVA. But it was the most egregious. It was nice to see refs that knew how to throw the flag for holding and PI though. I am still steamed about the officiating in the Clemson game.

The line did that thing were they didn’t even move and stayed in their stance. Was def an offsides. Just couldn’t finish drives which was frustrating. Need to be more creative in the redzone run game. I would’ve liked to see a king bootleg with 2 options to throw too. Also don’t know why we run so much on 3rd down and 8+....we could’ve passed on them all game. On to NC state...

Advertisement
Back