NFL Draft Thoughts On UFDA and Eligibility

Advertisement
Not Bad Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

I am not convinced one way or another, but my knee-jerk reaction is somewhat against it. Some thoughts/questions...

Since they tend to declare in December/January, signing day goes to February, but the draft isn't until April, what happens if an undrafted kid wants to come back to his school but there is no longer space (because they signed his replacement via HS or the portal)? Would they have to come back to their same school, or immediately enter the transfer portal? Will these kids still count against the 85 limit? As an IC if they come back to a team other than the team they left? Does this incentivize marginal draft picks to declare for the draft just to see what happens? Could be a risk for those kids who get bad advise but end up drafted in the 6th or 7th round (where nothing is guaranteed) when they could have come back, made an impact, and greatly improved his stock for the coming year (and maybe made some $$$ w/ NIL). There's a lot that would need to be worked out to make this viable and (somewhat) fair to all parties.

On the other hand, keeping these kids out in the cold for making a bad business decision is a harsh penalty. I have always appreciated that UM allows them to come back to finish their degree for free, but obviously none of us want to see any former UM players who contributed to the program tossed aside for making a bad decision. Also, this would obviously only apply to kids who leave with at least a year of eligibility left, so maybe it wouldn't be such a strong incentive to declare afterall?

Definitely interesting, but a lot to consider.

But why have such a rule? My understanding is that with that NFL draft advisory process, kids learn where they'll end up more or less. Most make an informed decision, even if it's a bad decision. So what would be the purpose of the rule and who would it protect? The UDFA guys already usually know they're either a late rounder or UDFA and still decide to go pro anyways.

Advertisement
Thoughts on a policy allowing UFDAs to restore their eligibiity?

Adds a wrinkle to CFB roster management for sure.

As CFB inches towards outright "its their job" status, why not let someone come back?
I am ok with this. I'd also be ok with Day 3 types opting to go back to college should they not make an NFL roster with their rights being retained by the team that drafted them.

I don't personally have an issue with it but as others have mentioned, it might create a roster limits issue.

The whole problem with the draft advisory board is they'll only say round one, round two or "later". Later could mean 3rd. Later could mean 5th. Later could mean undrafted. It seems like there's too many players who seem to think it means 4th or 5th round when for them it means not drafted. Are players too gullible or are they not given enough information? Probably a little of both.

We also need to account for the fact that for a lot of guys, coming back for another year is not going to improve their draft stock. Just for example, Cam Harris wasn't going to play his way into being a draft pick if he came back for the 2022 season. Charleston Rambo wasn't going to runaa 4.4 or grow another two inches if he came back for another year. A lot of productive guys don't get drafted because of physical limitations. They're either too small or too slow and playing another year isn't going to make a difference.

As for finishing their degree, a lot of these guys either have their bachelor's or are maybe a semester or two away after three years on campus. Miami allows them to come back and finish so if the NFL doesn't pan out they can always finish up those last few credit hours.

Advertisement
Back