Thoughts on this season

Go Canes!!

Leading the charge
Premium
Improvement for this team has gone from slow, to steady to dramatic. It has been tough to see at times because of mitigating factors like QB injury, some bad game day coaching by Manny and others learning on the fly and historically inept kicking.

But after the bumpy start, there's a lot to be happy about.

The thread about the decline in penalties was mocked by the usual hate on everything mopes last week, but they matter. As did finding a kicker that can consistently make a PAT or chip shot FG.

Younger guys, particularly at DB and safety have settled in and are playing well. The o-line is literally night and day from the Gator game.

Most importantly, every decision made early that was ripped by some as stupidity, horrific coaching and fire Manny banner worthy--Starting Zion--Giving PT to Wiggins over Hightower--Jarren over Kosi and Tate--An improved Knowles being on the field until Bubba was ready--redshirting Lingard who knew in his heart wasn't ready--working with McCloud to ensure he gets his redsirt--have proven to be the right ones as the season has progressed.

Not saying this staff is perfect-there have been a ton of game day learning as he goes errors. But the big decisions made by watching and evaluating these players at practice every day, on and off the field, have inarguably been spot on.

Because of these decisions, aside from some depth issues every team faces, for the first time in a long time we will be going into an upcoming season with zero questions at QB, OL, DB, safety, DL, RB, TE and WR.

How long has it been since we've been able to say that?

Looking forward to a strong finish, on the field and in recruting. 2020 has a chance to be special.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah who deserves to be fired? Especially with the improvements we are seeing. Barry, Enos, Patke and Stubblefield have all saved there jobs buddy. They ain’t going anywhere. Don’t set yourself up for a letdown. Move on.

Let's see what Patke does with the new LB's. His ST have been undisciplined and awful. Coaching wise i like everyone but we still lack an elite recruiting closer.

Let's see what Patke does with the new LB's. His ST have been undisciplined and awful. Coaching wise i like everyone but we still lack an elite recruiting closer.

Agree 110% that something needs to be done about special teams. Don't know if a dedicated coach for that is the answer.

Our line backers played the best I've seen them play all year yesterday as far as making plays, however we got gashed by the Ville for too many big plays. This D is not consistent and has too many let downs during the game.

I agree with OP. We have had our ups and downs this season with a young team and new HC, OC, DC, but I have seen the improvements I have wanted to see. I think all the staff is doing an outstanding job and this young crew is starting to step up and learn how to play and win. Let's finish strong and keep improving. Next year is looking mighty fine my friends.

Advertisement
Our line backers played the best I've seen them play all year yesterday as far as making plays, however we got gashed by the Ville for too many big plays. This D is not consistent and has too many let downs during the game.

Somebody was noting the run D regressed when Miller and Nnukura were out. Agree with that.

Unrealistic expectations by marginal/cluless fans who never had actual experience with football (gaming doesn't count) led to much of the angst on here. The Keys: Discipline is much improved, O-Line playing together is developing as hoped, effort has improved, QB development improved, grasping/learning the offense expanding, and dealing with the prima donnas by rewarding the guys who buy in, on the field (The way it should be) are very positive signs moving forward.

To the extent we’ve “improved”, it was only because we were playing so badly in the first place.

When you win by 5 at home vs a previously 1-11 MAC team coRched by Jim McElwain , lose at home to a team that got routed at their home by Duke, and then lose at home to a team that lost at their home to a 6-4 FCS team, all in a span of 4 games, there’s only one direction for a season to go. Up.

Last edited:
PS We’ve actually been outgained in total the last 3 games. We got outgained by 114 vs Pitt, outgained FSU by 150, and got outgained by Louisville by 48. That’s a net of -12 yards.

We should be either 2-1 or 1-2 in the last 3 games. Not 3-0.

Advertisement
It's funny how people call fans "clueless" or "fairweather" because most of us believe we shouldn't have lost to UNC or GT. Had our only losses been to the turds and VT then I think people here would have been a lot calmer. There is no reason for Manny to lose those games.

Either way, they happened and there's no going back. But totally agreed on the progression over the last few weeks; it's encouraging to see. The thing that has plagued this program is inconsistency. Can we be consistent and play complete games like we have the last few weeks?

If we win out and get in a respectable bowl game then the sky's the limit next year. Pressure will be on Manny to then live up to that pressure even more so than this year. Consistency is key.

I want to see how we finish out. Manny said he wants to build a monster that lasts. That would require consistency and we're starting to see glimpses of that but there's not enough sample out there to see if he's hit that stride.

It seems the offense and defense flip-flopped in terms of stronger unit. Our offense is just starting to click and maybe Enos found the secret sauce after 8 games. Defense though needs some help. Still good but considering where this defense was two years ago we should still have that thing running good. Defense against FSU was terrific, yesterday--less so. I'm not sold on Baker. He's too inconsistent to fit into Manny's "Monster that lasts" vision. Finishing 8-4, Manny could go out and get himself another D Coord. that could fit that master plan better.

The future is brighter though. We have stability at QB--finally! Our O-Line under Feely and with experience will be way better next year giving QB more time and our running backs bigger gaps. Baxa will hopefully transfer out with Price taking over and more kickers in the pipe. Who knows, we may even get a Lorenzo Lingard sighting. Without getting too hyped--and pending a strong finished--I have a good outlook for this team.

PS We’ve actually been outgained in total the last 3 games. We got outgained by 114 vs Pitt, outgained FSU by 150, and got outgained by Louisville by 48. That’s a net of -12 yards.

But we're not. We're 3-0. I know, it hurts you to think about this team in a positive manner.

Advertisement
But we're not. We're 3-0. I know, it hurts you to think about this team in a positive manner.

This team sucks. It’s utter and complete garbage.

The team’s coach sucks, and we’ll be stuck with him for 4 years. To make it all the worse, about 80% of the fanbase will defend him until practically the day his tenure ends.

This is nothing positive about this team. Absolutely nothing.

While very happy with the turnaround, the season is a huge disappointment no matter how you slice it.

The losses to UNC and Ga Tech were inexcusable. The Va Tech loss is not as bad as once thought and the Gators are a good to almost great team so those losses are understandable. The CMU win truly felt as bad as the other losses as well.

Really should have done more with this team and this schedule that we had.

All that being said...it could have been worse but the team hung in there and gave us hope for next year.

This team sucks. It’s utter and complete garbage.

The team’s coach sucks, and we’ll be stuck with him for 4 years. To make it all the worse, about 80% of the fanbase will defend him until practically the day his tenure ends.

This is nothing positive about this team. Absolutely nothing.
Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of all that.nonsense.

This is not accurate unless you’re saying we only gained 50 yards against FSU

Advertisement
Back