NFL Thoughts on this kind of mindset?

Advertisement
He’s not wrong, but it’s kind of startling to hear a guy come out and say it.

He’s an idiot and I’d cut him after that quote. You’re paying guys to compete and win. If he’s not capable of taking the starting job and leading the team because the other guy has a bigger salary, he shouldn’t be paid anything or be on the roster. That kind of attitude will infect a locker room and destroy a team. His next quote “I’m only here for cleanup and incase Carson gets hurt. I’ll hold his place until he’s ready to lead the team to victory.” Good thing for all of us Tom Brady didn’t think Drew Bledsoe, who just signed the largest contract in football history, was guaranteed the starter.

Last edited:
Well, while I kinda agree with what @Boarcane is saying, I think Heinicke is very well aware that Wentz has the starting job simply based on the money that he is getting and this has happened over the course of the NFL at times. Everyone remembers Doug Flutie starting for the Bills until he lost his starting job because the owner made that decision right at the playoffs.

In this case, its not a extremely stupid thing to say, imagine if he said that he wants to compete with Carson for the starting job. Thats a lot of media coming Washingtons way and thats the last thing they want now with their owner and DC being in the news.

He is not saying he is incapable of leading this team, he is simply saying "They are paying someone else a lot of money to lead, so he will lead regardless of what I do". And while thats a very pessimistic statement to have, he is not wrong about it. But Heinicke is the last player to play without attitude, few QBs in the league imo sacrifice their bodies like he does.

Well, while I kinda agree with what @Boarcane is saying, I think Heinicke is very well aware that Wentz has the starting job simply based on the money that he is getting and this has happened over the course of the NFL at times. Everyone remembers Doug Flutie starting for the Bills until he lost his starting job because the owner made that decision right at the playoffs.

In this case, its not a extremely stupid thing to say, imagine if he said that he wants to compete with Carson for the starting job. Thats a lot of media coming Washingtons way and thats the last thing they want now with their owner and DC being in the news.

He is not saying he is incapable of leading this team, he is simply saying "They are paying someone else a lot of money to lead, so he will lead regardless of what I do". And while thats a very pessimistic statement to have, he is not wrong about it. But Heinicke is the last player to play without attitude, few QBs in the league imo sacrifice their bodies like he does.
He also sacrificed his soul. He’s a clown and with limited roster spots, there’s no room for quitters. The job is to win, not survive. It’s 4:20 am and I have to go to the gym. Next

Last edited:
If you don’t come in preparing like you’re the starter your mind set is already wrong. Ive seen too many stories of guys expecting to be backups and then being completely overwhelmed when called to duty. If Tom Brady had this mentality he’s not who he is. He’d just said “ I’m a sixth round nobody and they’re paying Bledsoe big money. Instead he came in working , prepping and living in the film room like he was the starter. Even though he was fourth string and barely made the roster.

Mind state goes a long ways in life and sports.

Advertisement
He never spoke about if he can challenge Carson Wentz.
He did his thing last year and admirably, so he's proven to the organization what he's got, and they being in a QB, who's comparable talent wise proven that he's anything but a winner in the NFL, but pay him 15x more. Never seen a QB ***** up so bad when pressure is on like Carson Wentz, maybe Rivers.
He's just speaking his mind, he's clearly miffed as he should be, I'd wanna be traded.

If you don’t come in preparing like you’re the starter your mind set is already wrong. Ive seen too many stories of guys expecting to be backups and then being completely overwhelmed when called to duty. If Tom Brady had this mentality he’s not who he is. He’d just said “ I’m a sixth round nobody and they’re paying Bledsoe big money. Instead he came in working , prepping and living in the film room like he was the starter. Even though he was fourth string and barely made the roster.

Mind state goes a long ways in life and sports.
Willie Beamen and Jon Moxon come to mind

It's entirely possible dude was just sick of answering stupid questions. He poorly worded 'they're not paying that guy 30m to sit the bench' which we've heard tons of times here.

Advertisement
Genius! Absolute genius!

As with any big market , his statement has placed Wentz under a stronger microscope and simultaneously given himself more publicity than he would get otherwise.

By stating the obvious, he has substantially added more pressure and scrutiny on Wentz ( Who continually tends to fail under pressure ) and provided the image that he is a team player not seeking to undermine Wentz. As usual, Wentz will fail on his own. He also smartly removed pressure on himself all the while setting himself up for a big payday should he win the job

:hh9beelfgeoezuwg.jpg:

I see nothing wrong with his statement. It goes without saying that ALL NFLers expect and are willing to compete for their jobs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back