Thoughts on the Delaney Mystery

HurricaneKush

Redshirt Freshman
I've seen the first two games, and obviously Delaney has been a straight up liability. I can't think of a single corner we've ever had get picked on to the degree Toledo picked on him, and he seemed utterly helpless to prevent it. It didn't even seem like he was moving until long after the ball was snapped. It was truly baffling to watch.

The popular conclusion is that he just sucks, but that doesn't totally add up. So he's sucked this whole time, but had all of FCS Football (not D1, but not nothing) NFL draft scouts, our own coaches for months of practice fooled? I don't buy that. It just doesn't make sense. You watch his highlights from Citadel and it obviously is not the same dude as what we've seen. What could explain this?

To me, the most likely answer has to be something going on Mentally or emotionally. My guess would be some kind of anxiety condition. Maybe the pressure of the bigger stage, or the risk he took and how much he has at stake, or just being in a new system with new people around him has him rattled. I've suffered from anxiety at points in my life, and the deer in the headlights, overwhelmed and unable to stop it nature of how bad he was last week kind of jive with some sort of anxiety attack or something to the eye test. It could also be mental. I don't want to disparage the kid, but maybe he is somewhat mentally slow, and is just overwhelmed and thinking too much. I know he's a Senior, so you'd assume he'd be more mature, but kids are kids, who knows what his upbringing or mental and emotional health situation is at.

It's probable that he isn't the world beater we hoped for, but it's almost incomprehensible that he's as bad as he's been so far. Surely the coaches know something is up and will have tried whatever is in their power to set him right. I might be the last one on the island, but I think he can be good. He might just be one of those guys you have to figure out how to work with him.

Advertisement
Dominant 1st series by Delaney in press coverage. Frogtea.gif

He's just not a good zone corner, and frankly none of the defenders know how to play zone. Obvious adjustment by Diaz to play more press-man, although Redwine already got exposed in off-man a couple times.

We killed the kid now give him credit he bounced back and played with confidence. Him getting his hounds on receivers really helped him. He needed this next week we have FSU and NEED him to play confident

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back