Thoughts on Manny as Athletic Director?

I believe a lot of you are talking apples and oranges. The best leaders set the vision and the culture, then hire quality staff to carry out that vision. The really smart ones hire talent that is complementary to them, not identical. One of the issues we have had at AD is that we have rarely if ever had complementary talent.

So for example, Blake is reputedly a fundraiser. That is theoretically fine, if he then had the bench to handle the day to day operations, legal/regulatory matters, sport connections, etc. Best example is having Jen Strawley there. Having her work under a Sam Jankovitch might have worked, but it simply doesnt under Blake James.

Advertisement
Sorry, but that season makes up 50% of his coaching career. If you want to ignore it, that's on you. I was thinking the 15-0 posts were a joke, but it seems like you legit think that so there really is no more argument here.

Keep latching on to the "winning the offseason" hype. That's all we will be winning from here on out.

Who can argue with that kind of blanket statement?

Advertisement
Off-season Manny is my favorite Manny. Thinking about what he brings it honestly seems to me he would make for a heck of a hire as an AD. High energy, ability to sell the program even as it mires in mediocrity, good fundraiser, find and acquire offseason talent in both players and coaches. Would be an instant upgrade over James.
Your argument isn't without some merit.

Manny would be a better replacing Frenks. Alonso for AD and Ray Lewis for Law School head.
miniGif_20210622081717.gif

Advertisement
Off-season Manny is my favorite Manny. Thinking about what he brings it honestly seems to me he would make for a heck of a hire as an AD. High energy, ability to sell the program even as it mires in mediocrity, good fundraiser, find and acquire offseason talent in both players and coaches. Would be an instant upgrade over James.
Ideally, I see where you are going...that said, this is a brand new head coach that couldn't handle bringing in a true defensive coordinator that might do things differently than he did as DC.

Advertisement
Might be an unpopular opinion, but Mark Richt would be the perfect AD.

He's had a heart attack though and making good money as a commentator on the ACC network. He's right where he needs to be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back