Thoughts on GT and What Comes Next

SinCityCane

Recruit
- I love what Dawson showed the first four games, but completely dumbing down the playbook, even in terms of the types of running plays we ran was moronic, no matter who the opponent was. Use your playbook. Let the kids practice the best plays. 100% original, never before seen plays are extremely rare to run. It's about when you run the plays you do and how effectively you execute them, not devising some top secret set of plays you're gonna use in the perfect situation. Regardless, at the end of the day, Mr. "Let's end this ************ right now" should have done exactly that by calling a kneel down in the VICTORY formation. Epic ***** up by Mario and Dawson.

- I wish one of the knowledgeable football minds that breakdown our games by discussing plays in detail i.e. @Lance Roffers makes one specifically highlighting all of the egregious calls against us. I saw Roman's video on YouTube with a clip showing Bain getting tackled on a GT touchdown...we need a compilation of the rest of them. There were so many it was ridiculous. The more the team realizes they're getting worked by the refs, and the more those calls cost us big plays & points, the more they lose momentum and bounce in their step. How would you feel as a 19-year-old seeing it become apparent that you're playing against the other team and the refs? Especially on a sloppy night when your offense is struggling? Little by little, you could see the fire in our guys die down throughout the game with the combination of mistakes and an officiating crew that had it out for us.

- If politicians get doxed, why not crooked refs? Betting on sports is legal throughout most of the country these days. This is serious business, and as the investigations in the Donahue NBA cheating scandal proved, refs are the number one target when it comes to fixed games. Players have too much to lose. When they call games like they did Saturday night, their identities should be exposed and made public and they should suffer whatever consequences might come. If the NCAA and conferences don't hold them accountable, somebody should.

- It really doesn't help that the TV announcer literally said "what are you doing?" to running a play with 30 seconds left after calling out the fact that we should be running out the clock...just as Chaney took the hand off and gave the ACC refs a chance to work us like they'd already been doing all game. Bad look on our staff and program.

- Mario's refusal to kneel stinks of uber-machismo. Like he thinks kneeling is for wimps. Ridiculous. He deserves this ****storm. Like the Cubans say, "eso te pasa por ser comemierda" (translation: that's what you get for eating ****). Take the **** knee.

- People talk about all of the unlikely circumstances that had to come into play at the same time for us to lose the game, but I haven't heard much about the camera angles on Chaney's supposed fumble. I thought you can see he was down if you synced different angles together (like they're supposed to), but the fact that not one of the shots clearly showed him down with the ball in his possession was some awful luck. In the angle with the best view, Colby walks right in front of Don at the most crucial point and by the time he's walked past, the ball is out. Otherwise, the refs wouldn't have been able to do what they did. Brutal.

- I'm somewhat concerned that GTs new DC put out a blueprint on how to slow down TVD and this offense. After a certain point, TVD looked lost and didn't seem to know what he was looking at. A more talented defense running a similar scheme could give us serious problems. However...

- In his first full season as head coach at Oregon in 2018, Mario played #7 Stanford at home and, as we all know by now, similarly didn't take a knee and they fumbled & lost the game. The next 2 weeks? They won at #24 California and vs #7 Washington at home. The following year, in 2019 they went into Arizona State as #6 in the nation, favored by 14.5 and got upset. 2 weeks later, they beat # 5 Utah then #8 Wisconsin the game after that. What this tells me is Mario's players don't quit on him. Yeah, they know he and the coaching staff made a mistake. But they make mistakes in practice and in games, and a certain point everybody realizes we're all human. I think they'll play for him at UNC, and beating them like we all know they can would quickly right the ship and help us move on from the sorry excuse of a football game we saw on Saturday night. The posters quitting as fans because of one bad coaching mistake as if we went out and got routed by GT should take that into consideration, along with the fact that after last year's debacle of an offense he hired an OC that completely went against the run heavy offenses he's always been comfortable with. If he stays on that path of improvement, he'll hire an analyst he can call upon in any questionable spot or dive into learning the proper calls to make in different situations. At the very least, he'll probably take knees to end games from now on.

Go Canes.

Advertisement
Miami should publicly release the tape they put together to send to the league after every game about missed calls. Throw it on Twitter and let the Internet do its thing.

Advertisement
Back