Thoughts from the blunt

HurricaneKush

Redshirt Freshman
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
793
Haven’t been smoking much lately but decided to reflect on the state of affairs that I didn’t think we played particularly well and just beat Clemson at Clemson by 4 tuddies. I have notes on the Mario game management experience but it’s beyond irrefutable that for a long time it wasn’t clear if we’d ever be consistently good again, let alone great. We are consistently good, and will be for the foreseeable future. Here’s what stuck out to me tonight as I smoked the OG Kush and contemplated on how far we’ve come.

-Clemson is ****** goofy. Honestly, credit to Dabo for building what he did there because it’s a goofy *** place with goofy *** people. They all seem real nice though. But the “Death Valley” monicker… idk bout all that.

-Herbie and Fowler were in the pocket. Good showing for them. Love the point about how we look like old Bama. Kind of this boring death star that you always feel like if one or two things just went our way… then you look up and it’s 40-14. The thing about the tiger and Congdons home town were funny.

-Man… Heatherman is beating people before the ball has been snapped. Nobody’s plan A has worked against us at all.
Everything that anybody has done against us has come outside of structure. Enjoy it while it lasts, somebody is gonna swoop him up as a HC.

-But… if the rush doesn’t win, idk why but we just don’t cover anybody in backyard ball. Idk if it’s a scheme or player thing. I think either way obviously getting corners back is essential. In their defense, we’re winning off the line a lot and not wrapping up the QB well enough.

- D-Line… it’s looking how it’s supposed to look. Wilson made himself money tonight.

- Toure has really turned into a stud stud. 9 was also great. I’m eating a lot of crow here and remain nervous about the right team smoking them in coverage but they’re ballin.

- Tough night for 0… yikes. I know a lot of guys are shuffling and he’s not doing his usual thing but 25 needs more of those snaps as we go along. Is what it is.

- The crazy thing is I think this was about as well as this could have gone for Clemson. Taint (that’s his name now), credit to him and his dumb name, this was as well as this could have gone for him. He ran around like a maniac and kept finding dudes. They also got home with the rush a lot, their corners as advertised… this is just the gap between where the programs are at.

- Quietly excellent game for Toney. Stats don’t show it but he just makes it go.

- Dawson drives me crazy. I don’t understand why he feels the need to make gentlemanly proclamations that yes, good sir, we will be running something slow developing up the middle. We use absolutely no attempt at deception in the run game. Years of this. He was all over the place tonight. Felt like he didn’t have the pulse of the game.

- Good to see that Mensah can take a hit but we just gotta figure this out.

- Much better stuff from 65.

- it’ll be discussed but it’s nearing panic time with the Cantwell thing. Red alert. When Merriwether went in there it’s like he’s not even next man up? Who knows what’s goin on there.

- Dabo is goofy. They’re not well coached. This is his last year there. They fancy themselves as a contender and he’s lost the sauce.

Much needed break coming up. Team needs to heal and practice and install some new stuff. Feels like people have gotten some tape on us. Excited to end the Norvell era in style.
 
I think they’ve told Cantwell he can either bend and get lower pad level or he’s not playing. Or maybe they’re gonna give him nothing but LT reps from here on and Samson has that LT spot on lock so thats why we’re not seeing him. Who knows.
 
You cannot beat this defense if you are one dimensional. The only hope you have right now is throwing the ball becuase of our cornerbacks. If you have a QB that cannnot move in the pocket. You have to do the Stanford approach and take your chances with the holds. This D line is balling right now. Any run first team is playing right into our strengths.
 
I think they’ve told Cantwell he can either bend and get lower pad level or he’s not playing. Or maybe they’re gonna give him nothing but LT reps from here on and Samson has that LT spot on lock so thats why we’re not seeing him. Who knows.
Your last statement is probably wats going on. Giving him snaps at guard doesn’t really help him or the team. Hes not a guard and he would be taking away snaps from ppl who r guards.

Maybe we see some shuffling on the OL over the bye week due to injuries. If I see Meriweather at tackle again I will lose my mind, RG or LG for him nothing else. Maybe Cantwell starts getting reps at RT.

In a perfect world, Cantwell is able to play RT, and if McCoy is healthy you slide him inside, if not Meriweather, Buchanan, and Congdon rotate at the guard positions.
 
I think they’ve told Cantwell he can either bend and get lower pad level or he’s not playing. Or maybe they’re gonna give him nothing but LT reps from here on and Samson has that LT spot on lock so thats why we’re not seeing him. Who knows.

McCoy came back so he must okay. I don’t see them sliding him inside because he’s already shown he’s a better tackle than he was a guard. Yes, he had some rough reps tonight, but he was blocking the best pass rushers he’s seen all season. Congdon is well on his way to taking all the snaps at LG, and Buchanan has shown a marked improvement as the season has went on so I only expect him to get better. There was a huge difference in run blocking when he went out of the game compared to when he got back in after halftime.
 
McCoy came back so he must okay. I don’t see them sliding him inside because he’s already shown he’s a better tackle than he was a guard, and Congdon is well on his way to taking all the snaps at LG, and Buchanan has shown a marked improvement as the season has went on so I only expect him to get better. There was a huge difference in run blocking when he went out of the game compared to when he got back in after halftime.
Don’t think McCoy is a better at tackle than guard. I really don’t think it matters with him, he can do both and do it a level probably better than any of our other guards.
 
I think they’ve told Cantwell he can either bend and get lower pad level or he’s not playing. Or maybe they’re gonna give him nothing but LT reps from here on and Samson has that LT spot on lock so thats why we’re not seeing him. Who knows.
He just isn’t that good yet, nor ready - it’s not a big deal.
 
Your last statement is probably wats going on. Giving him snaps at guard doesn’t really help him or the team. Hes not a guard and he would be taking away snaps from ppl who r guards.

Maybe we see some shuffling on the OL over the bye week due to injuries. If I see Meriweather at tackle again I will lose my mind, RG or LG for him nothing else. Maybe Cantwell starts getting reps at RT.

In a perfect world, Cantwell is able to play RT, and if McCoy is healthy you slide him inside, if not Meriweather, Buchanan, and Congdon rotate at the guard positions.
I respectfully disagree on Cantwell only being able to play LT. I believe it was something more along the lines of Cantwell being beat up. Likely happened in practice. Cantwell was in on PAT's and on one in particular he looked as though he was agonizing while jogging back to the sideline.
 
Your last statement is probably wats going on. Giving him snaps at guard doesn’t really help him or the team. Hes not a guard and he would be taking away snaps from ppl who r guards.

Maybe we see some shuffling on the OL over the bye week due to injuries. If I see Meriweather at tackle again I will lose my mind, RG or LG for him nothing else. Maybe Cantwell starts getting reps at RT.

In a perfect world, Cantwell is able to play RT, and if McCoy is healthy you slide him inside, if not Meriweather, Buchanan, and Congdon rotate at the guard positions.
I respectfully disagree on Cantwell only being able to play LT. I believe it was something more along the lines of Cantwell being beat up. Likely happened in practice. Cantwell was in on PAT's and on one in particular he looked as though he was agonizing while jogging back to the sideline.
I agree, but I don think he’s necessarily a guard. I think the guard 2 deep should be Congdon, Buchanan, SJ, and Meriweather. Prioritizing Cantwell at either of the tackle position is necessary for depth purposes. If McCoy or Samson get hurt I don’t want to see Meriweather at tackle.
 
Back
Top